Monday 23 September 2019

An Embroidered Holiday Diary: New York City


Hello! I am very happy to say that my embroidered souvenir of our recent trip to New York in the summer holidays is finished and joins it's companions on the wall in the dining room. The weather here on the south coast has taken a wet, windy and distinctly autumnal turn over the last few days, and so it's especially lovely to indulge in some holiday memories before my thoughts turn more towards crocheted socks and lighting the fire. 


This project has been an absolute pleasure to create from start to finish. From dreaming about what I'd sew while we were on holiday, to sketching out a plan when we got home, and then each day finding an hour or two for a little embroidery during the summer break.

Starting with the US flag as a central point I worked outwards, including Central Park, with it famous rocks and lake, a bowl of ramen noodle soup, and a doughnut.


On the opposite side I sewed a brownstone building, plate of waffles, hat-wearing theatre symbol and a hot dog.


A little lower down we have the Subway sign and the Guggenheim museum....


...with the Brooklyn bridge on the other side.



And at the bottom, the Empire State Building, a slice of pizza, a taxi, baseball bat and ball, tub of ice cream, and the Statue of Liberty.


There are seventeen motifs in total, and each one represents a particular day or place or moment; the hot dogs we ate at the baseball game, the taxi we took to and from the airport, the subway trains we rode everywhere, the bridge we walked over in the midday heat, the trip to see Wicked at the Gershwin theatre, and Red White and Blue waffles for breakfast in a diner. So much fun and happiness and memory making in all those little French knots and shiny satin stitches.


The images are topped and tailed by the place and the year, sewn in the New York typeface which was tricky to copy, let me tell you.

My inner perfectionist, always my loudest critic, says that the composition isn't perfectly balanced. To that I would say that it was a fairly organic project, with me not knowing exactly what I would sew or how big it would be until I started sewing it. It's not like I planned it all out on the computer before I started. I framed this one myself, saving around £50, but with that I have to accept that it's not as beautifully framed as it would be had it been done by a professional. It's a smidge too small for the frame (another inch either side would have been ideal but I didn't have a frame that exact size) and, despite stretching the fabric as hard as I could, it's not as drum-tight as it was in the embroidery hoop.


But this sounds like I'm not happy with it, and I am, I absolutely am. It was so much fun to sew and it was, without question, the best family holiday we've ever had, and those memories are forever there on my embroidery wall to be enjoyed by us all. 



31 comments:

  1. What a great memory embroidery you've created. I love it and it looks so good hanging along with the others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of hard work and love has gone into that embroidery. Lovely memories too. A constant reminder...there on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful! What a great memory of your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how much I loved your other holiday embroideries, but this one is maybe your best so far. You have not only the creative mind to come up with the original idea and each picture, but also the patience and skill to make it come true and alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a life-long non-sewing person, I find this incredible! Did you create it "freehand" i.e. make up the design of each element as well as sewing it? Wow. You might as well ask me to do quantum physics. Sewing on a button is my absolute limit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although with the Statue of Liberty I did sketch it onto paper first then trace it as I wanted to get the proportions right. :-)

      Delete
  6. It's absolutely lovely Gillian, it really is. Honestly, you're so good at creating things in embroidery, it's a real gift. The textures are fantastic. And I love how everything represents a moment or moments in your holiday. Nicely done indeed. Central Park and the Statue of Liberty are very cleverly done. And it looks really good on your wall with the others. Where next I am wondering... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. so much detail...wonderful way to remember the memories of a wonderful holiday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Far from being imperfect. Artful is usually trying to be imperfectly perfect to avoid staleness and stasis. There is no such thing as perfect - look at all the wonky petals on flowers - which perfectionists insist on drawing as symmetrical (thereby rendering it imperfect - ironically enough). Why point out perceived flaws? Be happy with your lovely embroidery and proud of your work. There is not a crinkle in that framed embroidery! And if there was it would still be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's absolutely beautiful!! I love how the motifs stand proud of the fabric, giving it life rather than flatness. It's been created with a loving heart and talented hands and your family will look at it and remember that wonderful holiday and that's the most important thing. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a very talented lady, Gillian. Your embroidered diary is beautiful! I think we are always over critical about things we create ourselves. The fabric looks well stretched to me. It's a wonderful record of your trip and looks so good with the others on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful way to capture your memories, I love every motif and you've stitched it so beautifully. The wall looks amazing, such a personal way to tell your families story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a beautiful way to capture your memories, I love every motif and you've stitched it so beautifully. The wall looks amazing, such a personal way to tell your families story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is amazing! So thoughtful and full of wonderful memories. A family heirloom to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is utterly charming and totally brilliant. So much so I am wondering about doing one retrospectively of our time in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is just lovely, so beautifully curated and stitched and such a beautiful family momento for you all to treasure for many years to come. Thank you for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's just beautiful! All of your embroideries are. You are creating lovely family heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a brilliant finish! I love it and what a great holiday memento it is. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your newest addition to your "gallery of memories' is great and SO creative. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's an amazing embroidery and an exceptional memory wall!Congratulations. AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love this! It's such a good idea of yours and, as you say, gives joy on so many levels - the holiday itself, the sewing and the reflecting. I guess you could extend this idea a little further and maybe do one for each year ... or something ... just an idea, but yours are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. P.S. when I said one for each year, I meant as a reflection on each year, I know that you do one for each holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! I knew it would be ACE. Sits very well with the others. Hope they don't get too dusty - that might just be my house!! Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful way of showing precious memories... and it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it’s amazing, you should be very proud! How did you do the stretching to frame it? I’ve never been brave enough to frame embroidery myself but I’d like to try. I struggle to press out the marks from the hoop as well, don’t want to use steam in the iron in case I get the work too wet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to include photos of how I stretched it - I will make sure I blog about it. Thank you for reminding me!

      Delete
    2. Actually, if you have a look at this post below, I remembered to take photos of how I stretched the sampler I made:

      http://www.talesfromahappyhouse.com/2018/06/abc-cross-stitch-sampler.html

      Hope it's helpful. x

      Delete
  25. I love EVERY SINGLE THING about your embroidery work. It is simply beautiful. You are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Conjures up such a spirit of place - precise, but sort of cheeky and quirky at the same time. The whole collection looks great. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.