Friday 30 August 2019

Making the Most of the Weather


When the sun shines over the August bank holiday weekend in the UK, you just have to give in to it and enjoy it. John had to work all three days unfortunately, but each evening we made the most of it, drinking cold beers in the sun, lighting the barbecue and sitting outside until it got dark. One night we had chicken and turkey sausages (from Lidl - very nice) with a warm roasted vegetable and bulgar wheat salad, another time veggie burgers with curly fries and corn on the cob. Dessert was ice cream or marshmallows toasted and squashed between two chocolate digestives. 


During the day the kids and I stayed home a lot. Apart from swimming lessons, the odd trip to the shop and seeing family, we hung around the garden pretty much the whole time, deliberately avoiding the beach and the inevitable traffic queues. I always love the way the garden becomes another room when the weather is warm for an extended period of time. The kitchen door always open, the paddling pool filled, the parasol up, the table covered in books, towels, drinks.


It was hot and dog walks needed to be done early, then Ziggy spent the rest of the day moving from grass to bed to an old duvet that Bella put outside for him. 



John was home on Tuesday so we made that our bank holiday. We went down to the beach late afternoon and spent a lazy few hours there. The sea was warm and clear and there was virtually no wind, it was absolutely lovely (and no traffic!).


I was conscious that this might be our last chance to swim in the sea this year and I really didn't want to miss out. Once we go back to work and school it's so much harder to find the time, the weather is cooler, and before you know it, it's autumn. 


 We finished the evening with the obligatory fish and chips, bought from the fun fair and eaten on the beach. I file these little moments away in my head, to be pulled out and remembered when I'm back at work and it's cold and raining.


At home, work on my blanket progresses slowly during the evenings, when it's too dark to embroider. It's too big for the basket now.


My parents returned from their holiday in France with the most wonderful bag of gifts for us. As well as a crepe pan (a frying pan just for pancakes - I am very excited!) and a tea towel embroidered with a jaunty seagull, there was a fabulous array of edible goodies. Sardines, caramel sauce, local sea salt, dark chocolate and raspberry jaffa cakes....and my absolute favourite, fish soup. Honestly, it was like Christmas! I absolutely love looking around food shops and supermarkets abroad. What people like to cook and eat interests me much more than what they wear, and I have spent many a happy hour or two in Super U on holiday in France.


Harissa paste. My mum said "I thought you'd appreciate the tin" - she was right.



One last thing: I have been nominated for an Amara Interior Blog Award in the Best Creative Skill category. Whoever that was, THANK YOU. It really, really means a lot. Shortlisting is determined by a combination of votes and judge selection, and so if you would like to vote for me you can do so here. Thank you. 




18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect bank holiday weekend. Fish and chips after spending the day on the beach - can’t beat it. CN x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 2nd link to vote doesnt work for me. You may want to check and link again... I have voted! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know. I've just checked and re-linked. :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Gillian for continuing to write posts. So many bloggers have closed down their blogs and switched to posting only on Instagram. Your blog is my favorite and I really appreciate your taking the time to share the details of your cooking, decorating,crafting etc. And you have a wonderful personality on top of everything else! You've got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, that's so kind of you, thank you. I enjoy it. I like Instagram very much too, but for me there is definitely room for both.

      Delete
  4. A summer holiday to remember - ours will be for completely different reasons but we did have moments of fun. Your pictures bring back memories of seeing my two daughters happy and relaxed in the garden - usually building dens - soon it will be my grandchildren. Love those tiny decorated tins. Well done for the nomination I will try and link through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love your blog so naturally have just voted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful gifts you received from your parents. I like shopping in a supermarket on holiday too. And you've got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely French gifts. And raspberry Jaffa cakes - who knew? Harissa paste is scrumptious. I marinade cashew nuts in a mixture of that and shoyu then dry them out in a very low oven until crispy. I know what you mean about food from other countries, I love looking around food shops and markets too. Glad you had a last swim in the sea and some lovely garden time. I shall be outside tidying this weekend I hope, in between cricket matches, after being a bit busy lately. And I'm looking forward to it. Have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gillian, love your blog, (have been reading for a while but never commented before) so just voted for you! Originally from Derbyshire, I went to Uni in Leeds and have now been living here in Barcelona for the las 34 years! Hope you enjoy the last of the summer and look forward to reading more entries! All the best, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living vicariously again through your lovely sunny weather. We had 3 days of sunshine and now back to rain and high winds and cold. Autumn has very definitely arrived up here. These must be Saltwater sandals are they, since you're dunking them in the sea? Schools have been back since the 21st August here and I've kept meaning to go to the beach now that it's empty (not that it ever gets that crowded), but the weather hasn't been enticing. The water of the English Channel always looks different to the water of my Moray Firth/North Sea - sort of chalkier. How lovely of your parents to bring all those French treats back. I have the exact same sardines from our big pre-Brexit wine buying trip last year. Still got some yellow French beans in jars, mirabelle and reine-claude jams and bottled fizzy water left, along with the wine.
    Enjoy your last precious days of holiday. Oh, and I've voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I follow French shoppers around super U! What do they do with those ingredients? . . . and hidden under the salad in the bottom of the fridge are raspberry jaffa cakes. I daren't buy the white choc cherry ones - they wouldn't make it past the car park ;o) enjoy the few precious days left

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely French food stash from your Mum! Love the Harissa paste tin. Vote completed by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Voted. Good luck. AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally with you on finding what people eat more interesting than what they wear! Have voted, good luck, really hope you win 🤞🤞

    ReplyDelete
  14. This past weekend was almost too wonderful to be true - everything I love about summer combined. It was very hot on Saturday (31 C, no wind) and only slightly cooler yesterday, but that seems to have been it; autumn is fast on its way, and we'll be in the mountains in Austria for the next two weekends, where it will be cooler anyway.
    Like you, I made the most of the great summer weather and warm evenings (G&T under starry skies - how does that sound?) and will remember this for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even my children (the same age as yours) love to walk around French Supermarkets!Love your haul. Happy days of Summer, well recorded. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.