Sunday 19 May 2019

Ten


Angus turned ten last weekend. We were all up very early, John and I blearily watching him open his gifts in a sun drenched kitchen while drinking cups of tea. By 9 am he'd opened his cards and presents, built a Lego set and eaten a plate of waffles. Later that morning he celebrated with his friends, going to Flip Out for an hour of intense bouncing and jumping, followed by the all you can eat buffet at Pizza Hut. I've eaten better meals but if you show a group of ten year old boys a pile of pizza, a salad bar, several "unlimited-refill" fizzy drink options and a make-your-own ice cream station, then they will be very happy indeed. Bella came too and was very good about it all, I actually think she may have had fun although she rolled her eyes about having to spend the morning with all Angus's friends.


His gifts included sports wear, Lego and books, all his favourite things. His Leeds Utd football top was a hit, (although we are not feeling quite so celebratory about the end of their season...) and his San Jose Sharks hat was put on straight away, even while wearing his pyjamas. He was given a child's Fit Bit-style watch, and loves telling us at regular intervals how many steps he's done that day, regardless of whether we've asked or not. Not to be outdone. Barry the Badger was given a bath and received a few new clothes in honour of the big day.


The cards this year were excellent.  


Lots of badgers, and Bella painted him one.


The birthday cake was, as ever, traumatic. Angus had requested a chocolate cake covered in white chocolate buttons. Very simple you'd think, wouldn't you? The first was underdone in the middle, despite me testing it with a skewer, and when I cut it in half the centre was completely raw, there was no way I could ice and serve it. The second cake was overcooked and bone dry, when I'd cut off the burnt bits and covered it in icing. I didn't have the time or energy to make a third, so we sang happy birthday and blew out the candles in the afternoon when my family all came round for a little tea party, and I just kept offering drinks in the hope that no-one choked in a crumb. My sister brightly said, "the icing is really good!" which I think says it all. I struggle with chocolate cakes, at least making one that is moist but still firm enough to be iced and decorated. I think in future I will just make a gooey chocolate fudge cake, something that is covered in frosting and looks a bit of a mess but tastes amazing. 


Thank goodness for a cake topper in the shape of a badger wearing a party hat and bow tie, and holding a balloon. It was a brief distraction from the awful cake. But it was a lovely day, all in all, and so far ten is shaping up well: we still love badgers and reading, especially if they are fact books about natural disasters or explorers, we still love the outdoors and sports, and the Xbox, of course. 

17 comments:

  1. It all looks like a wonderful birthday. I love the badger on the cake, with a badger and candles you couldn't go wrong. It's my grandsons 10th birthday today and he's celebrating in a similar but quieter way ... with no badgers unfortunately ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Angus! Ten is such a fun age :) It sounds like you had a wonderful day celebrating him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks amazing! I love that he is wearing his hat with the label still on, that is exactly how it would go here too. There is a birthday on the horizon here as well. I am bracing myself. Glad he had such a good day. All you can eat is always a hit with boys I find. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not make a simple Victoria sponge type chocolate cake, the kind we used to have years ago. No bells and whistles simply a sponge with cocoa powder replacing some of the flower and a butter cream icing also flavoured with cocoa. The kind of thing that you would see at a Women's Institute cake stall, or ye olde tea shoppe or indeed children's party's. Very easy to make but good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so cute, wearing his hat with the labels. Congratulations to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, I'm glad he had a nice time. Chocolate cake can be tricky, I remember making one many years ago for my eldest son. I'd iced it with a sticky chocolate icing (sorry I can't remember the recipe) and set the Scooby Doo candle on the cake. We all gathered and sang happy birthday, lifted Scooby ready to cut the cake and found the underneath of sitting Scooby was pulling up the gooey sticking icing. Everyone laughed, it was a bit alarming but it tasted absolutely divine, Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those double digits are always a milestone...jumping around with your friends and party food sounds like a kids dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Angus. Your first big 0 birthday! Looks like fun was had by all. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Gillian
    I have a recipe for an excellent and simple chocolate cake which always works and is really moreish (it also keeps very well too). The blog post is here: https://feltabulous.blogspot.com/2012/11/chocolate-cake-recipe.html ( I think you'll need to copy this into a search engine).
    If you try it, let me know how you get on.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy wishes to a lovely boy! looks a real treat waffles and cake!...you did a wonderful job. loving the badger cards...happy memories and isn't he growing up!
    ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still doing the badger thing then? that has been quite sustained hasn't it. Happy Birthday Angus. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bad luck on the cake, it looks lovely. I always make Nigella Lawson's Old Fashioned Chocolate cake if I need one thats firm enough to be iced. Never failed me yet. Loving the slow cooker book btw, thanks so much for letting me know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely genuine delight on the birthday boy's face! Birthdays are exhausting. Hope you managed a large glass of wine/gin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely pics as always. I've been making this Mary Berry recipe for twenty years (my eldest is 21 this year) - it's foolproof, I promise. 2oz cocoa, 3 eggs, 4 fl oz milk, 6 oz SR flour, 1 teaspoon BP, 4oz stork, 10oz caster sugar. I bung it all in the food processor. Use 8 inch tins and cook for 25-30 minutes (I don't use the fan oven for cakes). It keeps really well (due to the high sugar content, I suppose).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gillian, the celebration looks great :-) look up and try the recipe for the hellmans mayonnaise cake, I've been making it for ever and it always turns out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great being ten day... pretty sure my being 12 would love it too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.