Saturday 11 May 2019

April's Cookery Book


Well, this book was a trip down memory lane. Published in 2008, when Bella was a toddler and before Angus was born, I completely associate this book with being a stay at home mum with very young children. Just one flick through it, and I was back in our kitchen in Leeds in the world of play groups and coffee mornings and nappies. One recipe in particular in this book, the cheese and ham muffins, was my go-to lunch recipe when my friend and her children would come for lunch. We had a standing Tuesday lunchtime date and would take it in turns to host, meeting with all our children before taking them home to be put down for naps. The muffins, I remember, were easy to prepare, delicious warm, and enjoyed by babies, toddlers and adults so a win. I cherish those memories and those weekly lunches, coffees, and play dates with my friends back then which, frankly, kept me sane. 

Tana Ramsay's Family Kitchen is a solid, practical cookery book, arranged into useful chapters like "cooking from the cupboard" and "trying new tastes", along with the usual breakfast, lunch, dinner and pudding. The only reason it's still on my shelf is that there are a couple or recipes in it which I use all the time which mean I haven't yet donated it to the charity shop. One of those is baked pumpkin, pancetta and pea risotto, although I use butternut squash instead or pumpkin and bacon instead of pancetta. It was a revelation to me that you could bake a risotto, instead of standing over the hob stirring for half an hour, and I use that recipe a lot.

But, looking through this book with fresh eyes last month, I really struggled to find things I wanted to cook. The tone felt patronising at times, the desserts seemed babyish, and there are so few imaginative meat free recipes. I realised that I, and my family, had perhaps outgrown this book. However, I persevered and found some little gems within those pages which we had fun trying out.

The first was "lime and ginger salmon fillets with noodles".


The fish is marinated in honey, mustard, ginger and lime juice before being pan fried and then put to one side. 


While the fish is cooking, you boil noodles and broccoli and then, while the salmon is resting on a plate, use the remaining marinade to make a sauce in the pan with some melted butter. 


It's a simple recipe which all comes together very quickly and everyone liked it. I would have preferred a little more sauce to mix in with the noodles and broccoli, but I guess the need to keep things plain goes back to catering for young children and their need for things to not be "mixed in" but easily separated and identified. (Actually, Bella and Angus can still be a bit like that now....)


Next we have "chicken in a pot", or pot roast chicken. This was ideal for a Sunday night dinner when I want to feed everyone something hearty and a bit more special than weeknight fare, and have time to spend a bit longer in the kitchen, but can't be bothered to cook a full on roast dinner. 


You begin by browning bacon and onions, before removing them and then browning the chicken in the same pan. Now, browning a whole chicken is no mean feat, let me tell you. It's like wrestling with two forks. Then you add carrots and leeks, the onions and bacon, plus stock, chopped tomatoes and herbs before bringing the whole lot to the boil and then putting it in the oven for an hour. 



Half way through the cooking time you remove the lid, letting some of the liquid evaporate and the breast of the chicken brown a little. At the very end, you remove all the meat and vegetables with a slotted spoon and put them on a serving plate, before thickening the liquid left in the casserole dish into a gravy.


It's wonderful, as you would expect. The chicken is moist, the vegetables tender, and the gravy full of the flavour of bay and thyme. We ate it with roasted new potatoes. There was a lot more left over then I'd expected, quite a lot of meat, vegetables and gravy, and so we turned them into a leftovers risotto later that week.

I felt uninspired by the puddings chapter in this book but the "tea time treats" section was full of good ideas for cakes, lunchbox treats and the like. The "almond and apricot yoghurt-coated bites" caught my eye - little homemade cereal bars, topped with a yogurt icing.


Omitting the almonds (nut free school) I mixed rice crispies, chopped dried apricots and dessicated coconut in a large bowl.


Next, melt together syrup, sugar and butter and let them boil a little to become more syrupy, then mix into the dried ingredients. 


Then these sticky morsels are baked until they form round biscuity, chewy bites onto which you are supposed to drizzle a little icing when they have cooled. 


Except mine didn't work. They came out of the oven as crumbly and sticky as they went in, and could only be eaten with a spoon. I must not have let the syrup boil for long enough, so I baked them again, but still there was no way on earth I could call these lunchbox treats.


I scraped the lot into a tuppaware container where is was absolutely lovely scattered on top of Greek yogurt for dessert all week, sort of a DIY Muller Crunch Corner.

So, I am wondering now whether to hang on to this book or not. On balance I think it's earned its place on the shelf, certainly for a few stand-out recipes, although I would certainly substitute a lot of the meat for vegetarian options now. But our children, at almost-ten and twelve and a half, are no longer the small people wanting easily-identifiable food served on their yellow plastic Miffy plates. However, they are not quite old enough yet to embrace the kinds of food that John and I want to eat - they still remain suspicious of lentils, wary of chilli and flat-out refuse to eat aubergine. It's tricky, finding meals that everyone likes, that are easy to prepare, healthy and also budget friendly, isn't it? Thank goodness for pasta pesto. 



17 comments:

  1. The salmon & chicken dishes both sound good, though pity about the little snack bites. Thanks for sharing & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These posts are my favorite. I don't own too many cook books any more, but you make me want to go out and purchase some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember getting together with friends when we all had toddlers - it was wonderful. Some very happy memories! It certainly is hard to please everyone at mealtime, but it seems like you do a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The salmon sounds lovely. Many yrs ago I remember Waitrose (staff dining room) planning weekly menus with different daily choices. One particular day they cooked gingered fish - it was white chunky cuts of fish fried with ginger. It was divine.
    After my second child a friend and I met on Monday mornings. It was a happy time indeed. She'd just had her third and whilst our boys played we chatted, memories. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Write the good recipes in a notebook and then send the book to the charity shop? That's my ruse for cookery books that are no longer earning their place on the shelf. You gain a nice week personal notebook of favourites - choose a lovely notebook and it's a pleasure all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great idea. Someone here suggested scanning and printing it too which is a good idea given my appalling handwriting....

      Delete
  6. Hi Gillian

    I've recently bought this book from a charity shop so I'm looking at it as a newcomer with fresh eyes. I flagged up some recipes too try and the salmon and noodles one was the first, it was great and will be made again. The other recipes with post-it notes are are foolproof hummus, sardines with avocado on toast, chicken breast with red lentil sauce, sausage casserole with savoy cabbage and butter beans, Moroccan chicken with couscous, steak burgers with roasted red pepper sauce, leek and bacon pie and frozen yogurt. Any successful recipes will be photo'd to keep on my laptop and then the book can go back to the charity shop again.
    I'm a recovering cook book addict and I've gone from over 300 down to around 50, they were all charity shop buys so I'm not too profligate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 300, goodness! You were an addict! The chicken breast with red lentil sauce caught my eye too, I liked the way she described how it was a warming meal after swimming lessons. :-)

      Delete
  7. My eldest is 25 and still refuses to contemplate an aubergine! She's the same with mushrooms too - I think it's more a texture than a taste thing. Glad you were able to use the lunch box treats. Your description of your lunches with toddlers took me right back. Our 'Mums and Chums' group kept me sane too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have two incredibly fussy kids (and one not fussy at all. I discovered that vege chilli with lots of suspicious beans goes down very well if the put it into a wrap like a burrito. Possibly because they can't see the beans? Not sure but it suddenly became a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two are much happier to eat vege chilli when I serve it with tacos, which are basically giant tortilla chips as far as I can tell!

      Delete
  9. I also had that book when my big kids were little but I never found it that inspiring and it's long gone! I'm not the cookbook addict that you are but if I only use a couple of recipes in a book I now scan and print them out for a ring binder that ONLY has recipes in it that I actually use, then take the book to the charity shop. There are a couple of Delia Smith books in my pile destined for that treatment shortly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea. I have a small folder which is bursting with recipes that I've been given, or I've torn out of magazines, or those recipe cards you pick up in the supermarkets. I have no idea what is even in there now and I was thinking just yesterday that I really must go through it and sort it out.

      Delete
  10. The "chicken in a pot" dish looks so good - perfect for a Sunday evening dinner! What size dutch oven did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite big - 30cm diameter and 13cm high. I remember thinking it was a lot to spend on a pot when we bought it, but we've used it so many times, it was absolutely worth the money.

      Delete
  11. Oh my, pasta pesto! Thank goodness indeed. And I do miss those Miffy plates...

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.