Tuesday 12 February 2019

Goldenrod Sweater


For a long time I held the opinion that, when it came to woollen clothes, knitting had the edge on crochet. I thought that crochet, that yarn-eater of a craft, was better suited to warm blankets and scarves, or open, lacy shawls, and it seemed that most of the crocheted jumpers, cardigans and tops I saw on Ravelry were not something I would ever want to make or wear. But thankfully that seems to be changing as more and more crochet designers are producing patterns for garments that don't look like they were made from scratchy yarn in 1987, and are actually photographed and styled in such a way that they are appealing. 

Via Instagram, that goldmine of crafting inspiration and my favourite time-wasting activity, I stumbled upon Eleven Handmade and her Goldenrod sweater, and fell instantly in love. 


I bought the pattern on holiday in Devon last year, while browsing Etsy on my phone in bed (funny how I remember that) and, impatient to be started, ordered the yarn at the same time so that it would be ready to start when I got home. However life got in the way and I didn't actually begin the project until October when I got as far as the shoulders, before putting it to one side as Christmas gifts took precedence. I picked it up again in early January and have been steadily working on it a little most nights since then, a few rows here, a few there. 


The pattern is made up of trebles and puff stitches, with a little front and back post stitch at the cuffs and hems. It starts at the neck and works its way downwards until you stop at the arms, leaving two holes to join the arms later, and continuing down the rest of the body.


It's crocheted in the round, with a subtle seam marking the beginning and end of each row, just visible at the back.


The front and back post stitches create a ribbed effect and give a neat, tight finish to the ends of the arms and body.


I really like it and know that it will definitely be something I wear a lot. I prefer to wear block colours over pattern, and favour blue, grey, black and mustard in my wardrobe (as well as a lot of striped tops) so this jumper will go well with my clothes, especially my black and grey jeans which I wear to work a lot. Here I'm wearing it with a denim shirt underneath in the left hand picture, but it works with a crisp white shirt, long sleeved t-shirt or just a vest too, as in the right hand picture.


The pattern specified fingering/2 ply weight yarn, but all the ones I found seemed expensive, so I chose Drops Fabel which is a 4 ply/sport weight yarn that is well priced and machine washable. (I like Drops wool a lot and am using it more and more.) The pattern stated 600g of yarn, so I bought twelve 50g balls in Rust, but actually only used nine. I'm not worried about the three leftover balls, they will make a great shawl. So, with the cost of the pattern, the whole thing came in at under £28 which I think is fantastic, given that a good wool jumper costs upwards of £40 or £50. It came out a little baggier than I was expecting and, if I make another, I will go down a hook size from 4.5mm to 4mm for a slightly tighter stitch definition. 

*

Thank you so much for all your suggestions for what to watch on TV. What did we ever do without Netflix? We've just finished The Ted Bundy Tapes and they were alternately fascinating and sickening, as you'd imagine. I feel like something a little more upbeat now. Life is busy here at the moment but good - it's half term next week so we are counting down the days until then. 

17 comments:

  1. I love your sweater! It looks so great on you and the color is fabulous. Also, love your haircut! I know you are looking forward to half term break next week - I hope you have something fun planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your Golden Rod jumper. I made one in lavender.I agree with you on the sizing.I will definitely make another but will make it smaller next time. I also love Drops Fabel. Its brilliant for socks and so affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely sweater, and it looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love the color and texture of your sweater. I stick pretty much to scarves and blankets, so I really admire people who can make an actual article of clothing! Someone mentioned Shetland on a blog and I've been watching that on Netflix. Such beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jumper is lovely, the designer has beautiful patterns and I think crochet jumpers frequently look nicer than many rather ugly hand-knits I see even when made out of v expensive yarn. Knitters seem to be quite miserable compared to those who crochet (or those who do both) and knitware is often in dreary colours and poorly shaped, when potentially they might be lovely (there is a happy medium between garish and neon and faded or nondescript).

    Crochet when used well for garments has lovely interesting textures. I found it frustrating that it has taken so long for modern designers to appreciate the potential for garments, as they used to be made. Not liking too bulky though, so best to keep to the thinner yarns as crochet stitches are thicker than knitting, so 4 ply is a good choice, possibly comparable with dk in knitting. That's an excellent price too.

    I think there have always been nice patterns but just old fashioned pictures and lack of vision of people to see beyond that. Nonetheless, the field is really opening out now there is a move beyond blankets, which is great to see.

    I can easily do without netflix though - awful quality TV. So much TV is just crime and violence towards women. Not keen to endorse that myself. Don't want it in real life so why invite it into my living room as apparent entertainment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you for your comment. I agree that quite often the crochet pattern itself is lovely, it's just the photograph that is dated, and I'm afraid I am guilty of really struggling to see beyond a dated photo, especially when a variegated yarn hides the texture. It's the same when I'm looking at recipes in cookery books - I like there to be a photo for every recipe, ideally. I must lack imagination!

      Delete
  6. It is a lovely jumper, although a bit on the large side for you (or maybe you are too slim for it). Still, a cosy woolly jumper can very well get away from being large - it adds to the cosiness, doesn't it!
    We're in for a first period of early spring later this week. From tomorrow onwards, temperatures are forecast to be steadily rising until reaching an amazing 14 or maybe even 15 C on Sunday (in the sun and in wind-sheltered spots). I am very much looking forward to the weekend at O.K.'s, with hopefully a nice long walk or hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sadly it's not that I'm too slim for it!! I am hoping it shrinks by 10% when I wash it. :-)

      Delete
  7. Your sweater is gorgeous! I'm not a fan of oversized as I'm very small and I look swamped in loose clothes. I design my own knitting as patterns need to be altered so much is not worth the money buying them. I'm also a fan of top down seamless as this is easy to adjust for a perfect fit. I hope I can crochet a sweater or cardigan someday. Best, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely colour et it's exactly the kind of pattern I'm looking for. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done, I love it. Crochet jumpers are cool, nice and chunky and warm, love them. I fear my crochet skills are not up to it though. Drops wool is good isn't it. I made a fantastically warm blanket with Drops Alpaca I think it was called. Scrumptious, and very good value. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your jumper suits you Gillian. I love the rust colour, it reminds me of a suit I had once in rust cord. I was a teenager, think it was probably from M&S, C&A or BHS and I wore it to my first proper interview. Thankfully I got the job but wow, what a memory. Take care, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even lovelier on! Gorgeous jumper...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous and it really suits you. I need to venture out from scarves and shawls and tackle something similar. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks wonderful! I love drops fabel and have knitted socks in it. I am a fan of all drops yarn, as it has good eco credntials without breaking the bank. I have just made a slouchy jumper with knitting and it is really comfortable to wear. I hope you enjoy wearing yours. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness it is fabulous! I love it, such a fantastic color and pattern. You look wonderful, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it’s lovely! It’s a great colour too, looks good on you. One for the to do list for me there too I reckon! 😀

    S x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.