Saturday 26 January 2019

Paper Bags, Green Shoots and Oranges


It's been so cold here this last week, real mid-winter weather with frost covered mornings and bitter evenings where we've needed to light the wood burner. I love these cold, bright days, but found I could no longer resist the allure of a few potted tete-a-tete bulbs in the supermarket last week. I haven't bought myself any cut flowers for absolutely months and these little green shoots just needed to come home with me to brighten up the house a little. 


Marmalade fever continues here. The dark, thick-cut version I made with muscovado sugar is a-mazing. I think it's the nicest marmalade I've ever made, and the five jars will be gone in no time, I know. We are marmalade fiends here in this house. I am already wondering if I have time to make another batch while Seville oranges are in season. 


The orange and lemon version I made is lighter and fresher with a slightly softer set, and just as glorious. I used some in Nigel Slater's Frosted Marmalade Cake which I've just taken out of the oven.

I went to boot camp* again this morning. It was the hardest yet, and I know that everything will ache tomorrow, but I am enjoying it, in a begrudging sort of way, and will be sorry when it ends next week. Despite having a job where I am on my feet and moving around pretty much all day, I know that I do not do enough exercise that gets my heart rate up. Brisk dog walks are great, but I miss running. It's that lame old excuse though, isn't it: I'm just really busy. And exercise and sleep are the two things I cut back on when there aren't enough hours in the day which is pretty stupid when you think about it, from a self-care point of view. Is it the same for you? Anyway, I ate this for a late breakfast after boot camp this morning and it was perfect. 


 I've been faffing with pictures in the house lately, rearranging displays and trying old prints in new places. The result was an unintentional mountain theme on the picture ledge above our bed. 


I like it. Those peaked ridges combined with the wool granny square blanket underneath make me wish for snow. I am always wishing for snow, truth be told. Just one snow fall this winter would be lovely (especially if school closes and we all get a bonus day off!).


My indoor houseplant collection is ever growing and recently I have really struggled to find nice, water tight, indoor plants pots which aren't expensive. Once your plant gets to a certain size (ie. quite big) it's hard to fit them in a little basket. After a lot of research I finally stumbled upon these heavy duty, washable paper bags. They come in all different colours, sizes and patterns and are brilliant not just for plants but toys, recycling, yarn, whatever. 


I got mine from this Etsy shop as they seemed to have more of the really big ones than other places, and the dispatch and delivery was really quick too.


I also bought this paper bag below to hold our all reusable shopping bags. We must have about twenty but I never seem to have one with me when I need one, so am always cramming a basket's worth of food shopping into my poor, groaning, battered old handbag. This is helping me remember to actually take one with me when I go out. 


I should keep a few in my handbag too, I know that. I just forget. My head can only hold so much information and sometimes it feels like it's a one in, one out situation up there. More sleep and exercise would probably help with that but for now a cup of tea and slice of cake will have to suffice.

Happy weekend friends.



* Boot camp is an exercise and training programme, usually outdoors somewhere like a park, often using body weight exercise with running etc and quite high intensity. I am guessing the name comes from the US military style training programmes.


15 comments:

  1. The bags are a good idea. I have a few reusable bags, including one I always keep in my purse, but I actually prefer plastic bags from the store. I know that's really bad, and I should suck it up, but I find them easier to use and I do reuse them all over the house in the wastebaskets and for storing all kinds of things. P goes to a boot camp at his work gym and is usually hobbling around for a day or two after. I know what you mean about exercise and sleep going out the window, it's the same for me. I'm working on both, though. I wish I were one of those people who just loooooves exercise, if only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Scotland we've had a plastic bag charge of 5p per single use bag - paper as well as plastic, since 2014. It's cut single use bag usage by 80%, and most people now just take their reusable bags on every shopping trip. In fact it's frowned upon now when someone loads their shopping up into single use bags! Amazing what not wanting to pay 5p will do!!! We use the plastic wrappers that magazines and some clothes come in as our wastebasket and storage bags. Since all our food waste is collected by the local council along with our garden waste, there is no messy stuff going into the landfill bin any more, so we just put loose items in there without an intermediary bag. There's quite a groundswell of opinion against plastic use in the UK, including plant pots, led by the gorgeous Monty Don!

      Delete
  2. As usual, your photos are just beautiful and I enjoyed every one. I don't know anyone who has ever made marmalade - I don't think it is anywhere near as popular here in the States, but I enjoy it. After lots of snow, rain, freezing rain and ice all in the past week, I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to seeing some green shoots this spring. A few months off yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about cutting down on sleep and exercise. Never enough time for it all. I am in a whirlwind here, and I know I forget to look after myself. I always think I will, soon, I'll get to it. Well done on boot camp, it sounds brutal. Your breakfast was very well deserved I think! Love the paper bag full of bags, a great idea. I'm the same, stuffing things in my shoulder bag at the till. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are always so wonderful! I love the daffs in the little tin containers and your over-bed picture shelf. We have a good half-a-dozen hemp and hessian type bags for shopping. We do have a couple of 'bag for life' plastic ones which we use when we buy raw meat and fish. I've never heard of a washable paper bag! Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure I read you could make marmalade from previously frozen oranges, so why not buy the Seville oranges whilst they are available and bung them in the freezer until you have the time/inclination to make your marmalade?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marmalade making here too. I made a light marmalade with grapefruit last week and have a couple of kilos still in the freezer for when I have more time. I love finding the tips of bulbs poking through the borders in the garden. It gives me the push I need to clear around them.
    What did you use for the labels on the marmaladejars? I cannot remember what the plastic tape stuff is called and I need some to label stuff for my mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine. I used a Dymo Omega embossed label machine. I've just ordered some more tape actually!

      Delete
  7. Nice to have a look at more of the paper bags you showed on IG. They are very stylish! Your spring bulbs outside are so much further on than ours. Up in the north we have more snow forecast, and a gale is howling around the house just now. Wind chill temperatures next week at minus 5C. Same here, I cut down on sleep and exercise all through the hurly burly of full time work and 2 children - until the past few years when I've started exercising very regularly and really love it. It feels a real luxury now that I'm not responsible (along with husband of course) for 2 young people. Now they tell me what to do. Reusable bags soon pile up, don't they? We have a 'bag of bags' - a Seasalt jute one which carries our stock. We take a single bag or the whole lot depending on the size of the shopping trip. In fact we've discovered 'bag for life' souvenir hunting, and now have a collection from France, Sweden and Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, sleep and exercise are the two things we seem to cut back on when life takes over. Without enough sleep, I’m not a very happy person, and really the same with exercise. I’ve found that I need to keep both a priority and at the top of my list. Your marmalade looks so good! I’d love some on a slice of toast right now. And your little pots of daffodils are so bright and cheerful. I hope you have a great week, and remember to make time for yourself, it’s so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of those picture shelves is on my list of wants for our new house bedroom. Such a great way to keep it temporary and keep the pictures moving. Jo XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. The paper bags are a good idea - I didn't know such sturdy, washable ones made of paper exist. For shopping, I always use between one and three reusable bags; one is a Cath Kitston, the other has foxes printed on it, and the third is from a small independent shop in Ripon. All three are favourites and have been serving me well for years.
    Yes, sleep and exercise are often the first things we neglect when we are very busy; I'm no different, but it does not take long for my body to remind me of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi your pics look amazing! Can I just ask how you keep your home so clutter free? I’m really struggling to clear the kid clutter etc and love the way you present your home :) thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catching up later in the week... and oh my, I really need squashed avocado toast with a poached egg on top tonight. Sleep and exercise are always the first to be cut back for me and then (sssh) cleaning... Have you had any snow?

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the event that you need to become familiar with yourself by finding out about your progenitors, your examinations will be a lot less demanding to sort out and comprehend with a family tree. personalised papercuts

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.