Wednesday 19 December 2018

Twelve


Bella turned twelve this week. This birthday felt different to others - more relaxed, less stressful. She was still excited for weeks beforehand, counting down the days, but there was no party with friends this year, no balloons or party bags. Instead, we had a small family get together at the weekend which was just lovely, very easy going, and her cake this year was the easiest one I've made yet: a stack of peppermint Oreo brownies piled onto a cake stand and decorated with candles and a little banner I bought last year. (Sadly we won't be using it again as it got a bit too close to the candles....)

On her birthday, she chose to go shopping after school and spend some of her birthday money. Her purchases were researched beforehand, planned and considered; a sweet little silver ring (so grown up!) and a new jacket. Then we went to eat at Five Guys, her choice, and had burgers and shakes. It was all really nice and very definitely Not Stressful. Gifts included books, some new bedding for her room, clothes, a new school bag, craft and art supplies. Toys are not featuring much any more, but that's ok. She just leads the way, this child, forging her own path ahead. We are a bit blown away by how well she's doing in secondary school, by what she has the potential to achieve. Right now, she, Angus and John are at a science lecture at her school, at her request. She got a special merit badge for achievements in English, has just joined gym club and wants to join politics clubs but it clashes with swimming lessons. I don't know where she got her independence, motivation and work ethic from but I am extremely proud of her, if at times my head spins at the busyness of it all


Thank you so much for your nice comments and words of support. Things are looking up: the washing machine and roof are both sorted, and the boiler is nearly there. We are just waiting for a part. I feel a bit like we're clinging on till the end of the week here, I don't know about you.  A combination of tiredness and a lingering sore throat/cold that won't amount to anything or go away is sapping my energy, but there are still presents to be made and wrapped. I've just written a huge shopping list and am about to order all my food for the Christmas week. I wonder what I will forget?

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Bella! Heidi and Bella are in the same year and I have to report that we are quite astounded too. Secondary school has been really encouraging and she has had many rewards for reading and Geography. Heidi goes to Gym Club too and comes back on the public bus - all very grown up aren't they? Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to Bella! It sounds like she had a great day and that she is doing really well. I have to tell you that I love having a big kid around - a dreaded teenager, no less. He's a delight almost all the time. I don't know what people are so negative about. I think it's a very fun stage so far. He just got invited today to his first evening-time birthday party with both boys and girls invited. They're making burgers, apparently. I know the parents well and have no concerns, and honestly, at some point they have to have a chance to mix this way and the fact that my shy, geeky boy is looking forward to it really warms my heart and makes me happy for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Bella, what a lovely girl she is, I can well imagine how proud you are of how well she is doing. Her birthday sounds lovely, well done you for organising it all. Gorgeous photos, especially the brother one :) and the last one. Glad things on the home front are gradually being sorted. I shall be happy to get through my huge list of things to be done tomorrow, and also a few on Friday. Then there will be a big sigh of relief I think. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about forgetting anything - I doubt anyone will go hungry in your house :-)
    Bella's birthday and all her activities sound much older than 12, but I guess at times she can still be very much a child - at least I hope so for her sake... those years race by so fast, and she'll be an adult for much, much longer!
    The cold that kept me at home the weekend before last is still not entirely gone, but I feel mostly fine, just somehow lacking motivation for work (very unlike me!) these last few days before breaking up for Christmas.
    It feels a bit like being on a run, getting exhausted towards the end and wondering "why bother" when I could just as well walk the last bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Bella - a lovely age to be as you say carving her own path now and enjoying new ideas that come along.
    Perhaps you don't recognise it but I would say from reading your blog that the new independance, motivation and work ethic clearly comes from you and presumably your husband leading by example. There is certainly no mistaking that they are both your children both visually and in personality.
    Enjoy these years with Bella as you both discover what she is about to achieve and become.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Bella... I like that it sounds like a different way of celebrating a birthday, but equally as fun and special. I should start thinking about Patch's January birthday celebrations... Maybe Christmas first! Poor you all with the house things. Sigh. But the end of term must be near!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Bella!! It sounds like she had a lovely, relaxing birthday celebration. I hope you are feeling better soon, Gillian. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to Bella. I am so glad she had a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing Bella a happy birthday. What a lovely family time you all enjoyed. It really is the best. Merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated happy birthday to your Bella. These years speed by and we can but observe our amazing children in wonder (and supply the food) :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.