Sunday 16 December 2018

In Search of Christmas Cheer


It's been a bit of a week. On top of all the usual seasonal craziness, work, family life and everything, our washing machine died on Tuesday night. It's been playing up for some time. (It probably died from overuse, poor thing.) This is annoying and inconvenient, but my lovely mum has been doing washing for me, even returning it dried and ironed. She's a star. Then, on Wednesday night, our boiler stopped working. It's old and we feared the worst, and have known since we bought this house that it would need replacing soon. But a Christmas without heating? Not very cosy. Luckily a gas fitter was able to come out quickly and it's ok, it just needs a new part and, fingers crossed, should be fixed on Tuesday, the same day as the new washing machine is delivered. Things happened in threes, we joked, what would be next? Well, yesterday afternoon, as the rain hammered down outside, I heard a funny, irregular tapping noise in the dining room. What could that be I wondered, and looked up to find water coming in through the roof and slowly dripping onto the floor. Buckets were fetched. I left a message on the roofer's voicemail - we had a new roof only a year ago - and rang John, although he was at work so I don't know what I thought he could do about any of this. At this point I may have thrown all my toys out of the pram and had a bit of a cry. Anyway, the roofer called me back that evening, bless him, and is coming round first thing Monday morning. We think some lead flashing has come loose around the chimney as that's where the water is coming in. It's all fixable. Stressful, yes, but ultimately it will be fine. 

Anyway, what with all that I've really had to dig deep to find any kind of Christmas cheer, normally something I am brimming with. I usually love Christmas. We went to the garden centre last weekend and chose a tree. I always engineer visits to this particular place because I know they stock pink poinsettias, which I really do love. The pink petals with those dark, almost blue-green leaves are so pretty. I wrestled lights onto the tree and then the children hung decorations. So far we've only lost three to the dog, a huge improvement on last year. Bella commented that our ramshackle, mismatched collection of tree ornaments is starting to look a bit worn out, and I think she's right. I might have to invest in more. I enjoyed hanging my striped crochet stockings on the peg rail though, and gave the round shelf in the dining room a little wintry change of display.

Our Christmas activity advent calendar has given us a steady stream of festive things to do: make paper chains, make and write Christmas cards, bake mince pies, dry orange slices for garlands, stamp our wrapping paper. I'm thankful for this actually, because rather than send me into a spin of things to do, they are small, easily achieved tasks that ground me in this season, which is just what I need at the moment. 

We have just five more days at work and school before we break up for the holidays. It's going to be an exceptionally busy week as we'll be celebrating Bella's birthday along with all the usual end of term busyness, plus my usual panic over handmade gifts and whether or not they will be ready in time. But I think we're going to be okay; most of the shopping is done, cards have been posted, gifts for teachers, colleagues etc sorted. There's just the small matter of a washing machine, boiler and roof to be sorted and we're all good. 










14 comments:

  1. Troubles do seem to come in 3's. My washing machine has been acting up lately and I figure its days are numbered.
    Hope you get everything sorted before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for your mum! I love your round shelf and the bottle brush Christmas trees. The little trees are a great project for using all the little ends that get snipped of when you're sewing them in. I discovered them this year so I now plan to make lots for prizes at the school Christmas fair next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you. I haven't read just looked at the pictures and my Christmas cheer has gone up already . Angus's writing on his dads pressie !!! Angus with a tree !!! and , best of all, the back of Angus's head as he writes cards with a badger next to him !!!!

    Thanks for your lovely blog, it always is a feast for the eyes and the soul x

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Gillian. What a hard week you had. It sounds like everything will soon be okay, though. You don't need to worry anymore. We had a similar thing happen with our roof, also flashing-related, about two years after we'd had the whole thing replaced, and it was very upsetting at the time, but it worked out in the end. I love that photo of Angus at the top, he has such a cute expression. Your orange garland is beautiful. I hope you have a good week. We finish on Thursday and it can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a week.You seemed to have coped really well.My youngest grandson is called Angus.A lovely name.Super photos.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gillian, so sorry to hear of your three things. I hope they're all sorted soon for you. It's no fun at all when things go wrong. Well done on being festive all the same. I love your orange slices, nicely done. Good luck for next week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh cripes! Hope all is sorted out this week for you. We made identical mince pies today and 4 jam ones for Meg! funny... Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mum is a superstar, please send her my way for a week holiday in bonny Scotland. I hope all gets sorted tomorrow and Tuesday and come Friday all will be good. Funny how we call our blokes when things go wrong eh? I do it all the time and then chide myself because I am perfectly capable of sorting things out myself. Alas, shared worry is less worry. Angus present wrapping is sweet and I do love your box of eclectic tree decorations. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah for your Mum; she sounds wonderful. Sorry to hear you've had a right old proper week of it – hope everything gets fixed when it should and that you're able to put your feet up on Friday evening and heave a big sigh of relieve. Love all these photos, especially the one of Angus's present to his dad. A-dor-a-ble. Gorgeous decorations and I hope you ate a load of those lovely looking mince pies. Hold tight, my friend. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a superstar of a mum And your photography is simply stunning. You have such a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always a nuisance when things go wrong and a good cry is a great stress reliever. And thank goodness for your mum! Despite all those problems you've still managed to be so busy! How do you do it? Your photos are as stunning as always :) Hope everything is fixed and your new washer arrives soon. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh no! doesnt that just always happen in 3's...hope all gets sorted soon. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family thankyou for filling my year with wonderful, inspirational blog posts, always a pleasure to visit you here...(@ kazzyloves on instagram...xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job it's only some technical things that can be fixed or replaced, and how wonderful of your Mum to temporarily do the washing for you - mine would do the same, that's our wonderful, wonderful parents for us!
    I remember the little model cabin lift from previous years, this year you've used the cabins on the circular shelf.
    This last week before Christmas will just swoosh by in a whirl of activities, same here, plus all the back and forth on the train for me between my place and OK's. I just hope there won't be too many delays or cancellations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.