Monday 24 December 2018

Merry Christmas!


It's a hive of activity here today. I've been to collect the turkey and ham, prepared the tiramisu for Boxing Day, decorated the Christmas cake, made canapes for the big day tomorrow. The turkey is roasting and the ham is boiling, ready to be glazed and put in the oven to brown off. I think all that sounds like a lot more effort than it really is because I've had a lovely morning pottering in the kitchen, drinking coffee, Christmas songs playing on the radio in the background.


The Christmas holidays started well with a fixed boiler and a fantastic Christmas night out with my work colleagues on Friday night. So much dancing and laughing, what a fun bunch they are. The weekend was a nice balance of jobs and fun; I blitzed the house and caught up on the washing, but we also went to the panto at the King's Theatre in Southsea, had fish and chips for dinner, went for a long, muddy walk in the woods and watched our favourite festive film, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. 


There has also been time for a little festive crafting. Bella wanted to make crackers this year for when we host Boxing Day lunch, so we had fun yesterday morning doing that. They're a bit messy and very definitely homemade but we stuffed as many chocolates as we could fit inside each one so I think they will be well received. 

I also made an advent candle, based on a tutorial I saw recently on Jen's blog Mum in the Madhouse. I've always coveted the beautiful Ferm Living advent candle but could never justify the price, and this was so easy to make. 


I did my usual Christmas mantel faffing this year, using off cuts from the tree and some wooden trees I got from Sainsburys a year ago to create a sort-of woodland feel. I like it. The tree cuttings are holding up remarkably well. We chose a Nordmann Fir this year and it has hardly faded or dropped needles at all, I'm so impressed with it. 


I need to walk the dog and do a few other chores before I can relax. We are going over to my sister's for mulled wine and mince pies later which will be lovely, but I don't really switch off until John gets in from work, usually around seven, and we can have a few drinks and watch something together on TV. The children will hang their stockings (Angus still believes!) and the elves will deliver Christmas Eve pyjamas, as is traditional. I hope they never outgrow this kind of stuff, I love it. We're at my parents' house for lunch tomorrow, then hosting ten on Boxing Day. We're doing turkey, ham and leek pie. Then comes my favourite part, that delicious few days between Christmas and New Year when you can stop and relax a little, read a book, do a jigsaw, a little crochet. 

Wishing you all a wonderful, happy and peaceful Christmas. Thank you for always being here and reading and saying hello. Merry Christmas!



26 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog throughout the year, but don't usually comment - thought I should stop lurking and wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Gillian, I wish you a merry Christmas from Czech republic. Our main Christmas day is today, Christmas Eve. We celebrate this evening here in Czech republic. We have Christmas dinner about 6 o'clock and then Baby Jesus will bring us our presents. So merry Christmas to all of your reader, whenever they are from! Hana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for mistake - readers. Hana

      Delete
  3. Your posts here and Instagram have cheered and motivated me through some grim times this year. Thank you and Happy Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitchen pottering here this morning as well with an excellent writing podcast for company, inspirational. The dog is walked and everything is loosely under control. I hope you have a wonderful few days. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas and all the best for 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish Merry Christmas for YOU and whole family,greetings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't normally comment, but thought it was time to actually thank you and wish you and your family Merry Christmas. Sara xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too read your blog but don't comment. So time to wish you and your family a Happy Christmas and thanks for the interesting reads. Lovely pic of your children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and your family xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything done here now too - I have enjoyed the run up to Christmas this year - sometimes relaxed, sometimes a bit mad but I've loved it all and especially reading everyone elses Christmas posts. Your crafts are wonderful.
    Have a Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Merry Christmas to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is definitely one of my favourites, as you are always so inspiringly creative and embracing the seasons.
    How do you make your own Christmas crackers? What makes them "crack"? Of course I love them with the foxes on the wrapping paper, and of course I love your Dalarna horses on the mantle and the tree! I have a small felt Dalarna horse, sent to me from a blogging friend from Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meike! I made mine from the inner tubes of toilet paper and gift wrap, although you can buy kits. The "crack" comes from a packet of cracker snaps, £1 for ten at a craft shop. I'm not entirely sure what they are made of or how they're made - it's two thin strips of cardboard joined with something in the middle which cracks when pulled!

      Delete
  13. What a lovely post! Glad to hear all the bad stuff is sorted. Happy Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. May the magic of Christmas fill your heart with warmth and love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Xmas Gillian ,have a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your blog it was a lovely bit of peace in the Christmas mayhem! Happy Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Christmas to you all Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated Merry Christmas to you & your family & hope the day went well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a lurker too - who wants to wish you a happy Christmas and say thank you for your inspirational blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your blog! I am so happy to see when you have a new post. You are such an inspiration!

    I did have to look up what “ blitz” means. As in “ blitz the house” I think I understand it to mean you attacked the house with cleaning?! I love your fun expressions.
    Hope you had a lovely Christmas!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, sorry - I don't really know where that expression comes from. It's a slightly frantic speed cleaning session, so yes, the word "attacked" would be appropriate! x

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.