Friday 19 October 2018

Room Tour: The Living Room


I am so happy to be able to call the living room finished (for now!) and to show you some photos of how it all looks. It's come together really nicely and we love it. 

The main change we made was to change the flooring from a dark brown, high gloss laminate to something lighter and warmer. Engineered oak was sadly out of our budget but we are really happy with the laminate we chose. It is well made and textured underfoot and looks almost identical to the oak we have in the kitchen and, most importantly, very forgiving of dog hair. It's much easier to clean and bounces so much more light around the room without creating the horrible glare caused by the shiny surface of the old flooring.


We also painted the light grey walls white and swapped a few pieces of furniture around to different areas. Where the sideboard and gallery wall used to be, we now have bookcases in that corner. 


And where the bookcases used to be, the sideboard now sits. I had thought about hanging the same pictures back above it but decided to move them elsewhere and will keep that wall empty - it's plenty busy enough with all those candlesticks and plants.


Small chairs sit either side of the window next to an old trunk which holds games and jigsaws. It's a kind of reading corner, and the light is good there.


The mantel is as it was before, although it looks so much better for being freshly painted as the paint work was quite scuffed from the log basket.


Aside from the flooring, the only new things we bought were a chair and a lampshade, both to replace items which had really worn out.


The chair is this one and is so comfortable and springy. In the shop I took off my shoes and sat in it cross legged, and then with my legs tucked under me to one side, to check it was wide enough for my favourite ways to sit white crocheting and watching tv. It's perfect.  


We took advantage of the high ceiling in that part of the room and hung a new gallery wall above the chair and over the wall. 


I don't think the colour palate is that different; it's the wood tones and white and grey I love so much, with pops of colour through the books, pictures and accessories. It's funny, we didn't really intend to decorate this room, it was more a side effect of ripping out the old porch wall and changing the floor in the hall, but I am so glad we did. I'm really proud that we did so much of it ourselves too, with a lot of help from family. There's just the hall to finish now then I think I should invite everyone round for a party to say thank you. 





34 comments:

  1. Stylish, non-fussy, very,very clean! Just my cuppa. Thank you for sharing. Tomorrow, I'm hiring a skip and chucking everything surplus to requirements (well, not really but I'd love to!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Looking at your photos is just like looking through one of those glossy 'Home' magazines. It's so stylish. We are going to do a bit of a redecorate in the dining room now John's trike has moved out and has it's own shed at last! Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very stylish but personal and very calm and light. I finally managed to track down the magazine you are featured in today-happy me! I’ll read the article later and enjoy it in peace and quiet. Happy mid term- ours go back on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely room, it's 1970s with a 21st century twist. Really lovely.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi its a great room! Can I ask what the mustard coloured stems are in the vase. I'm intrigued? Thanks
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they're called Billy Buttons or Craspedia, they're dried. I bought mine from a shop called Winter's Moon.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gillian! They are lovely!

      Delete
  7. It looks wonderful, love the picture wall and that chair looks so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely room. I love everything about it!

    I also love your fall decorations, they are just so sweet.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks terrific. You're very good at this stuff! I'm always in awe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and you certainly have a flair for decorating. Thanks for the update, take care & have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! I now want to completely redecorate my sitting room! Not sure the other half will let me though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so cosy and personal and welcoming - what a lovely room to relax in. I think the reading corner looks particularly inviting. I also liked your description of trying out the chair; we bought a new mattress not long ago from JL and all of us ended up trying them out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new look room, clean, modern, bright but still very much a room for living. And you have even more books than me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully done Gillian, what a lovely room to relax in. Well done all! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks really great, cosy and welcoming in a soft and natural way. Can I ask how you hang your pictures? Do you use command strips, I am fed up with forever straightening my 'picture wall'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No just the old fashioned hammer and nails, or picture hook. I measure carefully first but must confess there may be a few misplaced holes hiding behind those pictures.....

      Delete
  17. I love your cosy corner. Great work by everyone it sounds. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a lovely cozy room!I love the armchair!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely and fresh and looks comfy especially the new chair and all those lovely books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous sitting room... hope you get to spend much of your half term relaxing here!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks gorgeous and a very relaxing space to spend time in. Is the illustration/drawing (you and your husband?) something you commissioned? I'd love to have something similar done of me and my hubby as a Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, I ordered it for our tenth wedding anniversary five years ago, it's by ISA Form. You can personalise the figures. :-)

      https://shop.isa.nu/en/prints/karlek/iris-oc

      Delete
    2. https://shop.isa.nu/en/prints/karlek/iris-och-frank

      Delete
  24. It all looks so nice and cozy. I love the white walls and the lighter floor color. The gallery wall is my very favorite! Would you fly over to the US and help me put together one of those in my house? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your house looks so lovely, sorry you're always the bridesmaid! If you didn't win I shall have to google around to see who did. I have used some of your inexpensive ideas to brighten up our house in France (we retired here 10 years ago).The outside could do with a coat of paint but what with Brexit, pensions etc. and paint is v. expensive here....still could be worse.
    Best wishes,
    Linda in Beziers.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.