Monday 15 October 2018

Autumn Feels


The weather has been cheerfully, unrelentingly, mild and sunny so far these last few weeks. I'm not complaining - it certainly saves on the heating bill - but I've had to work pretty hard to create any kind of autumn feeling at home, and it is mid-October. I have jumpers and scarves that would like to see the light of day before Christmas, and we haven't even lit the fire yet, so imagine my genuine delight when Sunday was cold and wet and we had to put our wellies on to go for a walk in the woods. Autumn, this is what I'm talking about!


At home I am celebrating the changing seasons in my usual way; faffing around with displays on mantels and shelves, hunting in the back of cupboards for handmade pumpkins and garlands, getting outside as much as possible. working on crochet projects like the sweater pictured above, and cooking. So much cooking.


The children and I made gingerbread. I had great fun cutting the dough into leaf shapes while Bella and Angus had just as much fun decorating gingerbread figures with some out of date icing pens they found in the back of the cupboard. 


I made the baked oatmeal with pears from Smitten Kitchen Every Day and enjoyed eating that for breakfast ever day last week, and last Saturday's waffles were elevated to a new level of deliciousness with the addition of cinnamon to the batter and stewed apples served on top. I love fresh fruit on my pancakes or waffles and usually buy soft fruits or berries, but as we move away from the summer fruit season I try not to buy the overpriced, imported, often tasteless berries and instead aim for locally grown apples, pears and plums instead. John picked up a recipe card for this apple, ginger and honey cake and I made it yesterday. We ate it warm with custard for dessert.


I have optimistically filled the log basket next to the wood burning stove and both John and I have invested in new welly boots. I have yet to buy any pumpkins, but I know it's only a matter of time before some pretty artisan squash fall into my shopping trolley to decorate the table over the coming weeks, before I remember that it would be quite good to cook with them too. 

Dog walks continue to be a necessary and welcome part of my day. I have started to walk Ziggy alone when I get in from work, leaving the children at home for a short time. It works out so much better this way; they are tired after a day at school (and Bella has already walked a couple of miles to and from her secondary school) and they just want to eat a snack and watch a bit of TV, not be dragged out for a walk, and I would rather walk alone with my thoughts or a podcast for company than listen to them moan. After a day surrounded by people, where I talk and am talked at almost non-stop, half an hour with my thoughts is bliss. 

I'll leave you with a photo from our walk yesterday, between the heavy rain showers. My little gang.


18 comments:

  1. Like the pumpkins. I too am making that sweater, but in lavender colour. I am well down the body now but am thinking of making a proper welt ( knitted) Also maybe adapting the sleeves so they aren't too baggy. There are some different examples on the Ravelry page ,if you haven't already seen them. Lovely picture of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree about the walk after work. When I worked and was busy all day with people and phones I really enjoyed my half hour or so walking our dog-to the extent I dreaded meeting fellow dog walkers who wanted to chat! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started to do the dog walk with Just Meg while we wait for big sister to come home on the later bus and with just one little person to talk to it is lovely. You always seem to nail the seasonal palette Gillian - much respect! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what a lovely little gang it is!

    I also prefer my dog walks without little people. Unfortunately I get home just in time to cook dinner, not enough time for a walk to air the tired brain. You have captured autumn in your usual lovely way Gillian. I don't even try anymore, just come here and have a look at your mantel and autumnal decorations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little alone time is a very good thing isn't it. All beautifully autumnal chez vous, I do so love your pumpkins. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got home from work ( called in to cover a shift ) and I so enjoyed reading your post with a cuppa. Your photos are wonderful, like those in glossy magazines. I love the round knick-knack shelf and the Orla Kiely lampshade and the beautifully decorated shelf. Looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're getting to enjoy so much fall goodness. You would like the weather here today - cold and damp. We seem to have skipped from summer directly to winter, but I'm not complaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Autumn decorations so much nicer than the plastic shop ones - I am so fed up of the Halloween bright orange and black everywhere! The gingerbread leaves look fun I might try some gingerbread with my granddaughter at half term.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Autumn leaf garland and the cake is making me hungry just looking at it. What a lovely family photo with Ziggy in there as well. I also love walking our dog on my own once I drop the kids at school of a morning. It's my time to recharge and re-set myself each day. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you first showed us your knitted (crocheted?) pumpkins and the garland of felt leaves, I remember how much I liked them. If I had a mantle, I'd definitely want to have just such a garland, too!
    Same here about the weather; it got to 27 C on the weekend and was still around 25 C yesterday afternoon on my way to hospital (my Dad is very ill). OK and I had icecreams in town on Saturday, it felt a lot more like August than October. Out of town, though, you can tell it is autumn; the vineyards, orchards, fields and woodland are so beautiful with their colours.
    Good idea to walk on your own. I have the talking going on most of the time at work, too, and am glad to retreat to my quiet flat in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful autumn pictures and the cake looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet picture of your 'little gang' :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely taste of Autumn :-) Always love your seasonal posts. Aldi have some beautiful little squashes in their special 5 this week, at a ridiculously low price, so pretty. Marion

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the leaf (leif lol ) motifs. Our 'season' finally turned here the other night. It is fireplace weather finally.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We had our first fire on Sunday as it turned quite chilly, and it was lovely. We also had an apple cake! Your dog walks sound perfect: I always need a bit of peace and quiet when I get in from work too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully autumnal... and so happy to have worn boots and a proper cosy cardy today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog! Hugs and kisses from Turkei ..

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.