Thursday 2 August 2018

Sky Watching


We've spent a lovely few days in Durham this week, visiting family and taking the opportunity to explore some of the surrounding area. I will admit I was looking forward to the slightly cooler temperatures up north, but was totally unprepared for the drop to around 12°C when we got out of the car at the service station at Wetherby. We were all shivering and looking for coats, stepping over puddles, it was comical. Once the rain stopped it warmed up a little and for the rest of our time away we were treated to a mixture of sun and cloud, and some spectacular clouds at that.


This was Ziggy's first long journey and he coped much better than expected. Never the happiest traveller, he settled down once we were on the motorway and slept a lot of the way there. We took him out and about with us as much as possible which was lovely, and he seemed to enjoy Warkworth Castle, sniffing a lot but thankfully not peeing up against any historical monuments.


Warkworth beach was wild and huge, and not overly warm either. I love the beaches of the Northumberland coast, they're so vast with their miles of sand and wide open skies, quite different to the crowded, shingle beaches down here. 



Angus, John and Ziggy played football, Bella hunted for pebbles to paint, I took photos. Everyone was happy.


Inland, the wild flowers were in full bloom and I was struck by the soft purple and gold tones everywhere from the heather and grasses. Ziggy was spoilt for walks while we were away with the moorland and beaches, and the cooler temperatures meant we could walk for much further and longer than we have been in the heat. 


 We couldn't visit Durham without a trip to Seaham beach to hunt for sea glass. 


John and the kids always roll their eyes and make out like I'm dragging them all there (it's a twenty minute drive!) but, once we're there, they all have as much fun as me. 


Bella got really into it and collected a bag full, and John found some gems. Angus explored the caves and searched for interesting pebbles and stones to add to his Interesting Things box.


 And Ziggy was happy just to wander between each of us, occasionally having a paddle in the surf or going to say hello to another dog, but I think it's safe to say he had as much fun as I did.


 I find searching for sea glass very soothing. You can just lose yourself in what you're doing and let your mind wander. 


I sat myself down on the sand and looked out to sea, then ran my hands through the sand around me, and unearthed so many treasures. I could have sat there all day. And these were the afternoon's treasures: mostly green and white with a few bright jewel colours and a couple of gorgeous, large pebble-like pieces. They've been added to Bella's collection.


So a brief trip but a nice one, and we enjoyed the time together. Today has been busy as we did errands and jobs like laundry, ironing, washing the car, and getting ready for a break in Devon next week. I'm out all day tomorrow at my friend and colleague's wedding so I won't get anything done then. Everything happens at once and this summer holiday is filling up rapidly.

I took lots of crafting projects to Durham with me of course (I needed something to do on that long journey) and I have made a start on an EPP hexagon patchwork quilt (much, much more on that another day) and crocheted a bag which I will show you soon, but the main thing I was working on was this gift for my friend, the bride.


It features flowers from her bouquet (cream roses, green hypericum berries, white bouvardia and baby's breath/gypsophila) and around the bouquet, I have embroidered their names and the date of the wedding. 


I've backed it with cream wool felt and tied a velvet ribbon to the top of the hoop so it can be hung.


It's not my usual style of embroidery but I went with it and just embraced the bridal frothiness of it all. I'll show you a finished photo of it soon. I hope she likes it.


24 comments:

  1. What a lovely, thoughtful present for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your embroidery is beautiful! My wedding bouquet was ivory and pale pink roses with lots of greenery. The colors in your embroidery remind me of my bouquet. It sounds like you had a very nice time on the beach. I love seeing your family enjoying themselves, and Ziggy too. He's getting big! I hope the rest of the trip was good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer he's huge! Much bigger than we thought he'd be, people always think he's a greyhound. :-) I really hope he's stopped growing now.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post! That beach looks like my kind of beach ~(cool and breezy). The embroidery is absolutely beautiful! And I love your shoes, can you tell where you got them?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes of course. They're Tom's from John Lewis.

      Delete
  4. Oh, sea glass! What treasure you've found there. There's so much beauty in those skies, wide and blue. It's cloudy outside my window today so your blue skies made me smile. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone looks like they had a wonderful time, especially Ziggy. We're planning on going on holidays soon and taking our beloved pooch but I'm not sure how we'll go. Fingers crossed! Your embroidery is really lovely. I know the bride will cherish something handmade and beautiful done just for her. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, the embroidery is beautiful. Lovely summertime photographs, far more typical of an English summer - clouds and coats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wedding gift is wonderful, but I still worry about you needle-working in a moving vehicle!
    Ziggy looks very comfortable with all of you now, as if he was never anywhere else as with your family. Every time I see a dog running (on a beach or elsewhere) I think how great it must be to be running on four legs!
    A big difference in temperature indeed! 12 Celsius - I don't know when we last had that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely gift you have made. I enjoyed your trip to the coast. I'm fascinated with the sea glass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sky pictures are wonderful, I love watching the clouds! I see from a previous post that you’re coming down to Brixham, we live in Torquay just across the bay, there’s so many things to do down here with a family and the weather is looking good for next week. Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would adore that for my wedding present! its stunning! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing better than a day at the beach with the people you love most in the world.

    Your embroidery is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's how I like my beaches, practically empty and it's lovely to see Ziggy having a blast. Your embroidery is stunning, I would be so happy if someone made that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your trip sounds wonderful, thank you for posting the beautiful photos so we could enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That embroidery is stunning. We are heading to the east coast tomorrow and are hoping for sea breezes - it is so hot in land locked Shropshire. Happy days! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a perfect family holiday, and Ziggy looks as if he had the best time. Your wedding embroidery is fantastic - I'm sure it will be treasured. Have a lovely time in Devon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic gift, love the embroidery. I must get myself up North to hunt for seaglass.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness, your embroidery is exquisite, what an incredibly beautiful, thoughtful gift, I imagine she will treasure it always. Sounds like you had a wonderful time away, and well done Ziggy for good behaviour! He really is such a handsome dog. Hope you have a good time at the wedding and a lovely break in Devon. It's all go! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely post Gillian with some great snapshots. All five of you, seemed to be enjoying & having a wonderful time. That embroidery is beautiful. Have a good weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really lovely embroidery!
    And I also enjoyed your pictures - especially those of the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it when you come to durham- your pictures remind me of why I love living here (through someone else's eyes, I guess?). We've had some wonderful days at Seaham beachalready this holidays and tomorrow I am taking my mum (also from kent) up to Bamburgh. We may stop at Warkworth on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely gift for your friend, that is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photographs shared. The embroidery is beautiful, what an amazing personal gift I'm sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.