Saturday 28 July 2018

Making the Seasons: July


Welcome to July's Making the Seasons post, the summer fruits edition. As always with these posts, my intention is to make time for some kind of seasonal and creative activity, be that sewing, dyeing, crochet, gardening or in this case cooking. I'm doing this with my friend Lucy of Attic24 and our hope was that you might feel inspired to do something similar too. The heat has meant that I've felt no inclination to bake over the last few weeks, but I have still enjoyed pottering in the kitchen, always one of my favourite places to retreat to when life gets busy.



In our garden we have one redcurrant and two blackcurrant bushes. I know nothing about growing fruit but I do realise how totally low maintenance these plants are, to the point where I forget all about them and am surprised when I see their stalks hanging with fruit. The blackcurrants are a joy but I do have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the redcurrants. I always feel that I should appreciate and enjoy them more, do something with them other than pick them and put them in the freezer, because they're not my favourite fruit. It's not the tartness, but the texture and the seeds that get stuck in your teeth. With any other fruit that I had stashed in the freezer, I would quickly use it up by throwing it in with apples into a crumble, but I never want to do that with redcurrants. So this year I decided to really go to town with my soft fruit harvest and enjoy every currant that grew on those bushes.



The first thing I did to use up last year's frozen harvest was make a few jars of redcurrant jelly using this recipe, which I would really recommend. And Delia's right, homemade redcurrant jelly is a world away from shop bought jars. Some I turned into a sweet chilli dipping sauce, the rest will get used up later, probably at Christmas. I also made the happy discovery that warmed redcurrant jelly is pretty amazing poured over vanilla ice cream, with the combination of creamy, sweet and tart flavours.


The fresh currants were used in Summer Pudding, a very traditional English seasonal dessert which I'd never made before, probably because I was put off by the redcurrants. You line a bowl with white bread, crust removed, then fill the bowl with stewed redcurrants, strawberries and raspberries, before placing a bread "lid" on top then covering the bowl with a weighted plate and refrigerating overnight. All the juice soaks into the bread so by the time you turn out the dessert and eat, you can slice it and the bread is soft and delicious. 


I wasn't sure how much of this we wanted to eat though, so made four individual ones, which were much bigger and more filling than they looked.


Served with whipped cream they were summer on a plate, although as predicted the children found the redcurrants too "bitty".


Next, blackcurrants, and what to do with the kilo of fruit I picked from my two bushes. I love these berries (providing they are sweetened!) and could have made everything; gin, crumbles, fools, cordial, jelly, sorbet...the possibilities are endless. Eventually I decided upon jam, compote and ice cream.

I've never made blackcurrant jam before and so I followed a recipe rather than just making it up using half fruit/half sugar as I usually do. This recipe suggested simmering the fruit before adding the sugar to soften the currant skins, which I thought was a good idea, and it worked. I love making jam. I love the way the fruit changes throughout the cooking process, the way the liquid becomes glassy when the sugar is added, then thick and sticky at the end, and I find it one of the most mindful and absorbing types of cooking. 



Doubling the recipe gave me three and a half jars of jam, and the half jar went straight into the fridge where I ate some on top of toasted sourdough for breakfast the next day.

Compote (you know I love a fruit compote) is the best way to use up a small amount of fruit, especially the kind which benefits from a little sugar, and I eat it over yogurt, porridge, overnight oats or pancakes. No recipe needed, just throw in a pan over a low heat, add sugar to taste and cook for a while.


And finally - I saved the best for last here - blackcurrant and liquorice ice cream. I've wanted to make this for a while but never got around to it but now I know how easy it is, I will be making this every summer, forever.


The recipe, from the book Simply Nigella, is a no-churn ice cream so very easy, it's just a question of mixing ingredients and putting it in the freezer. I can't see the recipe online but this one is very similar, just without the addition of liquorice.


I bought my liquorice syrup from here and found that, for me, the ice cream needed a little more on serving, but I really do love liquorice.



I feel like I've really made the most of the seasonal fruit this year, and now that the soft fruits are coming to an end I'm thinking about the blackberries I'm seeing in the hedgerows (bramble jelly! crumble and custard!) and the apples and pears ripening on the trees. Before we know it it'll be time for pumpkins and squashes and my favourite time of year. Summer is whizzing by and I want to make the most of every delicious moment.

Please do pop over to Lucy's blog and read her July Making the Seasons post which is just full of summery goodness. 

12 comments:

  1. Everything you made looks delicious and has such a beautiful appearance too. I have never eaten a fresh currant, only dried, and even then just a few, so I would love to try all of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering..........you have inspired me to make some compote to have with Greek yoghurt which we usually eat quite simply with a drizzle of honey. I can't wait to taste it! xxxx ps can you believe this is our ninth month already? Waaah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ice-cream sounds and looks amazing. I used to have an insane amount of blackcurrants when I had the allotment, but it's much more manageable now. Soft fruit can come in quite a glut can't it. As can beans and courgettes... But it's wonderful while it lasts, and lovely to put things by to enjoy in the winter months. We've been having cherry compote here, made with morello cherries, and it's utterly divine. I can highly recommend squeezing a cherry tree in if you've got room. Morellos are one of the few fruits that don't mind a north-facing spot as well, I have mine in the shade and it's happy as Larry. Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend Gillian. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make blackcurrant or you can use bilberries in a sweet pastry flan with meringue on top. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious. I've never tried meringue like that, thank you for the tip.

      Delete
  5. So inspiring as ever Gill, thank you. A tip I picked up from my mother in law, for the pip hating members of the family, is to cook blackberries, redcurrants etc separately, put through a sieve and then freeze the juice until needed.Then whenever I have apples etc, I cook them in the juice, that way you get the lovely flavour and colouring but not the dreaded pips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum, it all looks good and I love berries of any sort. Well done. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made it in the end. I remember you talking about it last year! My girls love redcurrants just to eat so we are lucky. Sometimes I cook them and then strain them to make a syrup for icecream to avoid the bits. But I have to say ours are a bigger variety that those in your picture. The fruit bushes are the only thing that really keep me having an allotment. What with building a house, I really need to get rid of it but the fruit pulls me back every year. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandma used to make summer pudding, and while there are many lovely memories from holidays spent with them, I never did like summer pudding. Maybe I should try again? But ice cream- oh my! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! very productive and it all looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Gillian, I hope all is well. I am gradually returning to the world of blogging, having missed it very much! Blackcurrant ice-cream looks delicious (though admittedly I think I would prefer mine without the liquorice!). I hope you are well, and having a lovely summer. x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.