Monday 16 July 2018

Heatwave


I don't think we've had any real rain in our corner of England since the end of May. We've had the occasional light drizzle, the kind that evaporates in the heat before it even soaks in to the ground, but no heavy showers. I dreamt the other night that we'd had a downpour and was convinced that I'd turned over in bed to the sound of rain through the open windows, but sadly not. 


I'm watering the plants alternate nights and using the sprinkler as sparingly as I can, maybe twice a week for half an hour at a time, but the grass is more yellow than green now. Every time I run the cold tap for a glass of water I take the washing up bowl out into the garden and throw whatever's in there over the nearest pot, which happens to be the sweet peas, and they are doing nicely.


I'm picking them as fast as they grow and enjoying their sweet fragrance around the house.


My tea consumption has rapidly dropped and been replaced by iced coffee. I still have a cup of tea first thing in the morning, but mid morning and after school I just want something cold. One shot of espresso poured over ice and topped up with milk is my favourite thing.


I extended the theme with coffee and maple ice lollies, from The Modern Cook’s Year. Made up of equal quantities full fat milk and natural yogurt with espresso and maple syrup, you just blend it all together and pour into moulds. They are definitely not for the children, but ideal when I am feeling in need of both being picked up and cooled down at the same time but can't really justify an espresso martini.


I am overrun with redcurrants and blackcurrants at the moment, and very happily so. I forgot to weigh the redcurrants but had enough to make a batch of jelly (this recipe) which I then turned into a sweet chilli dipping sauce, and we ate that with Thai fish cakes and a cucumber salad with a bottle of cold beer, on our laps while watching England play Sweden last week.


I picked a kilo of blackcurrants though, and have half as much again in the freezer from last year. I am thinking ice cream and jam, but all these currants deserve a post of their own. I am obsessed with the soft fruit season and, while I haven't baked for weeks (too hot), I have been cooking and eating so much fruit. Some disappointing plums, a bruised nectarine and some too-soft strawberries were all stewed with a little sugar into a compote and I've been eating it with Greek yogurt for breakfast.


Our weekend dog walks have been shorter and later, and successfully combined with early evening drinks in pub beer gardens. Ziggy does pester for a crisp though.


The last two Sunday afternoons were spent at the beach, with dips in the sea both times, and it's becoming a routine that I enjoy, the upside to this heat. We finish school this Friday and I'm at a point where I am tired, quite grumpy and very busy, with a messy house, full washing basket and overdue phone calls and emails. I'm at once fed up with the heat but not ready to say goodbye to it yet, because it's about to be the school holidays, and no-one wants cool, grey, wet weather for the six weeks that the children are home, do they? I don't. 

Thank you so much for your comments on my suitcase craft room. I haven't had a response to a post like that in ages, and it was lovely. Thank you. 

19 comments:

  1. Your heatwave just doesn't mesh with my mental picture of England. Granted, I haven't been there, but it's so different, and I guess very unusual for you. I was reading about trees struggling with this heat and dryness. I hope it will improve for you soon. It seems like you're making the most of it and I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are managing to enjoy the hot weather quite well and trying out some lovely cooling treats. The plum, nectarine and strawberry combination sounds very nice - I might try that as I love fruit compote with yoghurt.
    Many of my Sweet Peas must have flowered whilst we were on holiday as now I just have pea pods!
    I do like your bedding combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely an espresso martini is always justifiable... I have some tired apricots and strawberries in the fridge awaiting that fate too. Also rather obsessed with soft fruit at the moment. There are pounds of cherries up in the tree at the bottom of the garden, but they are high in the sky. I am weighing up the risk to life and limb against the satisfaction of getting them. The littlest boy is desperate to shin up and pick them. They are teasing me up there. I am thinking of joining in the cookery book challenge, I always enjoy those posts of yours and I certainly have enough cookery books to do it. I agree about the warm weather, don't want it to disappear just yet, although a good downpour or two would be very welcome. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recent hot weather has been glorious, even if a little unexpected here in the North.
    We have, at least, enjoyed some rain today which has given the gardens a good watering. I just hope it doesn't stay with us for the next six weeks. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gillian. Keep picking those sweet peas and more will come, as soon as pods arrive you are doomed, all the plants energy goes to those instead of the flowers. Huge quantities of red currants here too. I made camembert filo parcels with and made a redcurrant dipping sauce. In landlocked Shropshire we have to make do with the paddling pool to cool off and my allotment has seen some casualties. My kids break up on Friday too, Heidi's last day at Primary School - same for Angus?. I have had a mad de-clutter today of the playroom and their bedrooms before they notice what has gone!!!! Stay cool. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hot and dry on this side of the pond, too. I enjoyed learning how you are spending your days pre-school break, and I hope that your six weeks off will be delightful! I just checked your very clever miniature project and loved the overall room, but especially your little pictures and yarn and needles. We are still in the midst of preparing the house for sale...almost ready for the realtor photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do hope that this heat continues into the summer holidays... all those gentle days at the beach. And we are camping this year, so how glorious that would be. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This summer will probably go down in the collective memory of many across the UK who have enjoyed (or struggled with - sometimes both at the same time) this uncharacteristical warm, dry weather. I remember several years ago during one of my annual Yorkshire holidays, while staying at my sister-in-law's, I experienced the (for me, so far) hottest day in Ripon: 29 Celsius, and not a cloud in sight! It was a lovely week there, with no cardigan needed and no brollie.
    In this set of photos, I particularly like the one of Angus in the colourful striped t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot and dry in Scotland, too! Having said that, we had a day of rain on Sunday and it is overcast today. We went to the strawberry picking farm yesterday only to find out that the dry hot weather has ruined the crop. Such a shame for the farming folk. On a personal note, I rather enjoy the warm weather, it reminds me of childhood summers in Switzerland. I'd be reluctant to call it hot but my thermostat is somewhat different to that of British people more used to temperate weather (Switzerland has continental climate with temperature in the thirties in summer). Love the idea of caffeinated ice lollies! I bet they were good. I need to check out your suitcase project, I missed this post as we were on holiday xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I notice that you are making summer puddings, this is THE answer to a glut of soft fruit. My shortcut is to not bother with making them a pudding shape in a pudding bowl, I saw a recipe on a newspaper website (Guardian I think) called Summer Pudding Slices where you cook the fruit as your normal recipe and make the pudding between slices of bread, sandwich style. You wrap them in clingfilm, put them in a dish and weigh them down lightly to make it all stick together and leave for a few hours. Keep some of the fruit stewing juice back in case you need to paint it on any white bits of bread. Dead easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found the recipe, it was in The Times https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/summer-pudding-sandwiches-psfs5zhx3qz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photographs. The weather continues to be glorious here in the shire but with no sign of any rain. It did cloud over last night just as we had finished watering the garden but still there were no drops coming from the sky and remains hot and humid again today.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  13. It all sounds delicious! I'm definitely hoping that the hot weather carries on into the school holidays - fingers crossed! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photo’s again. I like your blog so much !
    Have a great week, Manon

    ReplyDelete
  15. It’s been very hot where I live, too. It sounds very unusual for England to have this type of weather. Hope you are staying cool! I love your floral pillowcase. I can’t believe how tall Bella is getting. She’s such a pretty girl and she looks a lot like her mother! Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet peas are my most favourite flower in the entire world! What a pretty bunch! I hope you get some rain soon for your garden. Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes we have a yellow lawn too! the woods are looking droopy even and I have never seen them like that in the 25 years we have been here. The lake is shrinking and the birds are desperate for water which I leave out in the garden in a flat dish. It is lovely to have tropical weather but I am worried about what it is doing to our landscape and how crops will be affected later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No one ever remembers 2003. So so hot, more so even than 1976.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.