Monday 11 September 2017

My idea of a good Saturday afternoon



I moved lots of furniture around over the weekend. This made me very happy. I shifted one sideboard from the spare room to the kitchen, another from the kitchen to the living room, and my mum took a chest of drawers I've never been mad about off my hands which saved me the hassle (guilt) of selling it. I sorted and folded, went through old toys and games, made a pile for the charity shop, faffed around arranging candles, moved pictures to new walls. There is now the small matter of where to put the hundreds of CDs we own, but there's a Billy bookcase in the garage that John says he's going to put up in the spare room...

But I just love moving things around and having a change. I find it really refreshing, the way just moving something to a different room can make you feel like you have a whole new piece of furniture. A corner you walk past every day and ignore suddenly gets a little lift. 


This is the spare room above, half way through being sorted out. This sideboard held a TV that no-one watched, a broken xbox, and lots of games and craft materials, much of which needed a good sort. 


So I thought I'd move it to the kitchen-dining room, where this walnut sideboard has always stood. 

And this is with the white one:


It's a lot smaller for starters, which is good as our kitchen is not huge, but I absolutely love the white against the grey wall. 


It's still roomy enough to hold everything the other one did; tablecloths, place mats, vases, candles, etc.

And the corner of the living room which previously held this chest of drawers....


...now has the sideboard from the kitchen. Come on, keep up! If you're confused imagine how John feels...



And best of all there is a huge, blank wall above it ready to be filled with lots of pictures in a family gallery wall. I do like a gallery wall and I miss the one we used to have in our old dining room.


I found that glass lamp base wrapped in bubble wrap in the cupboard under the stairs - I think I'd forgotten I had it! So that was fun, like unwrapping a present. 

I hope that wasn't too boring. I'm hoping that, like me, you're all secret furniture rearrangers underneath. I blame my mum; she was, and still is, always moving things around the place and would regularly put her back out trying to move the piano. And I have also inherited from her the terrible affliction of not being able to go up to bed without plumping the cushions on the sofa.

So that was most of my weekend, but there was also food shopping, cake, crochet, Strictly Come Dancing, ironing, gardening, and an epic roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner followed by sticky toffee pudding, all cooked by John. Oh, and I'm joining Slimming World on Thursday. 

Have a great week everyone. I hope, wherever you are, that you are staying safe and dry and are not affected by the serious storms happening in some parts of the world. 




26 comments:

  1. I like your move around and agree about the white cabinet against the grey. We have just reduced the size of our book collection - one of the hardest things I find to declutter as I get so attached to a book. We had a full size Billy bookcase of books on our landing now reduced to two shelves worth and I have found new homes for these in other parts of the house so at last the dark brown 'Billy' is going into retirement - I can't wait to see the space we gain.
    PS Slimming World? The photos of yourself are so slim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems many people are reducing clutter at the moment. It's quite therapeutic lol. Glad you had a nice weekend. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! My granny changed furniture around all the time, and my mother did, too - I often woke up in the morning and tripped over something that was in a new place overnight...! So naturally when the time came, I became a re-mover, too, and my daughters are just as bad, haha, 4 generations of furniture shifting and musical furniture being exchanged!!
    I am just off to England to remove some of Granny's things to our holiday home in France, having rearranged everything to make room, and some will come back to Switzerland, too... Affliction of a lifetime, I think, but oh so satisfying :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a bit of furniture rearranging, it always gives a fresh energy doesn't it. I have a friend who rearranges other people's furniture while babysitting! I am completely unable to walk out of a room with a squashed cushion, whatever time of day it is. Just can't do it. Always, always plumping. You've made such a beautiful job of your home. That grey wall is absolutely gorgeous. Nice find with the lamp base. I fear there is nothing so lovely lurking in my cupboard under the stairs. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not boring to me. I love to rearrange. I haven't done furniture in a while, but I did some sorting in my kids' off-season clothing bins earlier today and that was surprisingly satisfying. I was able to see what I already have and figure out what I need to buy before the cold weather sets in. I love the way the white cabinet looks in your kitchen, it brightens up that area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I'm not the only cushion plumper! Sadly, there's not much scope for rearranging furniture round here - it tends to stay where it is because that's where it fits. I love your white unit against the grey wall and your rediscovered lamp. Just cobwebs, rabbit food and the ironing board in my under stairs cupboard! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that takes me back, I used to be a serial room rearranger when I lived at home but I haven't moved much in years. There is a lot less scope for it here though I'd say. Although we did just move our bedroom around and you are so right, it feels fab, the change is wonderful. I like your shuffle, looks like improvements all round and most inspiring too!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the changes Gillian, it's nice to have a swap around ever now and again! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never move furniture around, it makes me anxious. I should probably address this because I love to see how other families rearrange their home to suit their changing needs. Your home is lovely!
    I am afraid I also rarely plump cushions up.... also something I need to change. Good luck with Slimming World! I am writing food diaries to keep on top of my eating just now. Difficult with three birthday cakes in one week :-) Have a great week. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always moving furniture around, it drives my daughter mad. Although touch wood, I think I have found a really good layout for my bedroom now and possibly the front room. Is that a Leksvig chest of drawers, I have the bookcase, and have drawer envy now....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love rearranging the furniture, I used to do it regularly in my bedroom when I was a teenage and lived with my parents. Now I do it in the whole house putting old things in a new place is like buying new furniture without spending the money. Yea! I love cushions and throws but my husband and son hate them so we only have cushions in our reading corner not on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful! I am always rearranging at our house. I always feel like things get a good clean when they are moved and the dog hair gets swept from where it was hidden. My family ignores it and the dog always seems to know where his little bed is. And I like to fluff and put back before bed too. Love to wake in the morning to a clean sofa and sink.

    My daughters are always moving their rooms around...which is why they probably ignore my putzing about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gillian, it would be lovely if you could redo my house! You have such a brilliant eye for color and details! Always get good ideas from you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a woman after my own heart – I LOVE a good move round. Most of my family hate it, though, so I tend to do it when nobody else is around and surprise them :-) Your rearrangement looks fabulous. By the way, are weekends longer where you live..?! Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to do this but with a young dog int eh mix at the moment we are hiding most things to stop him chewing them! You have made some effective changes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Gillian,
    I've always moved furniture around, ever since I was a little girl. I like the different feel and energy it gives. Plus I feel very smug when I clean the skirting boards behind. I haven't done much in my own house lately, but that's probably because now I do it for a living! Btw I gained weight at Fat Club!!!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did the same at the weekend.Its good to go shopping in your own home!I like your candlesticks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post Gillian & when I was younger & fitter(giggle), I too loved rearranging furniture etc., but rarely do these days. Thanks for sharing your weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like to read about other people moving furniture rather than doing it myself ;) I am working on clearing out, though, and you can actually get past our attic access into the roof space now which - although there's still a long way to go - I'm taking as a huge victory! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mother was happy if she could move a chair, but I prefer continuity. Years ago, before I was married, my parents had a pub and it had three bedrooms. My mum and dad had a bedroom each as dad had bronchitis and slept with the window open. Anyway, my mum had had a lovely day rearranging everything, including moving the beds. Dad went to bed last after clearing the bar, he went upstairs with no lights on and promptly fell onto the floor with his trousers around his ankles, he'd gone for the bed and it just was not there. Poor old dad, he never moaned or complained just whispered to me, "Silly, moo" and said a loud goodnight to my mother. So be warned. Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a rather satisfying weekend! I do like the feeling of a new look in our home, without any shopping involved...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds lovely! My mother moved furniture round all the time. My sister and I never knew which way round our bedroom would be when we got home from school.
    I can't move anything! If I do I find it's back where it started when my husband gets home. We have too much furniture (all full of 'stuff' - not mine I hasten to add!) and he won't part with a single thing. He found it seriously traumatic when I made him get a smaller desk so we could fit in a bed for the granddaughter!
    Keep moving round - it refreshes the spirits to have a different outlook and it costs nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You can't need to lose much weight, surely! But I'm sure you'll find SW helpful. My (seriously overweight) son-in-law has lost 11 stone over 18 months with them, plus exercising. We are all so proud of his achievement - and he is so much happier in himself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You kept yourself busy alright. I love when an idea pops into my head and the budget wasn't touched because of shifting a few items around in the nest...happy nesting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your home is so pretty! I love shopping my own home to make an area a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love moving my furniture around! Over the summer I took my boys away for two weeks, leaving my husband at home. When we returned he had rearranged everything! It was delightful to come home to a fresh-looking home!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.