Tuesday 29 August 2017

An Embroidered Holiday Diary: France


My embroidered diary of our holiday in France is back from the framers, a whole week earlier than expected and now sitting on the mantel. 


I am very happy with it. It's not technically perfect and I have a few issues with the composition, but this is just me being my perfectionist self. Overall, I love the look and feel of it, I loved every second I spent stitching it, and most importantly it's full of good memories of our holiday in Brittany.


I thought you may like to know a little more about how I made it and what I decided to include. 

I hadn't really thought about the composition before we left for our holiday. I just took a piece of white cotton fabric with me and my bag or embroidery threads, and it was only on the second day, when I finally felt like I had a moment to stop and think, that I sat down and sketched out a rough grid. Twelve squares for twelve days, drawn roughly with a fading ink pen.


There was no plan beyond that, I just tried to go with what we'd done that day and keep it as free and spontaneous as possible. I generally decided what to sew at the end of the day and started it on the next, as I liked to plan it in the daytime when my brain was awake and the light was good. Some days I spent an hour sewing, others three or four. It totally depended on the detail of what I was sewing, and how much time I had to stitch that day. I got more done on rainy days than sunny ones!

Day one was easy, a Tricolore flag, the same as the one that flew on our ferry, to celebrate our arrival in France. With most of the motifs I drew straight onto the fabric with the pen and stitched straight over the top.


I don't think we did anything in particular on our second day beyond an enormous supermarket shop, but I do remember enjoying my first long, leisurely lunch of bread, cheese and salad.


On the third day I stitched a Breton style top. This classic design is for sale everywhere - cheap versions in the markets and pricier ones in the boutiques - and it's worn widely by all kinds of people, not just the tourists like me. 


It seems like every day is market day in France and I did love wandering around them, browsing the stalls. Below I decided to sew a fruit stall using lots of tiny French knots. You can see that I got quite carried away here and enjoyed choosing the colours and adding details like leaves, and this section took quite a while.


On the fifth day I chose one of the oyster shells I'd picked up on my morning run on the beach. I didn't feel confident drawing this shape straight onto the fabric so I sketched onto paper first then, when I felt happy with the shape, traced it onto the cotton with the fading ink pen. Oysters are a huge part of the Brittany fishing industry and are in fishmongers, supermarkets and restaurants. I didn't try one. I've never tried one. I am probably missing out but something about them, I don't know...they just don't appeal. I like the shape of the shells though.


The sixth day, Friday, it poured with rain all day long and so we explored the nearby walled town of Vannes with it's Medieval streets and prettily painted timbered buildings. This was another day which took a long time to sew, and I got quite carried away adding things like shutters, window boxes and balconies.


Agapanthus is so widely grown in Brittany, in both public and private gardens, down the sides of roads, on roundabouts, and sold in the markets too. It's not a flower I'd really noticed or considered before, but I associate it with this area now.


Day 8, a Sunday, was a beach day. 


As was the following day, the one really hot day we had there, and we all bought ice creams and ate them as we walked down to the beach. The shop, called l'Igloo, had a selection of flavours that was almost overwhelming, there were so many to choose from, but I chose violet. It tasted of parma violet sweets, which I think you either like or you don't. I love them. 


On our tenth day we took a boat to the Ile des Moines, in the Gulf of Morbihan. This isn't the grubby old tub we chugged along in, this is a much prettier boat I snapped from the deck. (I think a little artistic license is acceptable...)


I honestly can't remember what we did on the eleventh day, and it was probably nothing remarkable, but we certainly drank some of the local cider. Brittany is known for it's apple production and cider and Calvados (apple brandy) are sold everywhere. You can't really tell but that "cidre" lettering involved only one strand of thread and was very fiddly.


And finally the white and black Gwenn-ha-du which is the Breton flag. In Brittany the sense of local pride and identity is strong, and this flag is printed on bottles and packets in shops, hung outside houses and in towns, displayed on street signs, sold on postcards.


This is what the back of the piece looks like. I know some people get hung up on what the reverse of an embroidery looks like, how tidy it is. As you can see this is a mess, but I don't care, it's like a deconstructed, slightly abstract version of the tidy front.


Sometimes I think my favourite part is the fruit stall, but then I think no, it's the ice cream, or the boat, or the agapanthus. I can never decide. I love the beach scene too. Maybe my favourite part is the Breton sweater, I like it's shape and simplicity. I don't know. I would love to know if you have a day or motif you particularly like. 


43 comments:

  1. Wow, it's just gorgeous. Such a creative and thoughtful way to commemorate a special experience. I'm sure your family will love having it to remind them of the nice time they had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW Gillian, it's fantastic, Clever you, I knew it would be lovely and you've completely nailed it. I love all the different stitches. You have reminded me of a neighbour a couple of doors up when I was little who had a wonderful haberdashery and taught me some embroidery. She really was the most fantastic seamstress, tailor, embroiderer, anything stitchy. I have probably forgotten most of it now. Love the beach one, how you've cleverly made it fade towards the front to achieve perspective. Nicely done my friend. So glad you had such a good holiday, and what a lovely thing to remember it by. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing and a lovely way to remember your holiday. I particularly love the market stall - all those French knots! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing and such a nice reminder of holidays, I want to do one now! We have agapanthas here in NZ by the millions too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the market stall, well actually, I love all of it, so hard to choose really. Glad you had a lovely holiday and one that you will remember every time you glance at this beautiful piece of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is such a lovely memento of your holiday in France & clever you thinking it up & taking the time to do it. I can't draw, but yours are simple & pretty. I'm like you, not knowing which is my favourite, but I do love the row of pretty houses, also the colour of the boat & the market stall. As for the agapanthus, what can I say! Although not one of our natives, they certainly grow all over the place here too. I've had them in most of my gardens & always pick them for our Xmas table, though none in this garden. I remember from childhood, people would pair them with shasta daisies in summer. Thanks for the story behind them & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's brilliant. You've done a great job embroidering all the fine detail. I've often thought it would be lovely to have a 6" x 4" cross stitch kit of a cottage you've stayed in, or a tourist spot. Your sampler idea is even better. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gillian - that is so creative - I love the market stall too - if I wasn't knee deep in decluttering and tied up with decorating at the moment I would be motivated to try some more embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderfully creative and perfectly executed memento of your holiday. You should be very proud of yourself. I love all the vignettes, especially the little window boxes on the houses. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you really want us to pick favorites, I absolutely love the fruit stand, because it reminds me of my trips to France and Spain, and I also love the beach. Well, I love it all, but those are probably my two favorites. Today. What I truly love is the variety of subjects and images, and most particularly this truly lovely way to remember your vacation. Thank you so much for sharing this. You are an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! It's wonderful. What a spectacular memory you've created.


    ReplyDelete
  12. That really is evocative of Brittany - also "my" north Brittany! Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant way to capture your holiday in Brittany. I love it all but my favourite bit is the market stall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for taking us through every motif. Like you I can not choose my favorite. The details of the fruit stand are amazing. The houses of Vannes are charming. The icecream is really well done colourwise. And I could continue like that! This is such a nice way to remember your holidays and I imagine it makes you appreciate them longer than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like everyone else here, I really love this and think you've done a fantastic job, both creatively and in terms of craft. The fruit stall is fabulous - I want to buy and eat all that miniature fruit!
    Thank you for explaining about the Breton flag. At first glance, I was wondering why you had added the "stars and stripes".

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is simply beautiful and for me I like it because it is instant and has not dragged on for ages after your holiday. It would not feel the same then. I know when I scrapbook my holiday photos much later after the event the pages are not as alive as when I do them as soon as I get back.It is wonderful. Jo xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful memory of your holidays! Better than any photograph really. I particularly love the beach picture, it is amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are very clever. I need you to come on holiday with me next time and do an embroidery of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great job, which I do enjoy as a Breton woman myself ! I wish I could do the same with my (much enjoyed) trips to Wales or England.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely beautiful, what an heirloom you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's beautiful Gillian. What a lovely way to hold on to your holiday memories. X

    ReplyDelete
  22. the boat is terrific! good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally fab embroidery. I would be more than happy to display this on my mantle, and thank you for sharing the creative journey.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a work of art Gillian - fantastic job! I'm not inclined to the small and intricate arts - so the detail involved in this really impresses me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's lovely! All of it. Thanks so much for sharing how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A wonderful souvenir and perfectly executed. It is lovely to see your stitches so closely thanks to your super photography. I've been stitching a small wildflower meadow on soft linen this summer (I unpick as much as I'm happy with and trying so hard to overcome my perfectionist tendencies!) so I really appreciate the work that has gone into this. Well done Gillian.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmmm... the market stall with all those sweet French knots. Or the agapanthus... or the beach... maybe the ice cream? Such a lovely idea and reminder

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, that is just amazing!! It's very difficult to pick a favourite I must say but I think mine is probably the ice cream (probably.........). xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is extraordinary Gillian!
    I'm in awe!
    all the Best from a French living in Chicago~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely perfect embroidery ARTwork. You are an artist! I love it! You've inspired me to try some sewing...May I ask, are those yellow buoys on the beach? does the water come up and make those ropes float for safety at the beach? I've never seen anything like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn, thank you! Yes, they are yellow buoys - they mark a large area reserved for swimmers that is monitored by a life guard.

      Delete
  31. Gorgeous work! I love this free embroidery and what a lovely way to capture the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  32. In total awe of this Gillian, it's so very beautiful. I really need to up my embroidery game. So far I've accomplished some pretty complex cross stitch but I don't know any embroidery stitches. Any tips for how to get started? What did you start with to learn all the stitches?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it. My favourite is the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gosh this is by far your best yet and I loved all the others! I know you do this for you and your memories but it is truely professional. Fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is such a cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just beautiful, Gillian!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  37. This looks so good and I really love it as a holiday momento. I very much like the market stall as I am partial to french knots. I like how each picture tells a story.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.