Saturday 19 August 2017

Resettling

 

Thank you for your comments on my Brittany post. It's fun that so many of you share my love of foreign supermarkets. In many ways they're more interesting to me than the street markets, perhaps because they're so similar to how I shop at home, but with different products, packaging and smells. Thank you also for your well wishes for my Grandad, you are all so kind. He's doing incredibly well and how been moved from ICU to a regular ward, and plans are being made for his return home. 

I forgot to tell you in my last post that I kept another embroidered holiday diary while we wre away, like I did when we went to Cornwall in 2014. Twelve little motifs or vignettes for twelve days. Some took longer than others, but I was able to work on it for a couple of hours each day (in daylight hours too - such a holiday luxury!) and finished it last weekend. It's off to the framers next week then of course I will show you all. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed stitching each image, and how much fun it was choosing what to sew and how to sew it. 


I enjoyed sharing stages of the progress on Instagram while we were away, but I thought some of you might also like to see a few pictures. I'll show it to you all properly when it's framed.



The days are flying by so quickly at the moment and I don't really know what I'm doing with them. I don't seem to be able to account for my time at the moment, but does that even matter? Apart from a couple of days with my friend Abigail in London earlier in the week, we've been at home mainly. Getting on with jobs, seeing people, pottering around the house and garden. The weather has been a typical August mixture of sun and showers, and it feels cooler in the evenings than it did a month ago, and darker too now that I come to think of it. I've been rearranging and refreshing rooms and shelves here and there, moving plants, adding throws, switching on fairy lights. The chevron crochet you see above is to be a wall hanging for Bella's bedroom. It's almost finished, I just need to block it and add tassels. My next project will be crocheted fruit which I'm really excited to start.


The holiday feeling did linger for a while, as I unpacked and arranged souvenirs and washed the shells I'd collected, but now it's hard to believe we've been home a week. I feel like I've caught up with the garden a bit now, reconnected with it, and I've potted the planters on my door step with dahlias. They were £1.67 or something per plant from Lidl, so cheap, and I always feel better about the garden if the pots on my door step look presentable. I'm astounded that I'm still picking sweet peas, maybe five or ten a day and, even though they're looking so straggly and brown, I'm reluctant to pull them all up just yet. Just one week more, then I'll replant the planter with cosmos and dhalias. The courgettes have gone mad in my absence and there are loads, and they're supermarket size now. I feel like I grew these by accident really. A colleague gave me a plant, I planted it, did nothing to it, then loads of courgettes appeared. That's my kind of gardening, if I'm honest.


I popped in to see my sister, Katy on Friday morning. I don't know if I've told you about her garden before, but she lives in an Edwardian terrace and it's really long and narrow, and you can't see the bottom of the garden from the house due to the way it's been planted. It has huge, overgrown borders, winding paths, apple trees, the most incredible climbing roses, a pond. It's really magical, but a huge amount of work, frankly, to even keep on top of it. They plan to remodel it in the future, but for now she was more than happy for me to pick a bunch of wildflowers, dig up a few plants (including a Japanese anemone), pick a sack load of cooking apples and a handful of wild blackberries. Oh, and I borrowed a cookery book too. Not bad for a morning's work. 




19 comments:

  1. Lovely photos - especially the one of B and A giggling together. An embroidered diary is a wonderful idea and such a lovely reminder of your holiday; I can't wait to see the end result. Your sister's garden does sound truly magical and you've reminded me that I must do something with our cooking apples other than letting them fall to the ground for the deer to eat! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of French knots for the rush of sea on sand, so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though your August is meandering nicely - a bit of doing stuff, a bit of lazing. Love your embroidery and admire how you've actually finished it! I'm pretty smart at starting but taking so long I move onto something else - looking forward to seeing your finished piece of work X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your idea of an embroidery diary of your trip, and I was pleased that you had the link to the one from your Cornwall trip - it is lovely, and such a creative memory. For many years my mother had a piece of fabric that she was embroidering that had a map of the uk and various symbols to depict an area of the uk i.e. a coal mine, or a sheaf of wheat. It was never finished and when she died I searched for it but it was gone. I have a theory that it was designed/given out to celebrate the Festival of Britain in the fifties - and perhaps they were meant as fire screens or tray cloths. I have seen some of them embroidered and collected on line. Anyway, I did admire your creation, such a lovely idea. Jean, Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  5. The school holiday days just evaporate don't they. I'm glad it looks as though your granddad will be able to return home soon. The new embroidery looks lovely, the texture of your stitches is brilliant. Your sister's garden sounds divine, a little wilderness is a very good thing. I bet the wildlife love it there. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sister's garden sounds wonderful, exactly like my fantasy of what an English back garden should be like. :) I'm glad you're having a nice time settling back into home life after your time away. It sounds like you're enjoying yourself. I never know where the time goes when we're home for summer break; twelve weeks just flew past. They didn't feel that quick when I was inside them, but now it feels like they never even happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gillian,
    Your embroidery is going to look amazing. I brought back lots of oyster shells from Brittany, but I'm not sure what I've done with them. And I'm really glad that your Grandad is fine of fettle once more.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The evenings do not only FEEL cooler and darker, they ARE - just think of how many weeks have already passed since the 21st of June! I really like this time of year, the transition of summer into high summer into early autumn. I have already spotted the odd coloured leaf on a chestnut truee. And rosehips - oh, I do love rosehips!

    The stitched holiday diary is fabulous and one of the best creative ideas I have come across. If I were more the patient handicraft type, I'd love to make such diaries for each of the wonderful holidays I have been having in the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving these gentle days of the summer holidays, but do wonder what happened to the weeks. Feeling sad that here are only two left. My sweet peas didn't appreciate us abandoning them when we went on holiday, and even though I'm told it rained a lot here, they were brown and crisp on our return. But still producing an odd flower, so like you I am reluctant to dig them up quite yet. So glad your Grandad is doing well, and looking forward to seeing your French diary

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so good to get home again and settle in isn't it! Doesn't mean you didn't enjoy being away, but home is so good. Your embroidery is very pretty indeed! Glad that things are going as well as they can for your Grandad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cant wait to see it framed. Super loving the pictures of your home, especially your fire place. Taking lots of mental images of it, hopefully I will have a new house to titivate soon. A new stove is a must.

    Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't forget to pick some sweet pea seeds to dry and save for next year. My latest acquisition is a pair of saltwater sandals in navy so I was ogling your last picture. We have kind of lost momentum on the Summer holidays. We have done so much but today the girls have whiled away the morning watching TV which irks me but I have no more umph to do anything different.Sigh! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure why, but I only look at your blog on my school computer...which meant that all summer I have been negelecting to see the fabulous pics you've been posting. Your pictures really make me feel like a teeny tiny bit of my days are spent visiting a very lovely house with a very lovely family in England. I like that! Thanks always for sharing! Enjoy those last bits of summer! I plan to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your embroidery is beautiful Gillian. I do love the special things you make for your home. My allotment sweet peas which are usually brown and brittle by the end of July have are also still blooming which is due entirely to ALL THE RAIN! Give your anemones plenty of room as they like to wander around the garden. They look especially lovely with fuchsias and grasses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another lovely post Gillian & I love the idea of a stitchery to capture your holiday & can't wait to see it framed. Winding down after a holiday seems to take a lot of time, but reconnecting after being on foreign soil is even more so. Thanks for the post, take care & I'm on catchup after local i'net problems.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Cornwall embroidery inspired me to make an embroidered holiday diary while we were in Greece this summer - I loved stitching it every day and will have to send you a photo! It was the cause of lots of conversations with strangers as I worked on it in cafes, bus stops and on ferries, and now I have a lovely souvenir of our holiday. Thanks for the brilliant idea. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post with gorgeous photos Gillian, I loved looking at your Brittany photos....brought back happy memories, thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear your Grandad is doing so well.
    Love your new holiday project, very happy to see a stripy top in the mix there!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was awe-inspired by your holiday embroidery. I seem to get little time for such things with 3 boys all under age 6 but appreciate your blog none the less.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.