Sunday 25 June 2017

Summer Love Bag


How's your weekend been? I've basically watched Glastonbury as much as possible. Radiohead on Friday night and Foo Fighters last night were both incredibly good and I found myself wishing I was there like I never had before. Those bands are my vintage, the music of my student days. Funny how it stays with you so. Bella has also been watching it - she's becoming more musically aware all the time, asking when I can take her to a concert - and asked if we could go to Glastonbury next year. Oh, if only getting tickets was that easy. There's also the camping part. 


When I haven't been watching Glastonbury I've been pottering around the house and enjoying a pretty quiet weekend. Plant shopping, food shopping, cooking, gardening, sanding and painting a wooden chair, ironing. The usual. I like the usual. I think a pottering weekend at home is pretty much my favourite way to spend time. 


I also finished my Wool and the Gang Summer Love bag. I started this about a month ago and almost finished it over half term, but I realised I'd made a big mistake with the increases. There was nothing for it but to unravel almost the whole thing and start again, which I did, but then it took me another three weeks to finish it. But I'm so very glad I did as I absolutely love it.


I'm particularly happy with the colours. I wanted the bottom half to be a fairly forgiving colour, thinking it would be placed on the ground a lot, so chose grey. The peachy pink isn't something I'd normally go for but I love it's summery warmth and how it contrasts with the grey.


I'd intended to use this as a bag for towel, book, sun cream for the beach or pool when we go to France for a fortnight in August. But it's already become my handbag. It's too nice to only use now and then.


The yarn is pretty special, I need to tell you about that. It's called Tina Tape and it's made from the eucalytpus tree. This makes it vegan and environmentally friendly in it's production, if such things are important to you, and non-scratchy for those who find they can't wear wool against their skin. It is a tape, thin and wide, which takes a bit of getting used to on the hook but after a few rows I had the hang of it. It has the soft sheen of mercerised cotton yarn when it's worked up, but it doesn't split on the hook like cotton sometimes can, and it's silky soft. It's also durable and washable so a good choice for a bag, or any garment that's going to get some wear. I'm quite won over by it.


So, tomorrow I'll be swinging my new bag on my arm, telling anyone who'll listen that yes, I made this, thank you very much. I'm also wishing summer would come back. The last four days have been grey, humid and yet also extremely windy. That's got to be the three worst weather conditions all in one go. Come back blue skies and balmy nights, you were lovely. 

(Ever so slightly blurry photos of me taken, begrudgingly, by Bella.)

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful bag, I'm one of those who can't have wool next to their skin. Use to love to go to concert, now my ears say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag is awesome! I need one just like it (but I am not going there, too many projects on the go). We took Sam to see the Pogues when he was nine. He loved every minute of it. Enjoy your week x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snap with Glastonbury!
    I started taking my daughter to concerts when she was about 10 - loved it. I think her first one was amongst other bands, Metallica at Download right through to Blue, Katy Perry, Lady Ga Ga and various others - loved them all. She's 24 now and is at Glastonbury as I type (envious here!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful bag! I love the colors. I have plans for a bag soon too, and I had a similar train of thought with the colors. Mine will have dark blue on the bottom half and rose-pink on the top. I went to so many concerts when I was young. Oh, it was so much fun. My favorite ones were Barenaked Ladies, Third Eye Blind and Goo Goo Dolls. I don't know what I would do with kids at a concert like that, but maybe when they're teenagers. Then they might not want to be there with me, though. We listen to Radiohead here a lot, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous bag... colours and pattern! A perfect summertime bag. I made a crochet bag a few months ago but am thinking it probably needs lining. Which is a whole other stage and means it is part of a pile of waiting things. Maybe I should just start using it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bag is beautiful, and the colours are just perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos, well done Bella. I always wish I was at Glastonbury, maybe one day. The yarn sounds brilliant, I love natural non-wool yarns. Non-splitting is a big plus too. Clever and practical idea putting grey at the bottom. You've made a lovely job of it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I won tickets to Glastonbury in 2008, it was amazing. I have tried unsuccessfully on and off since to buy tickets, I would have loved to go again this year, having turned 50 this June! If you ever get the chance, go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the introduction to a new-to-me kind of fiber, Gillian. It is good to know that your pretty and practical creative efforts should wear well. Also, thanks for your comments about Glastonbury Festival which sent me on a cyber-mission to become better informed. While I did not attend the original Woodstock concert in the USA, I lived several miles from a 25 year revival of it in upstate NY in 1994. We could hear echoes from the loud speakers from our house on the west bank of the Hudson River. It was exciting, but even if I was keen on witnessing performances close up, the past challenges of weather, sanitation, health and safety would discourage me from participating in future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a lovely weekend & yes, the music of our youth definitely stays with you, though I do have a fairly wide range of genre I like. Does the eucalyptus fibre yarn come from Australia, as I've not heard about it & we do have a lot of native gum trees. Must look into this. Have a good week & take care. I'm on catch due to being away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I listened to Glastonbury too but have never been (been to so many others but that one has eluded me) Your bag is super summery. I used the tina tape to make a top and it really is love;y to wear against the skin. Lets hope for more trips to the beach eh? Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glastonbury, it strikes me, is a place best experienced on TV. That way you get the best of all stages with no mud.

    Nah, kidding. If I got the chance I'd go just for the experience. But until then, the BBC do a good level of coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the new summer bag and your choice of colours is gorgeous. I shall look at our eucalyptus tree in a new light! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely bag, not surprised you want to use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.