Sunday 18 June 2017

A Drop of Golden Sun



Oh, it's hot, and it's wonderful. This is Britain, with our notoriously unreliable weather, and so this could well be it for summer. With that in mind, I am doing my very best to make the most of every sunny morning, scorching afternoon and balmy night. (And it's not even that hot - it's only in the high twenties/low eighties - so readers in warmer parts of the world, you are justified in rolling your eyes at my excitement.) But this has been one of those perfect, glorious weekends where I just wanted to squeeze every last drop out of it.

We had to go to Winchester yesterday to pick up two chairs I'd bought on eBay for a song - spindle backed, wooden, they will be painted black or white and one will go at my dressing table -so we thought we'd make a day of it. Winchester is exceptionally pretty and it was so nice to be just wandering about the shops and streets in the sunshine. I bought a new and much needed pair of sunglasses, since I lost my old ones. We had an impromptu picnic in the magnificent cathedral grounds, M&S salad for me, pasties and sausage rolls from the local bakery for everyone else.  We ordered both kids new bikes too, since their current ones are embarrassingly small for them. Then we made our way home to sit out in the garden and ate pizza for tea. 

This morning, for some insane reason, we decided to trim our unruly hedges that border our neighbour's drive at the front of the house. The plan was to do it early, before it got too hot. But then we slept in, had a late and lazy breakfast of pancakes and fruit, and before I knew it it was 11am. Lordy it was hot out there, and I forgot to put any sun cream on so I now have really red shoulders. Honestly, my attitude to my own sun protection is lax, to put it mildly. I'm olive skinned and tan quickly so I don't often get caught out, but this has made me complacent. The kids will be smothered in factor 50, wearing their sunhats, but I'll totally forget to do the same to myself. It won't do, no-one likes a lobster, it's not a good look. Anyway, we tackled that flipping hedge, then went to the tip, then all came home and sort of collapsed in the garden, staring in to space. The children wanted the paddling pool out - so did I to be fair - but that required some serious effort with the foot pump and my calves are still burning. And so I spent rest of today flopped in a chair in the garden with my crochet, listening to The Archers on my phone, sort of trying to drown out the shrieks of Bella and Angus playing in the pool. (Sorry, neighbours...) Later on we barbecued some chicken breasts and halloumi and ate it with salads, bread and corn-on-the-cob. It was so good. Do you like Bella's rainbow salad up there? She was obsessed with putting it in a jam jar. I was worried she'd discovered Pinterest but it turns out Matilda Ramsay did it on Matilda and the Ramsay bunch.

I hope you are all enjoying the warm weather? I know that not everyone likes the heat. And thanks for the tips about oxalis from my Antipodean readers, I will make sure it never gets near the garden!




15 comments:

  1. Bliss! It has been warm here but not particularly sunny. Love all your summery photos. We spent some time at Decathlon today buying wet suits and then being stuck on the car park because the ignition was jammed... ah well! Keeping my fingers crossed for an extra week of sun x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds wonderful! You seem to be in summer mode now. Good for you. I hope the good weather lasts for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos look so nice and relaxed. The best of summer.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sunny weather is so fabulous. I'm a huge fan of the heat - almost reaching for my cardigan yesterday when it got breezy! The only downside being smothering everyone in factor 50.
    Enjoy it while it lasts. We're getting the paddling pool out later. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a good shopper Gillian. I have a gene from my family that nearly stops me treating us altogether and when I read your post I like to think that one day I will spend some money for the joy of it. I think your sunglasses are fabulous and you should wear them with pride while we have some sunny weather. I have a hot weekend post too. xx
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/wonderful-weekend.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely summery post! We're in the middle of a stint of high summer temperatures (in spite of it still being spring officially), and like you, I am enjoying it very much. The long hours of daylight help!
    The rainbow salad looks fun but I prefer to eat it tossed from a bowl instead of in layers out of a jar. Your bread made me want to get some bread instantly, but I have only just finished eating my muesli as I am typing this :-)
    Hopefully, we'll have some lovely weather like this in July, when we'll be in Yorkshire for two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it's been fabulous hasn't it. I have a shameful sunburn as well after sitting in the sun for the first hour of cricket yesterday. Kept meaning to move at the end of an over then missing the opportunity. My knees are puce, it's hideous. And yes, the children reminded me that I always smother them in Factor 50. INSET day today and I am mulling over some outdoor pool action. I will be very eye-catching with the scarlet knees and lily-white thighs. Another couple of days of delicious weather at least I think, hope you enjoy them. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be happy if my 14 year old stuck to Pinterest. It's Snapchat you have to worry about.😂

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you all had a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did exactly the same, cut the bushes that separate us from our neighbours in the heat of the day. I didn't have sunscreen on but I always wear a t-shirt so I didn't get burnt but I did drink two pints of juice in an hour which is a world record for me. Then yesterday we went to Settle to a bird of prey experience and the lovely hen harrier was also suffering in the heat and flew off and hid in the woods! At least the scenery was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your weekend sounded lovely indeed except for your sunburn. We have finally had a bit of warm weather, too, and gardening chores done. I had to check out how I had participated in antipodean opinion about Oxalis Now I am wiser and on guard about letting it invade our garden and am glad I have it just as house plants in pots! It is funny though about what is considered invasive one place and nurtured in other locales. A county agent told us last year that Foxglove is considered non-native and invasive where we live, but until he said that I have been thrilled to have it pop up here and there around our front pond, and now am conflicted! Wishing you more happy days xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a lovely weekend... Winchester is such a beautiful town, I miss it now we have moved away. Especially The Hambledon! Our weekend was spent watching a swim gala... and watching how beautifully sunny it was outside! So hot in the swimming pool and so cramped that my knitting mostly stayed in the bag. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'Me, a name I call myself; Far, a long, long way to run' – you've got me humming this tune now..! Gorgeous photos and lovely tales from your happy house. Really like that rainbow salad and your sunglasses. It is wonderful to be able to potter about in bare feet with all the windows and doors open. We usually have a sea breeze keeping everything cool but that's not been having much effect these last few days. Hope you have a lovely week. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Gillian,
    How wonderful it has been to throw every window wide open and sit outside until late! I'm not a sun worshipper (my Welsh heritage ginger hair/fair skin combo puts paid to that) but I love to sit under a brolly and enjoy the warmth. Barbecue tea here this evening; burgers, chicken and corn in the cob. Yum!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great weekend - you made the most of the good weather!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.