Sunday 14 May 2017

Eight


I am worn out. Swaying on my feet worn out,  but it's the kind of happy, satisfied tired feeling you get after a weekend where you didn't really stop but it was all good.


Angus turned eight on Friday. We celebrated with a family tea party yesterday, and he also had a day out with his best friend Jasper the previous weekend. He had no expectations about what he might unwrap and was genuinely thrilled with every single gift, even the ones that are actually necessities rather than treats, like new wellie boots. Among other things he was given Lego, some binoculars, a cricket bat and lots of books. Badgers didn't feature quite as heavily this year as they have done previously. If asked, he'd still say that they're his favourite animals but his interests have stretched into other animals, birds (hence the binoculars and books) and wildlife in general. Oh, and Minecraft, of course.


His cake was a bit of a mess. I made one, and it wasn't big enough, so I made another to put on top. Then it took ages to cool and people were due to be arriving, so I iced it while it was still quite warm. The cake was crumbling as fast as I slapped chocolate frosting on it, and the buttons on top were melting into a puddle in the middle. Luckily it's a good recipe - it's the chocolate coca cola cake from How To Be A Domestic Goddess - and the cake tasted good, even if it didn't look that great. Ever the perfectionist, I was annoyed with myself at the time for not planning it all better, but Angus loved it and had fun blowing out the candles, so it must've been ok.


I made Angus a seagull from the book Edward's Menagerie: Birds. I just love these books and think they are inspired. Such good, solid, well written patterns and the creatures are so full of personality and character. The seagull is from the beginner section of the book but I learnt a new-to-me technique, splitting a round. Overall I'd say it was a little harder to make than the animals (those fiddly legs!) but a lot easier to sew together. He's called Dave, in case you were wondering.  


That photo of Dave and Charlie propping each other up makes me smile - they look like they're slumped after one drink too many. 

Cakes and celebrations aside, I've spent most of the weekend in the kitchen or garden. No crochet on the go at the moment, but I'm spending lots of time and creative energy on food and plants, which feels good.  Thank you for your comments on my crochet vegetables. I have a few other projects I need to get done first, but I'm already looking forward to starting the fruit. 


23 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Angus! It looks like you had a great extended celebration. I bet that cake tasted amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy b to your son, love the seagulls. Got the veggie crochet book and now I'll have to go looking for the animal book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A belated Happy Birthday Angus. I'm sure the cake was yummy & I know the feeling of things not looking good, but tasting great. Do it a lot(giggle). Love Dave!!! Angus you are a boy after my own heart, with an interest in birds. He needs a bird book now too, so he can identify them. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Angus! 8 is a fine age to be. I think your cake looks absolutely delicious and Dave the seagull is a triumph. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. I just wanted to say I love your blog! It's such a happy peaceful blog and a joy to read. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Angus! He is getting so big. I love these photos of him, so cute and full of personality. He looks like a really fun child. I have always wanted to make that cake recipe, by the way. I think yours looks great. Dave is really cute, nice job with him. His legs are perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing Angus,s birthday. He looks so chuffed. Great blog as always with great photos. Really cheers me up. All the best. Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Angus! I especially enjoy seeing Angus with Dave :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a happy little boy and what a lovely mummy you are, Gillian, to have done all those things for him. His happiness is obvious in his face! I love Dave the Gull! In our part of the country (Torbay) they are a pest but only because the public at large are pretty stupid(for the most part) regarding feeding them, encouraging them; they have been known to attack people and pets. But Dave here is a Good Gull, and wouldn't dream of doing that! Perhaps you could make a Mrs Gull to go with him? Dave and Doris, ha ha! Or Dave and Dora? Only joking, but I do love him! How you can get such character into something out of crochet is amazing!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adore the seagull! so much hard work went into that toy. Any cake not cooked by me tastes divine! Happy birthday Angus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad he had a good birthday, eight is an excellent age, although in this house we will be moving on to nine before too much longer. Binoculars, books and a cricket bat are exactly the sort of things mine like too. Brilliant seagull, nicely done, and I love the shot of him propping up Charlie. Well done on pulling the cake together at the last minute, it looks absolutely delicious. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday Angus! Oh, I now want to cook Coca Cola cake - yours looks yum. Dave made me smile, great name for a gull

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think of Angus as the oldest, I forget he is younger. Meg is eight in October. Dave looks like he will fit right in. Wine? would that help? Jo xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday Angus!

    I had to laugh about Dave - our blackbirds are Ottokar (m) and Emma (f)...
    My younger grandson (2) calls elephants "Hans" - it's how he understands the "-phant" part of the word lol! Now they will all be Hans 😂

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to Angus. Love the seagull, he's great. Charlie and Dave look great characters. When my two boys were small, I used to knit a character and stick it in the top of their Christmas stocking. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chocolate cakes always taste good in my book and despite your misgivings on the outcome and decoration it looks very tempting. I like the two 'drunken' characters. You earned a good rest now after your busy birthday - Angus looks like he had an excellent day and one for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Dave the gull! Glad Angus had a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photographs are very similar to one's taken in this house yesterday, although ours include a little bit more pink! A Happy Birthday to Angus. He looks a very happy boy and thrilled with his seagull (rightly so).
    I hope you are now thoroughly recovered from the celebrations.
    You're creating happy memories. X

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a happy day, and what a lovely little boy you have.

    Have also made that chocolate cake recipe and it is rather yummy.

    Love the blog, am a new reader , thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a fun party! Your handsome son looks very happy with it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a delightful party! I LOVE the picture of your son with his beloved seagull...what a perfect eight-year old grin. Perfect! I teach nine turning ten-year olds....love those grins :) Be sure not to turn around...I did and now I have men for sons and I have no idea when it happened!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic seagull and the cakes looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Belated birthday wishes to Angus.
    The cake sounds wonderful, I have that book, should give it a go.
    Of course the seagull is called Dave, perfect name for him!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.