Monday 8 August 2016

Room Tour: The Kitchen-Dining Room

Hello lovelies! I hope you're all well. Thank you for your recent comments - I'm glad so many of you are also enjoying Stranger Things. We've had such a nice few days here; a day out to Mottisfont on Saturday, where the gardens were just so beautiful (I took a million pictures and will do a post about it soon) and yesterday and today we stayed at home, or very near home, pottering quite happily, running the odd errand. I did all my washing today. All of it, five loads, one right after other. The basket was totally empty (for about an hour, anyway), and I did all the ironing too, used up every last coat hanger in the house. I know. Let me just bask in that feeling for a moment... I also spent yesterday binge reading so many blogs and it was wonderful. The rest of this week will be more of the same I hope, doing jobs, staying home, visiting family, blog reading, getting ready for our holiday. 

*

I thought it was about time I shared some photos of our finished kitchen/dining room with you. A while ago, I showed you our newly fitted kitchen, but the dining end of the room remained bare and unfinished. We've been working hard on this over the last few weeks and it's pretty much finished now, and in constant use.

That big grey expanse of wall has slowly and carefully been decorated with some framed pictures and prints. The family gallery wall has gone but all four of those images refer to places we've been (honeymoon, wedding anniversary trip, family holiday) and so they remain personal to us.




I'm still not sure about the coastal print on the left - I think the colours are a bit cold for the grey wall. I'd like to make a woven wall hanging from yarn scraps, full of cream, pink, mustard and teal. I think it would look amazing against the grey.


I especially love my little copper hanging planter - it adds a bit of warmth and colour to an empty corner by the door to the living room.


A few weeks ago, John and my Dad spent a day putting up some shelves to hold all our cookery books. We used to have a tall, thin IKEA bookcase here but it never looked right against the off-kilter angle of the chimney breast it leaned against. These shelves are built so that the width of each one follows the line of the asymmetrical chimney breast and it just looks a million times better. (Also - my Dad and John were brilliant and very patient when it came to interpreting my "ideas" into something that could actually be attached to a wall.)


Cookery books were dusted and sorted. This took a long time because I kept sitting down on the floor and reading them.



But look at what they built! Isn't it the most gorgeous thing you've ever seen? Every time I walk past this it makes me smile. I love having our cookery books in the kitchen again. I've mentioned before how much we use them, how frequently they are consulted and read. 


I organised them by colour, for no good practical reason but it just makes me happy.



It's funny to think there used to be a wall there.


This is the view out towards the garden. Those patio doors are open most of the time and access to the garden is easy, which is handy when you're carrying plates of food.



It is a lovely bright space benefiting from lots of natural light, and it's where I spend pretty much all my time during the day. The table is always in use, usually filled with a laptop, pens and paper, homework, magazines, cups of coffee, Lego, Hama beads. Sometimes we even use it to eat. But this is what we wanted so much, one room not just for cooking and eating, but for hanging out all together, warm and busy.






36 comments:

  1. Well, I think it all came together beautifully. Your gray wall is gorgeous and I like the way all your pictures look on it. The seascape painting looks nice there, I think. The colors pop really well against the gray. Your cookbook shelves are a triumph! I love the way you and John really make the most of your homes, it seems like you take a lot of time figuring out how you want to live and you put the plans into action in a really nice way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the shelves. Really like the yellow jug. Gives it a zing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gillian, it's absolutely lovely, you really have such an amazing eye for interior design. And I LOVE those cookery book shelves, and how beautiful they look arranged by colour. I'd be looking at them and smiling as well if they were mine. The light is fantastic, it will be especially good in the depths of winter when light is precious. Very nicely done, every single detail. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gillian! I am playing catch up on blog reading and commenting, too. I have enjoyed seeing the photos and stories you have shared of your travels, and now love seeing how your kitchen dining area are coming together. Seeing your beautiful gray wall quite makes me want one, but for now I am enjoying seeing how you are making the most of yours. I like it as is, but can imagine the wall hanging being lovely, too. I agree with Jennifer that your cookbook shelves are a triumph! Cheers for John, your Dad's shelf building and your color/ shape arranging. May your holidays continue happily :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the San francisco print too. Can you say where it is from? It makes the room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes of course. It's by The Rifle Paper Co. Mine was a gift but you can buy it here:
      https://teaandkate.co.uk/products/rifle-paper-co-san-francisco-illustrated-print

      Delete
  6. Its all looking so lovely, love the cook books all in colour order! My mums from Mottisfont, i loved all the roses when i visited. Enjoy your hols, cold, wet and snow down under!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking fantastic! I too am loving your little copper hanging pot and your coloured coded books, its the only way to do it you know?!
    bestest
    Ashley xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new dining/living room kitchen looks fantastic Gillian! I love the dark grey and the prints and the sideboard very much. And the bookshelf, well it is just perfect! I wish I could chat with you about our own kitchen-dining room plans, you have such a good idea for practical and gorgeous interior design. I am really insecure when it comes to big decisions... (been moaning a bit over at mine). Have a lovely and happy week xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew it would be lovely as soon as I saw your grey wall and central light but it is even more stunning now it is finished. The book shelves are perfect and you must be really happy in your space. You certainly do have a designer's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so good, I'd think anything would look good against that grey wall, what a fantastic color. I like that your cookbooks are organized by color! The who thing looks like and art installation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful that your new rooms are as you wanted. Love the recipe books "colour graded" in their new shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the book shelves that look so terrific with the books shelved by color. They are fabulous!! and what a Lovely room to enjoy one another in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has all come together so well. After your hard work planning of course. We knocked our dining room and kitchen into one to make a bigger family space. Best thing we ever did. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new room looks great. I love your bookshelf and the colour coordinated books, it looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a gorgeous room! But I feel I need to comment on that other thing first... I have laundry envy. The bottom of the laundry basket can be seen? And the ironing basket, too! Oh my. This looks such a happy family room. The shelves are so colourful and beautifully displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is all totally fab, especially the bespoke shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous.....looks lovely and peaceful....so glad you are now enjoying your new kitchen/dining area!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks fabulous Gillian. So light and bright. I love how you arranged your books in colour order. Who cares if it takes longer to find the one you're looking for. X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks lovely Gillian, I really like the dark grey - your wooden furniture is a great contrast. Love the bookshelves with their colour groups too. Enjoy the rest of the week xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely space. Smart but homely too. Such s great layout for a family too 😃

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely space. Smart but homely too. Such s great layout for a family too 😃

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful! So stylish and homely. The bookshelves are a fantastic shape and I love the way you have arranged the books by colour.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, lovely Gillian and it all looks so bright and cheerful, but sophisticated too. I don't know how you do it. My cookbooks are crammed in a small, old bookcase that must be so old. Think I should do a bit of revamping some time in the near future. You've sparked my imagination. Thank you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love every bit of it, Gillian! Maybe the copper planter not so much, because personally, I'd prefer the corner empty, but it is "you" and suits your home-making style perfectly well.
    The cookery book shelves are GREAT! My Dad made something similar for the attic flat with sloping walls my parents used to live in when they were young. I am talking 1971-72 here, when I was about 3-4 years old. The photos we have from that time show a home I think you'd like, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simple and stylish: absolutely love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Gillian,
    Those shelves though! I would just stand and stare at them too! It all looks gorgeous. And very you.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Serious shelf envy! It looks fabulous and functional which is a win win. I like that you have post its in your cookbooks because we have too! The thing that struck me with the coastal picture as a person looking in is the placement not the colours. It seemed a bit low, or 'dropped' but I think the brave grey walls give a really contemporary feel which is really stylish. For a family like yours who love to cook and eat it must feel amazing. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love love love your cook book shelves 😍 🌈 📚

    ReplyDelete
  29. I thought of you yesterday- I did all my washing, drying and ironing in one day too! Mottisfont is just down the road from me, I walk the dogs on the estate :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh wow - it looks fantastic! What a lovely space, spilling from the kitchen through a family room to the garden. And I love the way you've decorated it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your house has become a stunning home, it really looks lovely. The shelves are so unusual and look great.
    My cookery books sit in author order, like in a library. Perhaps that was a missed job opportunity for me!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is all so fabulous. I still adore that grey, especially the co-ordinating candles, and the bookshelves are perfect. It's lovely having little corners of your home that family have constructed or created! xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have such a great eye Gillian. I love how you've laid out the room and the obvious joy the new space brings to you. Your bookshelves look fantastic. I love to see what other people cook from or gain inspiration from. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.