Monday 29 August 2016

Postcards


Well hello! How are you all? We have returned from a blissful holiday in France and are slowly easing ourselves back into normal life. It is all too tempting to show you Every Single Photo I took while we were away and I will try to spare you that - one chateau does begin to look a lot like another unless you visited them, despite their beauty - but I really want to share some of the best bits of our holiday with you because, my goodness, it really was a good holiday, probably the best one we've ever had as a family.

Here are some postcards, if you will. A lot of these photos were taken on my phone, largely for convenience and practicality. It was often too hot to have a heavy DSLR around your neck. If you follow me on Instagram you'll have already seen a few photos, posted when I could connect to the temperamental WiFi in the bar, so I've tried to choose different ones here.

The holiday began with the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo. Highlights: the epic sunset and harbour views as we left Portsmouth, and the children's excitement. Low points: a really rubbish night's sleep and the children's excitement.


We stayed in the Loire Valley in a campsite near the town of Saumur. My parents were already on the site in their caravan, and my sisters and their families also rented mobile homes on the site while we were there. This is the ideal extended family holiday: everyone suits themselves with the daily practicalities of travel, shopping, cooking, sleeping etc, but we all spent lots of time together. We'd meet up at the pool every afternoon, hang out at each other's mobile homes in the evening. The children would all cycle off to the campsite playground to meet up with their cousins, leaving us free to read and drink wine.... Lots of space, the secret to a happy family holiday. 


Our days fell into a pattern of going out somewhere for the morning before it got too hot, to explore a town or chateau, sometimes stopping for coffee or ice cream.


This area is full of chateaux and we couldn't see them all, hard as I tried. Some are more like our stately homes than what I would call a castle, while others are heavily fortified. Our favourite was Breze, with it's scarily deep moat and underground tunnels.


We'd come home for a long lunch then spend some time relaxing (children do not seem to need to digest their food before running off to swim) before heading to the pool mid afternoon and staying there till maybe 6 pm. Then we would return for showers, start the barbecue, open the wine. We did have a couple of cooler days and on those we would go out all day, take a picnic with us. But the post lunch sit down was my absolute favourite time of day and it was just heaven sitting in the shade, stitching or reading. 


We did a lot of eating and minimal amounts of cooking. Bread, cheese and salad for lunch, barbecue and salad in the evening. Wine. Lots of wine.


I love nothing more than exploring a foreign supermarket, looking at the different products and packaging. Highlights: the amazing selection of fresh, locally grown produce, the range of local wine, the patisserie, frozen macarons. We bought our daily bread in bakeries if we were out and about, or at the campsite shop if not. The bread, oh my goodness, so good. 


Whether you take your own tent or hire a mobile home or cabin, I think campsite life is pretty ideally suited to families. We took our bikes on the back of the car and Bella and Angus cycled all over the campsite whenever they could, and with a freedom that they just wouldn't have at home. They cycled more in ten days then they have in months, and it was wonderful for them and us. We did have a family bike ride around the quiet French lanes, in amongst the sunflowers, but it was extremely hot. 


It's such a pretty region, it's no wonder it's so popular. The old wooden doors, shuttered windows with their boxes filled with geraniums, the wrought iron balconies. I took a lot of photos of doors and windows.


I can't remember when I last felt so incredibly relaxed. deep down to the core relaxed. Part of that comes from having older children who don't need to be watched like hawks at the pool, who can swim and cycle well, read when they're bored, stay up later, sleep in later, and a lot of that is just the simple fact of being on holiday, but it was so good for us to have that family time together without the distractions of school, work, tv, internet.


Well done if you made it to the end. Sorry, lots of photos. I did warn you. ;-)

35 comments:

  1. No apologies necessary! I enjoyed seeing all the photos you shared and tuning into the rhythm of your successful holiday, Gillian. I was pleasantly reminded of our family camp trip to Cape Lookout in July...ahhhh let's go do it all again :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And every single one of those photos is beautiful! Glad you had a great time. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos as soon as I saw the first one thought it was Saumur. We camped along the river when I was just pregnant with our son who is now 16 . We weren't as lucky with the weather as you! I can still remember taking photos of window ledges geraniums and shutters my husband thought I was mad. Thanks for sharing brings back lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos as soon as I saw the first one thought it was Saumur. We camped along the river when I was just pregnant with our son who is now 16 . We weren't as lucky with the weather as you! I can still remember taking photos of window ledges geraniums and shutters my husband thought I was mad. Thanks for sharing brings back lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We Eurocamped all over France when my brother and I were children and I absolutely loved it. Such a different pace of life than that at home. Our final treat was a gigantic bar of Toblerone on the Ferry home - oh such simple pleasures. I still remember the time my Grandad asked for 64 croissants instead of what he wanted (there were 10 of us) and the woman at the campsite nearly had a heart attack!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your holiday sounds absolutely idyllic. The photos are gorgeous - I want to live in that house! I know what you mean about foreign supermarkets - such fun. I hope that relaxed feeling continues into the new term. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look like a most idyll vacation. Such a pretty location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful, Gillian. It looks like the perfect vacation. I loved seeing all of your photos and I totally agree about foreign supermarkets, but I think you already know that. :) I'm just blown away by how much Bella looks like you right now, especially in that full-body shot you have of her. She stands like you, her face is yours, all of it. Pretty girl. Thanks for sharing, I'm so glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely not too many photos for me, Gillian! Looks like a Doors-and-Windows-Lover's paradise :-) (You know I am one!)
    It looks and sounds like a wonderful holiday indeed, and I am sure it will stay with you for a very long time, creating fond memories you will look back to as a family for years to come.
    I agree, lots of space - and one's "own" space to retreat to - is the secret to a good family holiday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you all had a good time. Family holidays really are the best x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds absolutely wonderful. Love the photo of the florist's. I spent a few weeks cycling down through France many years ago, and it's a really delightful area to explore. Glad you had a good time. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photographs... looks like such a sunny, happy holiday. I love the photo of the all important bag of wool in the packed car. And frozen macarons! We camped this year in Dorset and it was the first year P wanted more freedom to roam with his new campsite friends. I found it strange for a while, as I missed him with us! But it did mean more sitting time for reading and crochet. Enjoy these last days of the summer holidays...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just want to download all of the photos and put them on a cycling loop on my computer. We haven't had a holiday this year (money and new office... mostly new office) but I remember doing virtually this holiday when I was a teenager. Long afternoons with books, french patisseries, pool when you could be bothered. I'm glad you feel relaxed to the bone, because you've had pretty much the same effect on me! Thank you so very much. It's been a 2 week holiday crammed into a 30 minute relax on a hectic morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!!! My daughter is on her way to Paris for study abroad...hoping to visit here and see some of this lovely country!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous!!! My daughter is on her way to Paris for study abroad...hoping to visit here and see some of this lovely country!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful and wonderful memories to look back on for all the family. I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mon Dieu, it sounds dreadful; the wine, sunshine, the chateaus, the barbeques, the patisserie, the bread, the relaxing and sewing - my heart goes out to your suffering. ;-) Im green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pictures. Looks like you had a fab time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The photos are lovely. It looks like a great time was had. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutley wonderful! Lovely photos of a lovely holiday - thank you for showing us.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recognised the first photo as Saumur instantly because we used to go there when we were children too. I have been there as an adult as well. You collection of photos sum up the area perfectly. Glad you feel tickety-boo. Love from Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for taking us on vacation too. I enjoyed that and what a lovely way to spend time with 'all' the family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds blissful. What a beautiful part of the world. I haven't been back to France since I lived there during my degree and it makes me want to rush back. I'm with you on foreign supermarkets too - I could browse them for hours. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sounds perfect! Some beautiful photos too. I've never been to France but it looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It sounds like a perfect vacation.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad you had such a lovely family holiday, and enjoyed looking at all the photos. Love those umbrellas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely,lovely,lovely post!xxPenny L

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, sounds and looks absolutely amazing! Glad you had such a great holiday. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, that was just delightful! Quite mouth-watering, in fact. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous photos, I'm intrigued by the brollies. I've been taken back to my own campsite holidays in France, great times X

    ReplyDelete
  31. It all looks and sounds idyllic. Holidaying with family (when you all get on) is a great way to ease the load with children. So glad you had a wonderful time and reached peak relaxememt :-) Sam x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.