Friday 5 August 2016

Mud Flats, Pubs and Castles


I really thought I'd have loads more time for blogging this summer, but so far that's not happening. I will persevere. We've been really busy catching up with friends and this week and it's been lovely.  Old friends from university and from Leeds came down to stay with us and it was so good to see them, to catch up, to eat and drink much too much, to stay up too late.

Some highlights:

:: Langstone Harbour, where the blackberries were flowering and it won't be long before we're picking them.


:: The Bishop's Palace Gardens in Chichester, which were looking sensational in full bloom. 


(I was quite taken with this type of hydreangea, below, which I believe is called  Annabelle.)


:: Emsworth Harbour, for more walks at low tide. Our friends commented on the smell of the mud flats when the tide is out, which is kind of a salty, sulphorous smell. I love it, but apparently not everyone does. 


:: Bosham, again. In the rain this time, but that didn't deter us, and made stopping in the pub for a drink all the more enjoyable.


:: A wet and windy (but also strangely mild) beach walk, followed by an excellent pub lunch.


:: A trip to Hever Castle while staying with my friend Abigail. 


Every summer the kids and I spend a few nights with Abigail and her family while John is working, and I really cherish that time to catch up in an unhurried way. Bella and Angus get on well with her two girls and we get to spend a lot of time talking and laughing. 


Hever is more of a house than a castle (Angus was really disappointed) but the grounds are beautiful and the two mazes - one yew and one water - are wonderful.


It was really good to get home last night though, to unpack and put the house back to normal. A night in front of the tv, just John and I (watching Stranger Things, which is creepy and excellent, and nostalgic too, full of 80's references, I can't recommend it highly enough - is anyone else watching it?) and everyone sleeping where they normally sleep, not on a airbed or in a different room. Today has been spent in a bustle of pre-holiday chores and admin. Bike racks have been chosen and purchased (yawn), holiday insurance sorted and car breakdown cover "upgraded" to include Europe. Honestly, the amount of stuff you have to take with you to drive in France is bewildering. I am writing lists, it's the only way to cope. But all this preparation does add to the feeling of a forthcoming holiday - there are craft projects to choose, books to select - and I'm enjoying the feeling of anticipation. 

22 comments:

  1. Stranger Things is in my queue already! So glad you're enjoying it because I can't wait to watch it. Someone else is much less enthusiastic to start it than I am, so I will have to pass on your effusive recommendation. :) I'm so glad you're having a nice summer so far. I love your photos. I always enjoy seeing where you go, Bosham being a particular favorite of mine from your past visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your summer does look like fun! I am a fan of Annabelle too, sometime I shall find a space to squeeze her into our garden. Have a lovely time in France!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Hydrangea Arborescens Annabelle in my small garden and she is amazing! Reliable, beautiful huge flowers and just gorgeous in every way. (You can tell she's my favourite!)
    Your summer looks lovely.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's never as much time to do things as I imagine in the summer. Lots of list making here too before holidays. And always an insane amount of things to squeeze in, despite the fact that I think I travel light. It's lovely choosing a craft project to take isn't it. Will you be doing another cross stitch? I really loved your Cornwall one. I hope you have a really wonderful time. France is such a beautiful place. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came across your blog when Bosham caught my eye. So love this place and those mud flats when people park and get caught by the tide. It's lovely at any time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are at the other end of the holiday - unpacking and putting the house back in order then we are expecting visitors for a week. Our lives are strangely similar Gillian! have a great holiday. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope you have a lovely holiday. we're only packing to go to Yorkshire and I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed....
    thanks for the strangers things tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you have been the right kind of busy! Great pictures, too, and your mention of mudflats reminded me once more of Rosy Thornton's book "Sandlands" which I have read and reviewed not long ago on my blog.
    I hope all goes well with your holiday in France!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when people visit because you get to appreciate where you live even more. I too love that salty, mud flats smell! Thank you for the recommendation. It's been pretty desperate this summer so I will have to look for that. Enjoy your weekend. B X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello lovely! I'm having a thoroughly enjoyable time catching up with all your summer fun. How exciting to be going to France for the holidays. I hope you have a wonderful time. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello lovely! I'm having a thoroughly enjoyable time catching up with all your summer fun. How exciting to be going to France for the holidays. I hope you have a wonderful time. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That all looks a lot of fun, but you sound as though you'll need a break once the summer is over. Ooh, I love that hydrangea, so thanks for the name of it. Happy list-making, packing and have a wonderful time away. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've just started watching Stranger Things. Loving it already, can't wait to see how it's going to play out. Defo comforting to watch the 80's, I love the Bmx'.
    Have fun in France. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always a joy to see your photos, however often you blog. Hope you have a wonderful holiday, and I'll look forward to more photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're off to France too, i have list upon list of things to take and to do.
    You've visited some lovely places already this holiday and more to come.
    We get that smell of the river where we live, it is an acquired taste but one we've got used to.
    Have a fab time in France!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like you've been very busy in a nice kind of way! My holidays so far have been really busy and I feel like going back to school will be a rest, haha! We have stranger things to watch (not seen any yet) as it looks interesting.

    Hope you have a wonderful time in France!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As I graduated from high school in 1983, I especially enjoyed Strange Things. The soundtrack alone is worth the watch and the story the right amount of scary.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the white hydrangea. I would like to have a load of them in the front garden, like you see in France. lovely. Looks like you have been having a really nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful photos that bring many happy memories - thank you! Have a great holiday in France.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a friend who lives in Emsworth and their garden slopes down to the sea, with just the footpath between. It's a lovely place. Wasn't able to get down there this year but hope to get to her garden party next year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like some fabulous days were had, and some great ones to come too! I remember packing for our road trip to Scotland, with two adults and a dog, and feeling that we would never fit everything in, so goodness knows how you are managing! Hope the lists are ticked off and the holiday is wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just caught up with all your posts. You have been busy. And you've been to one of my most favourite places, Hever Castle! So many special memories of being there with special people. And Mottisfont too, isn't the water in the river just so cool and clear. Rose ice cream you say? Don't mind if I do.
    Hope you are having a fab holiday.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.