Friday 3 June 2016

Starting and Finishing



Thank you so much for all your gardening advice and identification. So then, Crocosmia/Monbretia and possibly Hemerocallis/Day Lillies - I can't wait to see how they look when they flower.  Your knowledge  - and especially the generosity with which you share it - is appreciated. I hadn't thought to net the fruit bushes. Part of me thinks I can't be bothered, but then the thought of making ice cream or curd with the fruit....that does rather change things. I don't know why I didn't think of ice cream as a way to use up the fruit - in fact John was given an ice cream maker for his birthday last year and we only used it a couple of times. Imagine making blackcurrant and liquorice ice cream! Oh yes. There has to be a recipe out there somewhere for that. I'd leaf through my cookery books right now if I could reach them.

Half term has meandered along in a pleasant enough fashion here. The weather has been a bit cool and wet but hasn't really stopped us doing anything. I did have a moment on Tuesday when I thought that I might actually murder everyone in the house if we didn't all just get out and get some fresh air. You know, bickering kids, restless adults, endless requests to go on the ipad/xbox, that feeling of there being loads to do but none of it appealing so you just go and make another cup of tea. We went out and it rained constantly but we all felt a lot better. Well, I certainly did, and no-one was harmed. We've had some nice trips out to HMS Warrior and The D-Day Museum, and lots of treats like lunches out or coffee and cake, but we need to reign it in a bit for the rest of the month, for the sake of our bank balance and my waist line. On Wednesday night John and I went out for dinner to celebrate his birthday, to a quiet country pub, and the meal was really good but my dessert - orange sorbet - was one of the nicest things I've ever eaten. You see, another reason to get out the ice cream maker.

We've been cooking. The kitchen is almost, almost finished. Yesterday the gas hob was connected and we had the luxury of cooking on gas. We made a stir fry and it was so good to smell the garlic, ginger and chilli frying in the oil, and see all the vegetables and spices lined up ready to be cooked. It's still awkward as nothing is to hand and you have to hunt down a saucepan, then open another box to hunt down a wooden spoon, but it's better than before. I don't think I can even bare to look at the microwave oven again, actually, and it may stay in the garage for the time being. The kitchen floor is being laid today which is the last big, messy job. Tomorrow I can clean out the kitchen (it's still all quite dusty) and start putting things back in the cupboards. Everything - the whole house - needs such a good clean. I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

My crafting mojo has returned and I've been spending the evenings working away on various things. I have begun two crocheted projects - a black and white chevron bag for myself, and a longer term project which will be a blanket for Angus, in granny stripes. I really, really want to make myself a bag to carry my yoga mat. I haven't found a pattern I like yet so I might have to do my usual thing of meshing two or three together and trying to make up my own. I also spent a good few hours this morning sorting out all my embroidery threads for a new sampler. Now that tedious job is done I like knowing that the threads and linen are all there, ready and waiting, and I can start the stitching any time.





31 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're cooking again! Yay. I'm really happy for you. I'm glad you had a nice break too. I see your sampler up there...I'm going to make mine this summer too! Sampler twins forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when you said the first thing cooked on your hob was a stir fry! We have had 2 refitted kitchens in the 28 years we have lived here and both times we have had chicken stir fry to bless the hob. 10years ago when our current kitchen was fitted I realised why everyone told us not to buy stainless steel appliances-eek messy. Your kitchen looks splendid and will hopefully be the centre of family life for many years to come. Slainte! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you're looking for a yoga mat bag pattern, simply crochet magazine had one in issue 15, not sure if it's what you had in mind or to your liking but it might help as a starting point. You can purchase the pattern on its own from ravelry, link below
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/yoga-mat-bag-10
    Hope it helps.
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that amazing feeling when you get to cook in a 'normal' kitchen once more. I swear it makes the food taste better. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad to hear you are cooking and making again! looks like a lovely half term holiday xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That beautifully iced birthday cake is so sweet (no pun intended) and I love the black and white chevron crochet - gorgeous. Enjoy your kitchen this weekend Gillian. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited for you!! Isn't it lovely to cook again? I'm just starting the same stitchery. My own crafting mojo has returned and I feel almost overwhelmed with all the things I'd like to make. Slow and steady, one (or two or three or four) at a time, right? Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe the week is nearly over!! And it might be my last half term week ever!
    The monochrome chevrons look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alicia's samplers are gorgeous aren't they. Glad you've had a good half term and that the kitchen is almost finished. What luxury it will be to have everything back in its place. I shall look forward to seeing photos of the finished thing. Wishing you a good weekend. XJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be an amazing feeling to be able to cook a meal from scratch again after a long few weeks without kitchen. The eggs looks very delicious, and your bacon is just as I like it most. What a lovely birthday cake, I bet John was delighted. And lastly, three cheers for the return of your crafting mojo. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, school holidays, but seems you are making the most of it from the above photos with some lovely days out. Happy belated birthday to John. Now blackcurrant and licorice ice cream sounds like an interesting combination!!!!! Hope the rest of the kitchen goes well and you are up and running by next weekend. Look forward to seeing the progress on your latest projects. Have a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurray for nearly finished kitchens; you must be thrilled. Lovely crochet and sampler - I'm glad your crafting mojo has returned. I've never thought of a bag for my yoga mat - now there's an idea ....... xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to know noboday came to harm :-) If your kids get bored during this weekend and start bickering, employ them in the house cleaning... My Mum always used this method (making us do something useful) when we were being like that :-)
    I was wondering what the black and white chevron-striped bit was going to be, and thought of something for your kitchen.
    How good it must have felt to finally be able to cook again!!
    At my sister's, the kitchen is completely empty right now, the new cabinets and appliances will arrive and be installed next week... Hopefully, the walls are dry and ready by then, it has been so wet here that the high humidity in the air has made the drying process unusually long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I said goodbye to our microwave when we had a new kitchen and we have never missed it,
    You must be really pleased to be ale to cook now in your new kitchen,

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a lovely feeling being able to cook from scratch again after all the upheaval. I hope you enjoy many more happy moments in your new kitchen xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. hurray for kitchen progress although spending a weekend cleaning doesn't sound much fun..... xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you have found your crafting mojo, those little perishers seem to have a mind of their own sometime ;) I love the colours of your embroidery flosses there are some nice autumnal tones in there.

    I can wait to see the pics of your finished kitchen, I'm sure you will be looking for excuses to get in there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK ice-cream pal, I shall post up my favourite ones. I can't believe you have a maker already. Looking forward to the kitchen reveal. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. some lovely pictures, and sounds like a happy half term. Hope the floor fitting went well! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cooking's fine, Gillian, but what a great three-masted tall ship! Do you know what it is and where it's docked? I have to write about tall ships for a magazine (deadline 15th) and so I'm learning all I can about them! Why ever did I suggest such a topic? Well, this year is the 60th anniversary of the first tall ships race from Torbay to Lisbon and I'm old enough (only whispering this, you understand!) to remember this as I was taken out on a pleasure boat into Torbay to see the tall ships at anchor before the race (and in case you're wondering I was 12 years old in 1956.)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Margaret,

    It's HMS Warrior at the Dockyards in Portsmouth, it's a really fantastic ship and so fascinating to explore. You can read a little more here:
    http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/site-attractions/attractions/hms-warrior-1860

    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your baked eggs look so delicious! I've been looking at the craft kit offerings at Posie Gets Cozy and I kind of want them all. I think I may choose a Christmas ornament set to start with. If I start it now I just might have it finished by Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Gillian,
    I wrote a comment on your post via my phone ,and it isn't here. Weird. I've been following your kitchen updates on Facebook with very keen interest. I'm getting my kitchen refitted next year, so I'm always on the lookout for inspiration. Can I ask where you bought your flooring from? I think it's lovely. It looks like it will hide a multitude of sins very effectively too ;) I've often found that a stomp in the rain sorts everyone here out quite quickly. Perhaps once back indoors, they appreciate it all the more.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely. I've noticed that a lot of comments aren't coming through to my email inbox for some reason, although they are showing here. Weird. We need to chat kitchens! It is by Kahrs and called Oak Reef, from Flooring Supplies. Here's the link:
      http://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/realwoodflooring/engineeredwoodflooring/16206/kahrs_oak_reef_engineered_wood_flooring

      Delete
    2. Thanking you xx

      Delete
  24. It all sounds perfectly holiday-ish. We have 3 weeks to go and I will being doing exactly such for the whole summer! Bliss! So glad things are gently falling into place. Jealous about the gas stove....my dream...one day!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cooking, crochet and cross stitch - how can we live without them? (Midsummer Sprigs on grey is at the framers and I see Alicia has a new design coming soon!) The dockyards make for a wonderful day out, I love the romance of sail and tall ships and discovering the world. Oh and what a very special birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad your crafting mojo is back in full force. I really love the enthusiasm and energy that you put into life. I think you live quite close to me in the South Downs area as often recognise the places you visit. Thanks for the great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like the look of those baked eggs, and in an enamel dish too- perfect! X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.