Tuesday 7 June 2016

Kitchen Update 5


Hello. How are you this hot and humid Tuesday night? My hay fever has been dreadful today, I have sneezed non stop and my eyes are very itchy, and I feel sure the heat and mugginess are not helping. I don't want to complain about the weather though, I do love it when it's warm.

I think this is my last Kitchen Update post, because after today there won't be much more to show you, other than a lovely "ooh look it's all finished!" post sometime in the future when we've settled into the room a bit more and I've faffed around with pictures on the walls.

The extractor fan was fitted. I like the way it balances out the heaviness of the cooker below, but more importantly I like the job it does, especially when we're cooking things like curry or fish.


Our floor - a type of engineered oak suitable for kitchens - was laid, and what a difference it makes.


I already love it; it's warm underfoot, doesn't show every single crumb and spill, and is easy to clean. Most importantly, it adds warmth to a very stark kitchen and colour scheme.


I spent most of last Saturday putting things back into the cupboards. Despite this being a task I was really looking forward to doing, I found it quite annoying and I had a few moments when I didn't think it would all fit in. Probably because we have So Much Stuff. I told John that actually, yes, we did have too many mugs, something he's always moaned about and I've always denied. (That doesn't mean I'm getting rid of any of them, mind.)


We have about the same amount of cupboard and worktop space as before so I had to think really carefully about what I put where. But I realised I keep a lot of things in the kitchen that I don't need to, like empty jam jars and rarely used baking tins for example, so these now live in the garage in a couple of old kitchen cupboards we hung on the wall in there. 

Our new wall cupboards either side of the cooker hold food and drink, while the drawers below hold pans and baking things on one side, crockery and often used things on the other. I like the drawers very much. Nothing can hide at the back. Everything is easily accessible. 


On the other side of the room we have the sink, dishwasher, fridge, bin and more cupboards which hold things like cups, jugs, glasses, bowls, and there is a generous amount of worktop space here. It's a nice sunny spot for preparing food.


Some of my favourite things about the kitchen are:

:: The deep windowsill.

:: The cooker. I just love it. I haven't baked a cake yet (simply because I haven't had time) but we've cooked and cooked. 


:: The sink, wide and deep and big enough to wash up our biggest Le Crueset pan. 

:: The bin. I know, not very glamorous, but I love the way it has two sections and slides away so neatly. Previously, my recycling hung in a carrier bag on the back of the kitchen door, whereas now it has it's own little bin.


The front part of the bin is for general waste and it's so handy to pull it out, take off the lid and scrape things straight into it. 


:: A fridge at eye-level. When you think how often you open a fridge during a day, how frequently you use it, this already makes such a huge difference.


Mainly I love all the light. I love coming downstairs in the morning and walking into the kitchen, not the dark garage, and opening a window, filling the kettle and switching on the radio. It's amazing. Small pleasures.

There are things still to do, the main one being to tile the splashback behind the cooker. We need to order additional shelves for some of the wall cupboards to better use every inch of space inside them.


 We need to paint the skirting boards and touch up the wall paint around them, choose a blind for the window. Small, fiddly jobs that we hope to tackle this weekend. Then we can move the table, chairs and sideboard from their temporary home in the living room back into the dining area. I can't wait. I've squeezed past that sideboard once too often.

I hope you've enjoyed watching our kitchen take shape over the last few weeks. I've certainly enjoyed sharing this project with you. Thank you for your words of encouragement along the way, and your interest. I hope I'll have lots of cooking and baking to share with you soon. 

28 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. and is a real inspiration of darker coloured walls with the foil of the wood and the white. It looks fab! It looks like the wait was all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely Gillian and sounds like you are certainly going to enjoy. I miss not having some big drawers for bulky casseroles and saucepans, but this kitchen is what it is and we won't be getting a new one. I love your flooring which is similar to my vynil plank one and a pretty blind will make all the difference and maybe add a bit of colour if I know you style. Look forward to hearing about your baking and styling to come. I also put the radio and kettle on as soon a I get up. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! It's terrific, Gillian. I love the flooring. The vent hood looks like it's really efficient, that will be so useful. I don't have one but I wish I did. Eventually, I will probably put a microwave above my stove with a built-in vent. You will love having that trash bin. Mine is almost the same, and it's wonderful to have. It was a selling point when we bought the house, believe it or not. A trash bin system. Hey, we love what we love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic! I hope you enjoy it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful, functional kitchen, I know you're thrilled. Love the flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking great! I was just thinking it's beautiful and so functional then saw the person before had said exactly the same thing. I think you are going to have many happy times cooking on this kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank YOU for having shared this project with us! It was fun to follow its progress here, just like I had much fun sharing my "Big Switch" with my blog readers two months ago :-)
    My fridge is at eye level, too. So practical! I agree, you do have a LOT of stuff, but I suppose that's inevitable when you a) have a family and are not a (mostly) single household like I am, and b) really like cooking and baking and do plenty of it.
    My sister's kitchen has been completely re-done, too; the finishing touches will happen today and tomorrow... She did not have a family to consider, but was very near the end of her tether when the plaster on the walls simply would not dry due to the extremely wet weather we've been heaving, and that put all her carefully arranged plans with painters, electricians and kitchen install people in jeopardy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be absolutely thrilled - your kitchen is gorgeous. So many things to love: the oak floor, the big drawers, rather than just cupboards (a much better use of the space and already on my plan if we ever renew our kitchen!) and your fabulous bin - our bin is a bit like that but only has the one receptacle; our recycling goes into a basket on the worktop and is really annoying! Happy cooking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fantastic, the oak floor is amazing. It was something we looked at but went for slate instead. Amazing how much stuff you have to fit back in isn't it xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beautiful kitchen Gillian. I do like those bins, something I'll keep in mind when we start looking for kitchens later this year. We have far too many mugs, too. Yours look too pretty to get rid of but I could think of a few in my cupboards that should go... have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've enjoyed seeing the progress and it must be so satisfying to have it almost done now and to have everything back in its place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gillian you are a genius - I need a shelf so I can double stack my mugs! Your new kitchen is gorgeous, very yin yang and a kitchen floor that doesn't show the spills and crumbs is a blessing indeed. You've done a great job - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's absolutely lovely Gillian, and I can well imagine how fantastic it is to come down to every day. I really love the idea of putting old kitchen cupboards in the garage to store empty jars and baking things. I was just looking at cordial bottles to buy and thinking, they'd have to be stored in the garage. Love the floor, it's really beautiful. Looking forward to seeing a cake coming out of that amazing oven. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww....it turned out so lovely. I love the slate color in the dining room....awesome color and so neat and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks wonderful and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Even your cupboards look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so polished, put together, and inviting. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous. Well done. You're very brave to show the insides of your kitchen cupboards (and fridge!), regardless of the fact they're newly stacked! Have fun sorting out the dining room. And enjoy your new space. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It all looks fab! So clean and gorgeous! I'm a bit weird in that I love seeing inside people's kitchen cupboards (I know!!!) and I love how organised yours are :-) We've just bought a house and I'm just doing a little makeover on our kitchen for now until we renovate in a couple of years, yours has given me lots of inspiration for when we do our full makeover :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks lovely just reminding me I need to sort out a cupboard in our kitchen! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great, Gillian, I look forward to seeing the finishing touches you add! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so lucky to have done this kitchen! It looks wonderful! I just emptied some of our cabinet clutter today in fact. My husband gets sentimental about things (literally I mean--things, objects). Today he agreed to let me box some plates, mugs, drink shakers, etc. and stow them in the attic. I don't especially want a cluttered attic either, but it's a compromise I can live with.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks amazing, so many great features. I love that you shared an "all out" photo, just to make us all feel better about the amount of stuff we all have in our kitchen cupboards that people never normally see!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new kitchen is lovely and you will enjoy it every time you use it. Here's another little idea for you, in home DYI stores they sell small towel bars that are installed inside the cupboard door under the sink with small screws and are used to hang dish towels. This way they don't have to be hung on oven doors, ets. and keeps the clean, modern look of your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love how you've set everything up! The floor is amazing! Enjoy enjoying your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Following the progress of your kitchen-dining room makeover has been much more satisfying than watching such on HGTV! We much prefer having the fridge on top, too. Our trash recycling set up is spread out across our kitchen and spills out into the bins outside our kitchen door. Your system looks like a wonderful solution we should try. Wishing you happy cooking and cleaning :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never under estimate the bin position in a kitchen it is a deal breaker. I looks really great Gillian can't wait for your final photos. Well done for sticking it out. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just to say your kitchen is gorgeous! And yes, you have rather a lot of mugs! Could you not put some away and then in 6 months time, have a change around and put others away? Of course, you'd have to find somewhere to store them ...
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your new kitchen is looking gorgeous, wishing you lots of happy times in it! X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.