Tuesday 12 April 2016

Old Houses, Spring Flowers and Sheep



It feels good to sit here and think back to the Easter holidays and realise that we did actually do something and go somewhere, it wasn't all building work and spring cleaning. This time last week we visited the wonderful Weald and Downland Open Air Museum in West Sussex with my parents, sister and nieces on a sunny day that was just warm enough to eat a picnic lunch outside, so long as you wore a coat. It's a collection of buildings set in the most beautiful rolling South Downs, a few miles north of Chichester. In the picture below you can just see the impressive buildings of West Dean College on the left and West Dean Gardens on the right, which I visited last year.


Some of these buildings are many hundreds of years old and over the years they have been dismantled and moved, brick by numbered brick, from other locations around the country to their new home where they now sit, Tudor farmhouse next to thatched cottage, water mill next to Victorian schoolhouse, to be preserved and enjoyed. 

By far the best thing about this place though is how approachable and interactive it all is; doors are to be opened, staircases climbed, windows to be leaned out of, chairs sat on, objects handled.


Fires burn in grates and the smell of woodsmoke fills the air. Dogs are allowed everywhere and no-one cares if your boots are muddy. 


My favourite building was Whittaker's Cottages, a pair of Victorian homes for agricultural labourers. Unprepossessing from the outside, the interior was rich in detail and life. The volunteer showed the children how to beat carpets to clean them, and outside were buckets of water, collected from the standpipe at the front of the house. This was an eye opener for us - how much water we use on average a day (literally hundreds of litres in modern households) compared to what would be collected, carried and used "in the olden days". 


The warmth of the small kitchen was very welcome. I was getting quite chilled with walking around and going from one cool, damp house to another and it was a good lesson in how cold  - and how poorly insulated  - houses must have been then.


Upstairs, the clothes air in the sun over the end of the bed, and the hot water bottle takes the chill off the bedding. The children were fasincated by the old fashioned moses basket and cot, by the children's beds and most particularly the lack of toys and books. And of course there was no bathroom. 


And then there are the volunteers, those interesting and knowledgeable people who are passionate about history and don't mind dressing up in Medieval costume or as a Victorian blacksmith, or patiently showing a six year old boy how an arched bridge is built. Always friendly and happy to chat and show you what they are doing or making, they make the place what it is.


It makes it all the more real for a child (and adult!) if you can actually taste the bread and pottage soup made in the Tudor kitchen, or grind the wheat into flour in the mill. It was a good day out for all the kids there - largely because they can run everywhere in the fresh air and there is so much open space - but Angus especially was fascinated by the history. How the houses were built, who lived there, what they did, what they ate, where they slept - so many questions and all answered, and they don't even realise they learnt something because they are having so much fun. 

But I think my favourite part of the day was watching the sheep and lambs, particularly this pair below.







Nice memories to take with me into the new school term.

30 comments:

  1. Lovely memories for me too and one of my favourite places to go with my children. Have you researched the season ticket option? In our day an annual family pass cost the same as about two and a half visits and it was lovely to be able to pop in en route from somewhere else. There was always so much to see and do all year round. My husband's from Chi and we were always bumping into friends and relatives on volunteering duty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love places like this. How interesting to be able to poke around in the rooms and see real, old things people used. I really enjoy doing that, as you know. Thank you for sharing. Those sheep are very sweet, I can see why you enjoyed watching them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a brilliant Easter Holiday! Mine was just busy, not in a good way either! I'm a bit sad that's it's a whole 7 weeks to half term now! You took some lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting there - I first went as a child, and still enjoy it now. My step mum demonstrates spinning there. :) I'm sure Angus would enjoy Amberley museum too. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating place. It reminds me a lot of St Fagans, the Welsh Folk Museumn. So many interesting things to see. Glad you had a good Easter break. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to visit there, looks great.
    Have you been to butser ancient farm? Not too far from you. We went there when we camped nearby last year and enjoyed it. Being a reenactor would be my dream job though, do I love anywhere like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember visiting that museum many moons ago; pre-children in fact. It was brilliant and I can't think why we haven't done a return visit. One for the summer holidays maybe. I love that Angus was so interested in it all. Thank you for the reminder. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful experience. Lovely photos. Would love to visit one day. Bit far from Australia though a but as I said, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice memories indeed, Gillian. Thank you for sharing them. Plymouth Plantation and Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts were not the same as what you have shown me here, but were so very interesting to visit, especially with the period dressed folk who kindly helped me understand another time in life as you experienced, too. xx ps. special thanks for the sheep photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like just my kind of place. I love pottering around historic places but particularly the houses of everyday people. Lovely sheep photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd have loved to visit this place, too! Seeing the living and working conditions of the past (and, in many countries, still the present) always makes me even more grateful than I already am for all the mod cons I enjoy. For most of my childhood and youth, I lived in a house where we had to bring up wood and coal from the cellar to light a fire for hot water in the bath and shower every day. Being able to just turn the shower on every day here in my flat, and having a warm, clean place to live in with a well-stocked fridge and wardrobe - it's pure luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a great place to visit. I used to enjoy visiting similar places with my children when they were younger especially where they can run round without fear of breaking anything. Sadly one is now an adult & the other a mid teen. Ah well happy memories. I enjoyed reading about your day out xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a museum near us where ONE man re-built a whole village! There is an old cinema (still working!), an old tavern, a restaurant, a school, a post office...he even tore down an old church brick by brick and rebuilt it in his outdoor museum! I love this, it's so interesting to see how people lived back then. And it makes you appreciate all those modern comforts that we have nowadays. We can turn the water, heat or light on with an easy switch. We're truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to visit this beautiful place. We live near Tattershall Castle in Lincolnshire, and my kids joined an easter egg hunt there and even did some spinning! They were so proud of the yarn they had both spun, and have them proudly wrapped around a card and on display. I agree that the volunteers are amazing, always so patient and make the whole experience much richer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're probably only 1 1/2 hours max away from this but we haven't been. I love these places; the comparison between what fills our day and what filled theirs seems immense now, even if we look at life only 100 years ago. Looks well worth a visit, lovely photos as always Gillian (love the sheep!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just shows how little you need to stay alive I always think. I love these places there is one near us called Acton Scott used for the BBC Victorian Farm series. I have donated some of my Great- great grandmothers dairy clothes and accessories there in exchange for a free family ticket - I am always the haggling farmer! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely post Gillian! This is just the sort of thing we loved to do with our children when they were young. Middle daughter has just had her first baby so we can look forward to it all again in a few years as grandparents, I can't wait. Your part of the country is one we've never really visited, I can see that we need to put that right and soon, it looks beautiful. Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fab-looking place. My children would have loved this when they were smaller. I do love looking around historical 'real-life' interiors. It's great to have memories and photos of good days out. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is such a fantastic place! Sadly the day we went it poured with rain so we spent a lot of time chatting round a fire in the middle of the floor of one of the buildings. The kids found great amusement in the toilet upstairs in one of the houses that emptied onto the street below!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like an ace place. Did you hear about the explanation at Beamish.They plan to build a 1950s Town, Georgian coaching inn and a replica of a Weardale Farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! It's only up the road from my in-laws, I wonder when it opens? x

      Delete
  22. I LOVE these photos...especially the sheep in the fields :) heartwarming. Greetings from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Gillian,
    What a wonderful place to visit. We have been to similar places, and I just love chatting to the volunteers about life as it was. Like you, I am always struck by how hard life must have been, compared to life now. In the UK at least. There really was no such thing as a pastoral idyll, was there! And I love how Angus was so full of questions; my Sam would have been just the same. What a rich learning experience for him and Bella.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely shots!! Love the mama and lamb...reminds me of spending a few days on a sheep farm near Lancaster in March! Spring is grand!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful picture! I'm sure you all enjoyed it. Irune

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely day out and I've not been there, though have been to Beamish and saw the comment above about a 50's town (oh dear, my era) and hope it isn't too close to the older part and spoil it. The ewe/lamb photos were worth more than any words and I could just see the little tail wiggling away as she drank Mum's milk. Thanks for a lovely post, have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful photographs. Living museums are so vastly informative, that all-sensory experience is such a great way to learn. The photographs of the mother and child reunion is sweet. A mummy is a mummy in any species X

    ReplyDelete
  28. An excellent day out all round. I went there on a school trip when I was at junior school which is a long time ago now and I even now I can remember it being so interesting. It was called Singleton Open Air Museum then.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.