Wednesday 20 April 2016

Kitchen Update 2

Are you ready for lots of photos of bricks and plastered walls? Oh good!

Outside, the old kitchen window and door was removed, bricked up (goodbye upvc!) and the new window fitted. It really bothers the builders that they couldn't get an exact match for the bricks, as they don't make them anymore. I don't really mind, it's the back of the house and I'll just put a trellis there and plant something. 


Inside, it's all going on. Below is the view from the dining room looking into the kitchen, with the beam in place and the supports up...



...the with the supports removed and the steel beam plastered in. 


The two photos below show the freshly plastered kitchen, drying out ready to be painted.




And below we have the opposite view, from the kitchen looking into the dining room.


That massive channel in the middle of the floor is for the radiator pipes.


The dining room radiator was originally positioned on the internal wall and so it had to be moved. We tried to connect it to the one in the living room, but it's not working properly so it needs to be connected to the original pipes which are under the floor. Or something. I don't really understand, I just want a radiator that gets hot not lukewarm at the bottom. Honestly, I can see why people choose underfloor heating.

I feel baffled by the pipe work in our house; this one for hot water, that for gas, and we seem to be uncovering all sorts of odd or old plumbing and wiring that needs to be addressed straight away. Hmm, these must be the unforeseen costs they talk about...


I'm sorry these photos are so dark and grainy - they are snaps, really, taken when I get home from work, and with some of them the kitchen window was still boarded up.

But this is my favourite thing so far: a window sill. 


Before, the kitchen sink went right up to the window (where it was splashed with soapy, limescaly water on an hourly basis) and the cupboard beneath backed right up the the upvc panel below the window. 



Now, the width of the brick wall gives us a lovely deep window sill which I can't wait to faff around with. Pots of herbs. Jugs of flowers. This window sill, in an empty room filled with building stuff and plaster dust, is my glimpse of our new kitchen.


*

I nearly forgot: THANK YOU for such wonderful comments on my blanket! You are so kind. And thanks for the yarn recommendations too - I know that Rowan isn't the cheapest, and I have used Drops before on my poncho and thought it was fantastic. I'd definitely use it again. Thank you. 

24 comments:

  1. Oh dear, mess is what then makes a wonderful renovation, so look forward to seeing the finished product and your faffing on the windowsill. Would love wide sills to dress up, but I just dream. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian! I can't wait to see it all finished and decorated. It is going to look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress; you must be so excited. I can't wait for the final Ta-Dah. Have fun styling that window sill! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it's all coming along very nicely, can't wait to see what you do with the space. Your blanket is amazing by the way, I really must find my hook, the only thing I've had in my hand has been a trowel! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, the dreaded unforeseen costs. Usually expensive and on things that are essential but invisible or dull. Oh well, all part of the fun I guess! Still, progress is being made, can't wait to see more!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unforeseen costs do creep up, I remember them well. We ended up replacing our kitchen ceiling as well as re plastering. All so worth it when completed though xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its lovely seeing progress isn't it! One tip though, if your sink is still going in front of the window I can't stress how much you need something wipeable on the windowsill. We didn't choose a kitchen colour until a year after the kitchen was fitted therefore it took that long before we installed a PVC sill over the painted plaster and it was an absolute nightmare! It got splashed so often and always looked filthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love deep windowsills; they almost (but not quite) make up for not having a mantlepiece in our house! It's whizzing along Gillian, although I'm sure it doesn't feel like it. Thanks for sharing the progress. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's exciting, isn't it! The bricks not matching perfectly are no problem, I guess. As you say, that's the back of the house and you can plant something there. Also, they will weather in time and look a bit more like the older ones in a few years :-)
    Funny how we are both posting make-over pictures right now - with the difference that there is a lot less upheaval involved for me (and probably a lot less money) than for you. I hope everything will work out as you want it, and no more unpleasant surprises crop up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, it's looking good, what great progress so far. I know you will have that kitchen windowsill looking divine. And it looks like a lovely view into the garden and your bench. I look out at my bench as well, and it's a very inviting thing to see. I hope the rest of the makeover goes well, I shall look forward to seeing the next instalment of progress. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, it is exciting. We had our kitchen extension when the girls were 2 and 4! I remember having a picnic on the landing sat on a towel pretending we were on the beach just so that we could have or dinner out of the dust. They recall it fondly as if it was a brilliant day! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness me, was it only last week the wall came down? That is excellent progress. Good luck with the next phase - you are getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow what a transformation already! Going great guns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Happy Days, when you get to the plastering bit, you know it wont be long before dust in your coffee, in your hair, and every where else, will soon be a thing of the past?
    Good luck my friend!!
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  15. IT will be so fun to see it finished, best of luck waiting it out. Not easy as I remember well.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You're really doing it right. We are talking about doing some remodeling and this is a good reminder that it is messy and can uncover all sorts of unknowns. Can't wait to see what you do with this blank space! Tile? Wallpaper? So many possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Renovation is interesting, especially when it involves an older home like ours...part of it was built in 1945! We need to do some pipe updating in our home and wonder what challenges will be faced. Until then I'll be encouraged watching the progress on your home! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking good! You have very clear vision about these housey things. Your new kitchen will be a thing of beauty I am sure. I thought it was really nice before! Have a lovely weekend X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've come late to your kitchen renovation, Gillian ... is there an extension you are building or 'just' cutting through into your dining area, making it one big open plan space? Whatever, I'm sure it will look wonderful when complete.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can always paint the brick that doesn't match, just pick up a color from the old bricks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's always such an upheaval but I'm sure it will amazing once it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Incredibly disruptive and dusty but it will be worth it! I look forward to seeing the next phase :-)
    Your blanket looks absolutely great, those extra few rounds have made all the difference xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Getting there then. I'm sure those window sills will look pretty with jugs and flowers and all the other family bits and pieces which will find a home there in time.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.