Thursday 7 April 2016

Kitchen Update


Work on the kitchen begun in earnest first thing yesterday morning and I thought you might like to see some pictures. They are messy and not very pretty, but working on the premise that the during is as interesting as the before and the after, I thought you'd enjoy seeing them.

On Monday afternoon, while Bella and Angus were at my sister's, my parents helped me empty the kitchen and dining room. It always amazes me the difference a person's things make to a space. Above, you see it full of the colour and clutter of every day life, and below, stark and bare. 



The last thing to go here was the dishwasher, which we'll put back in the new kitchen.


An empty dining room. (Sorry about all the washing flapping about in the garden - Monday was a good drying day.)


Within hours of arriving on Wednesday - bang on the dot of 8.00 am, no more holiday lie-ins around here - they had stripped the tiles and removed the kitchen. Most of the cupboards went into the huge skip which is currently sitting on our drive (curtains twitched when that arrived!) but some we've kept to hang in the garage as extra storage. 


The sink has gone, and today that whole back window and door section was removed to be replaced with brickwork and a new window.


I think the floor tiles you see were probably original to the house. The oven and hob is still hanging off that wall there because there is some gas pipe work in the wall which needs to be dealt with before the wall comes down. Incidentally, we gave that oven a good last meal on Sunday night, cooking roast lamb with all the trimmings and a sticky toffee pudding. 


In the meantime, all our dining room furniture - chairs, table, sideboard - is in the living room. 


It's a bit of a squash but really not too bad, and actually I think the dining table looks lovely in front of the window. 


And our current kitchen is in the garage. It's inconvenient, freezing cold, there isn't room to prepare anything and no hot water so we have to boil the kettle to wash up, but it's more kitchen than many have so I'll stop moaning there. Also, I am very thankful indeed to have a large garage with a sink and an internal door to the hall, so access is really very easy. 


I dreamt we had mice a few nights ago and since then have been obsessively keeping all food in lidded boxes and off the floor. 


Preparing meals is tricky but not insurmountable. Breakfast and lunch are easy enough, it's just hot meals. On Monday evening I had a salad, Tuesday Chinese takeaway (it was our wedding anniversary - we know how to live), Wednesday a meal from the freezer with couscous, and tonight we dined like kings on chicken pie and apple crumble at my mum's. We went to the supermarket today and bought some ready meals - macaroni cheese, fish pie, cottage pie etc - for busy weeknights when we are back at school and work next week. They are so expensive! I honestly had no idea. Our trolley was half as full as normal but we still spent about the same amount. 

So, that's where we are so far. The wall comes down tomorrow and the steel beam is ready and waiting. The people from Building Regulations will come on Monday to check the work and the kitchen will be delivered Wednesday. The room will be plastered and, if my plans work, we hope to have time to paint the kitchen while it's empty before the fitter comes the following week to install it. 

I am spinning plates here. I hope I don't drop one. 

39 comments:

  1. How exciting! I love your home, it always looks stylish, but comfortable and clearly embodies the characters of the lovely people who live there. Can't wait to see how the kitchen redo works out. I honestly would have to have the tea making facilities on the sideboard - I drink so much tea during the day I don't know how I'd cope hiking out to the garage numerous times a day (lazy - moi?)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck - all sounds very exciting! I'm sure it will be worth it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks very different already. I'm sure everything will be fine, but there will be challenges over the next few weeks. Just relax and look forward to the finished product, I know it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gillian,
    I so wish that I had taken before and after pictures of all the work we have had done in this house. I'm definitely going to for our living room re-vamp later this year. Your new kitchen will look spectacular. I'm dying to see what units you are having!!!!!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belatedly, Happy Anniversary, Gillian! I can well imagine you feel like you are spinning plates with work in evidence all around you. You have done a great job organizing for the home improvements, and I agree that your dining table looks lovely by the window. I am keen on watching HGTV programs over here. Thanks for letting me glimpse some of the process of change you are going through. I hope all goes smoothly for you and yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to be getting a new kitchen, lots of trouble to go through, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting despite all the mess & faffing around. Hope it all goes well, you seem to be coping wonderfully well so far xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these 'during' photos; it's all so exciting. Your dining table does look good in the window there. I can't wait to see the transformation. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dining table does indeed look good there in front of the window! You're right, it's not too bad with all the dining room furniture in the living room as well. That's the advantage of not cluttering up one's home too badly in the first place, isn't it :-)
    I love the "before", "during" and "after" to follow on someone's blog, and will do pretty much the same when I'll be starting on my big room-swapping-and-redecorating-project next week. It is not as inconvenient as yours, since it does not involve the kitchen or shower room, but it still means shifting the entire contents of my two biggest rooms while I live and sleep there at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's going to be fabulous! x hang in there x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting, it's going to be amazing, I know it. I remember when we had a loft conversion done and the chaps said they'd be arriving at 8am. I assumed they would be milling around drinking tea and nothing much would happen for a while. Imagine my surprise when the landing ceiling was on the landing floor by 8.10am! I was skipping about in the dust trying to get the children's clothes out of their rooms. I learned something that day. I hope it all goes well and that family and friends take pity on you and feed you regularly. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck with it all - it will of course be well worth it when it's done. You sound very organised and on top of things. And your dining table looks really lovely in that space - I'd be tempted to keep it there and call it a craft/ homework table...

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're currently in the process of picking out or own new kitchen for our new house. It's interesting to follow your own kitchen-adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have photos of the before, during and after when we had our kitchen extension built but mine show chaotic, messy spaces (well, the 'after' is much better!) rather than neat, organised ones. Even your garage kitchen looks neat. I'm sure you'll have moments when you want to walk out and shut the door never to return but it sounds as though it's going to be over fairly quickly and I'm sure it'll come together brilliantly as you have such a good eye. As others have said, hang in there. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you guys are busy, bless trying to get by with the Garage kitchen!, hope it goes smoothly and your back to normal soonx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to see kitchen remodels, but they are not fun to live through, I had my dish drainer on top of my washing machine and washed dishes in my laundry tub, had to position the drainer just so, so it would drain into the tub and not all over the floor. Microwave was in the dining room with the fridge and we grilled out a lot! You will survive and then you will be so excited with your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When we visited London in 2007, we stayed in an apartment and I thought it so interesting that the kitchen was its own room with a door, closed off from the rest of the flat. But I'm American, and most homes here have kitchens open to the dining room/living room. "Open plan" is the norm here and most older homes have been converted to it while the new ones are built that way from the beginning. Is that the look you're going for? What's the vision you have for the space? Excited to see how it turns out! You have such great taste; I'm sure it'll be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It'll be so worth it in the end, that;s what you have to keep saying isn't it?!
    I'm pleased to see the essentials ate out in the garage kitchen, a bottle of washing up liquid and a bottle of wine!! Both indispensable!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting Gillian! Love the touch of Orla on the washing line - it's a good job I'm not your neighbour! Hope it all goes to plan xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. How exciting! The new kitchen will be worth all the pain you're going through now. Have a great weekend. Jane xx PS: Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well there's no turning back now, how exciting for you. It's all going to be lovely very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks as if you are managing all the exciting changes pretty well and hopefully it will be done in no time!! It must be great to have your parents round the corner to help out! One day I want to have an extension done in our house towards the garden but don't want to think of the hassle that it will be.... Have a lovely weekend! Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Keep spinning, it will be worth it! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  24. So exciting! Can't wait to see progress updates, nosey stalker that I am ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. IT is going to be so wonderful when it is all done, looks like you are surviving all of the upheaval for now.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  26. Always a lot of disruption and upheaval during building works but I am sure it will be beautiful in the end. X

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah Gillian, it can be such a disruptive process, but your temporary garage/kitchen looks like at least a part way solution, and I do love the dining table in front of the window. Can't wait to see the progress! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Knowing you, your new kitchen will be stunning. Wishing you a good week with dinner invitations from family and friends. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can't wait to see the finished result. Hope you're surviving the banging and the dust -it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh gosh, I feel for you. We have done this so many times before and have just bought a house that needs similar doing to it (again - suckers for punishment!). I'm sure it will all be worth it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks so lovely and cosy now! Guess you enjoy the making process but it definitely worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just catching up whilst on holiday and hope the kitchen work is going well and you're coping OK. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely indeed to have the dining table in front of the window! Would love to see how your kitchen turns out ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the idea of sending your oven off with a good, last meal! Looking forward to seeing your new rooms - though maybe not as much as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm so terribly behind with blogs and comments at the mo but I just wanted to say good luck with the kitchen and I hope everything goes fairly smoothly. It's never easy while this stuff is going on but it'll be worth it - eventually!!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  36. You brave woman you! You look like you have as best a set up as possible. Heat and serve will just have to do for now. My boys would have thought that part fun! Keep focused on the finish line and you will be able to muddle through just fine...it is going to be so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. How exciting! I can't wait to see the end result. We finally got our kitchen after living without one for over two months. We had to make do with one camping stove and no storage - but we did have hot water. Your temporary kitchen is glamorous in comparison ;-) If I ever get back into blogging I'll have to share some pics! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. I went back and looked at your 'before' photos and loved seeing all the changes that are taking place. I look forward to the finished photos. Must be so exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have been reading your posts regularly. I need to say that you are doing a fantastic job. Please keep up the great work. electric recliners

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.