Thursday 26 November 2015

The Colour Collaborative: November: Wood


One of the things I miss most about our old house is the wooden floors, which ran from the living room through the dining room to the extension at the other end of the house. Laid by John and my father in law while I was pregnant with Bella, they were wide French oak planks, full of burrs and knots which had the most wonderful texture. They gave the downstairs such an open feel and bounced the light around beautifully. (I also miss the abundant natural light in that house, and the internal doors, original to when the house was built in the forties. The doors in our new house are rubbish.)


But I don't know that I ever really noticed the colour of those wooden floorboards, more the way they made the room feel. They were a sort of honey colour, pale but not bleached, more golden, sandy. A very natural colour really, as they only had clear varnish on them in these photos, but they made the room feel so warm, like it was always bathed in sunshine.

This is the flooring in the living room in our new house. It's a laminate floor, dark brown and very smooth and shiny. I find the lack of texture annoying as it shows every single scuff and speck of dust and, when mopped, must be buffed or else horrible water marks are left behind. It is, however, quick and easy to clean (a steam cleaner does the job nicely without water marks) and in good condition, so we have no plans to rip out a perfectly good floor just because it's not quite to our liking. 


But I find the dark colour of the floor quite oppressive. Our charcoal grey sofa and chunky oak coffee table look heavy against it. It needs some light relief, and I think a rug would help a lot here. Something large and pale or perhaps colourful, to balance out all that rich wood-effect flooring. I know the room looks light in these photos, but they were taken on a sunny August day. On a wet, gloomy November afternoon this room needs all the light in can get. 


Do you worry about wood tones matching in a room? I know some people like the dining table to match the chairs, or the coffee table to match the sideboard. Personally, I prefer a little variation - different types of wood, some painted, some not, all mixed up together. 


There is such a lot of wood in our house when I look around, all of it different, none of it matching. Fake wooden flooring, white painted IKEA plywood flat pack, yes. But there are lovely pieces too, like the pine chest of drawers above or the teak 1960s G-Plan dining table, below.


And the walnut rocking horse my father-in-law made for the children. 



Things we treasure. I love wood, love the breadth of tone and depth of colour it offers, from warm pink-red hard woods to walnut which almost has a hint of grey, from caramel oak and pine through to the palest ash. Like house plants and flowers, they bring warmth and a natural quality to a home.

*

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends. I wish you all a peaceful and happy holiday.


*



Don't forget to visit the other Colour Collaborative blogs for more of this month's posts, just click on the links below:

Annie at Annie Cholewa
Sandra at Cherry Heart
Jennifer at Thistlebear
Claire at Above The River
Sarah at Mitenska

What is The Colour Collaborative? 

All creative bloggers make stuff, gather stuff, shape stuff, and share stuff. Mostly they work on their own, but what happens when a group of them work together? Is a creative collaboration greater than the sum of its parts? We think so and we hope you will too. We'll each be offering our own monthly take on a colour related theme, and hoping that in combination our ideas will encourage us, and perhaps you, to think about colour in new ways.

24 comments:

  1. Oh my word, that horse, it's perfect!

    Like you I like my woods all mixed in together, the snag is the mister likes everything to match ...lets just say we've learnt how to live with each other's taste!

    That old floor of yours really was something special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same concern recently - should all the wood in a room be similar? Because if it should, our house is all wrong. To be honest I don't really go in for matchy matchy. We have old pieces, painted pieces and yes, the ubiquitous Ikea stuff (mainly Joe's room).
    Mismatched is characterful and means your house is a home, rather than an imitation of a hotel.
    Your place looks great. Three cheers for eclecticism and not following the herd :)
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of different woods here too. That rocking horse is absolutely wonderful, what a treasure. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't worry about wood matching too much as the variety can be so beautiful and our house is filled with both old, vintage and modern stuff, though just at the moment, I'd like to change a few things. Like you we seem to have bought a much darker house and it's proving rather irksome at times. I'm a bit loathe to show too much of this place on my blog. I think a lovely rug for the living room would be good, especially in winter as it would make it feel more cosy and you could take your slippers off and not be cold in front of the fire. Oh, what a beautiful rocking horse. Hubby made two for our youngest grandaughters, but nothing like that. Very, very clever f-i-l. Have a lovely weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If possible, I have matching wood in one room, but I wouldn't mind a piece of furniture of painted wood in a room full of natural-looking wood. Your pictures are beautiful but I see what you mean about the dark floor, the charcoal settee and the heavy coffee table.
    It was interesting to have your old and new living room to compare; where does each piece go now, and how you have brought it all so wonderfully together then and now.

    In my flat, the best wooden pieces are the ones I inherited from my grandparents: 1930s' living room sideboard and cabinet, and 1960s' coffee table with glass top, steel frame and a long wooden board about 30 cm below the glass. In what used to be Steve's room, all his proper wooden furniture is still there, while my bedroom is all IKEA, pale birch surfaces. My floors, sadly, are beech-coloured laminate - not very nice, but as you say, easy to keep clean. My sister has the nicest modern wooden floor I know - honey-coloured and so soft and warm to the touch you always want to be barefoot on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing here matches; it's mostly second hand finds and hand me downs and I've never been very good at coordinating stuff anyway. Both your homes shown are beautiful - you definitely have a great sense of style. That rocking horse is amazing! Lucky you to have such a talented father-in-law. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my dining room, all the items listed are wooden, and all different. Floor, table, chairs, sideboard, dresser, grandmother clock. All the downstairs floors in my house are the same as your old one, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful rocking horse! I think you're right about a rug - maybe something in natural textures like sisal - having said that I think the room is lovely as it is (especially the sheepskin by the woodburner).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love wood. It's one of the nicest materials ever. I dream of living in a wooden house one day...Love the look of your old house! Especially the floor! And how great is that horse? I would have given anything as a kid to have that. Your father-in-law is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I can see why you miss your beautiful honey-toned wood floor. I've always mixed different wood and like the character and layered effect this approach gives to a room. Matching wood I find a little bland. The rocking horse is beautiful, what a wonderful heirloom made by your talented father in law.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No matching wood here, either. In fact, very little of anything matching. I much prefer the individual, eclectic style of furniture and belongings gathered over time that are loved and used. Gosh, that rocking horse is completely wonderful. What a beautiful thing. Sam x
    PS Your house looks so clean and TIDY! Very easy on the eye :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Gillian for not having visited during so long. I love wood, it brings such a warm touch... This horse is so beautiful! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the rocking horse, it is just so beautiful, what a talented father-in-law! I love wood floors, maybe one day we will have them in our house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that if I worried much about wood tones matching in a room, I'd have a lot of empty rooms. :) We have all different woods in most of the rooms of our house because sometimes furniture has been sort of a catch-as-catch-can enterprise for us. Furniture is expensive! We only have three rooms with new things we picked out ourselves: the living room, our bedroom, and the breakfast nook. Otherwise, it's a jumble of things we liked and things we could afford and things we've found (some of it on the street, even). :) I think your two houses are different but both are very nice. I can see what you mean about the darkness of the new house's floors, but I think a light-colored rug would go a long way. Maybe one of those flokati type rugs in an off-white or gray. That rocking horse is gorgeous. I'm glad you shared a close-up photo of it, the wood grain and the joinery is really wonderful. He is so talented, what a lovely grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this rocking horse is magic! Your father in law is a talented man. I like things mixed up a bit, we have older and newer pieces of furniture, all mean something to us. I think it brings comfort. I am not comfortable in a room that is all matching and coordinated. My favourite wooden thing in our house is my wardrobe from the 1900s.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a mix too. My man likes things to match like my mother in law but I am winning at the moment and all wood colours it is!! That rocking horse is amazing, what a treasure! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm blown away by the rocking horse, what a talented man your father-in-law is, it's absolutely beautiful. We have quite a lot of wood and it's all a bit of a mix too, I've never really been into the perfectly matching thing - I find matching duvets and curtains quite scary :o) Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your Happy Thanksgiving greetings, Gillian. We had a wonderful celebration with new baby Sarah in our household. It is fascinating to consider the woods used in our homes and how the tones and surfaces of those woods affect us. Most of our home has light laminate flooring which while not my choice I still appreciate for the light it brings to our rooms and the ease of cleaning it provides, especially compared to the wall to wall carpet in several of our rooms. I have a fair amount of IKEA woods around me and one treasured handmade and carved by a grandpa mahogany cedar lined chest....a mix of colors and grains and stories that may not all be to my liking and yet all surround me in homey fashion, as you noted so well. Thanks for letting me see some of the woods around you in your homes and your thoughts about them...and letting me admire your magnificent wooden steed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. That rocking horse is sensational - very beautiful! I have seen similar that cost a fortune... :)

    Our house is a bit special and was basically stripped inside in the late 80s, leaving only the old beams on the ceilings. These are a rich mahogany colour from age, with no shiny finishes or paint. The floors, kitchen, doors and open staircase that were put in are lovely light oak, popular in England now for furniture but not at all here in Switzerland... As the house is not very big, I wanted to keep a sense of fluidity and repeat elements to keep it harmonious (it has a beautiful atmosphere) so I opted to look for light oak furniture, which proved quite difficult. Ikea does not have as much oak-finish on offer as in England but I found a lovely proper wood table that has aged well (9 years) and a simple veneered sideboard, later another small chest of drawers elsewhere (meantime we would have more options), so yes, I chose to go with mostly matchy. In other rooms, I went with plain white as a neutral and have found that bamboo sometimes harmonises well, too. There are a couple of things in woven/rush look for texture, both leather and upholstered furniture, but on the whole, I'm very pleased. My floors do not stay shiny because of the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do so love the feeling of wood and the natural mis match of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a huge fan of real wood, and were it not for the cold draughts would have wooden floors everywhere. We have a real mix in all our rooms, oak, walnut, teak and beech, stained, varnished or waxed finishes all appeal and jumble together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My husband would have loved to have made a rocking horse for our grandchildren, he bought the plans but never got round to making it which was such a shame. Your rocking is amazing and something your children will always treasure.
    In the past I would always have to have everything matching, but we're in the throws of decorating, floor changing and some furniture changing. This time, it will not all match and I'm hoping I can go with the flow and welcome the changes. Fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Gillian,
    Marc laid the floors in our living room and conservatory when Alfie was a baby. It nearly drove him to drink! I love it though. It could do with a sand, but the scuff and dents are all part of our life here. By contrast, we have laminate effect tiles in the kitchen; I hate it. It shows every speck of dust. Hopefully next year when the kitchen is replaced, I will have natural stone or slate.
    Lovely post.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. That horse is amazing! I have a mosh mash of woods too and I prefer it that way. I do like the older pieces with a few knocks and bangs though, I like their character. I think you're right a rug in there would be just perfect to lift the room a little and stop the darker colour being too heavy.

    S x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.