Thursday 19 November 2015

A Rug for a Bedroom


Back in September I showed you some rugs I'd crocheted in very chunky t-shirt/rag yarn and I had decided then and there that I wanted to make one for our bedroom - partly to break up the large expanse of cream flooring, and partly to disguise the poor condition of the carpets we inherited with this house. We plan to replace them eventually but, for now, rugs are my solution. 

I bought some yarn in gentle colours which I hoped would tone with our bedroom without being too matchy-matchy. I like to be able to move things around to different parts of the house all the time without worrying about whether something "goes". 


I have to say that I do really love working with this stuff. Projects work up incredibly quickly and have a structure that is so different to my usual crochet; more weighty, more substantial. It's a lot of fun, and the make-up of the stitches is so distinct. It can be hard on the fingers or wrists after a while, and I wouldn't want to crochet all day with this thickness of yarn, but for an hour at a time (if I'm lucky!) it's fine. Also, the rugs have a delicious squishiness to them underfoot - almost a bounce - and they feel wonderful when you step out of bed barefoot onto one. 


I like the effect of the colours very much. The greys were chosen for their neutrality and the navy blue to reflect the blue drawer handles and wall behind our bed, but I didn't think I'd love the peach so much. It brings some warmth and a little femininity to the finished project. 


I used Boodles (from Hobbycraft) again, more for convenience than any attachment to that brand. I find the thickness of Boodles yarn very inconsistent but I don't think that this necesarily affects the overall outcome of a circular project, so long as you start and finish a round with the same ball. You're not going to get a perfect circle, and the size of this project makes it impossible to block with pins, so I didn't bother and have found that these rugs seem to flatten down and even themselves out with time. 


I used most of my six balls with small amounts of each colour left over, and I want to try making some bowls or baskets with the remaining yarn.  The pattern is the Medium Lace Rug from my much-used Modern Crochet, but with a colour variation that I made up as I went along. It measures 90 cm across and I used a 10 mm hook. 



Thank you for your comments on my last post. I really enjoyed your advice on how to survive - even enjoy - an endlessly wet, grey November. Getting cosy, fires, candles, cake, crafting - all good stuff. And you are all right, we need this time to pause and gather strength before the inevitable craziness of December sets in. And it will, it always does. 

It's still raining here. Oh, if only you could've seen me run this morning to grab my camera, as the light levels briefly changed from Awful to Moderate, before reverting to Awful again. Not great photos here today, sorry, but if I wait for a sunny day then..well, see you next spring! Apparently the weather is going to turn cold this weekend, and I welcome it. I was supposed to be going to London with Bella and Angus to meet up with a friend from Leeds and her son, but it's been postponed as she's unwell. I'm disappointed not to be going but at the same time thrilled with the prospect of a bonus day, a day to spend safe at home with the children and perhaps some pottering and maybe even a little festive crafting. 

24 comments:

  1. The rug is so pretty, Gillian, and practical! Thanks for sharing how you made it. I have never used that type of yarn before, and can imagine that it tired your hands to work with it, but it looks wonderfully soft and bouncy. My mom made some braided rugs out of strips of wool and they wore well, but your rug looks like it could be machine washed which could be an advantage [at least in my household :) ] Happy weekend to you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the peach and blues. Have a super relaxing weekend Gilian xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rug is beautiful; such gorgeous colours. It goes fabulously with your bedroom decor and certainly looks as if it would be very comfy on the toes. I remember seeing the yarn at Hobbycraft last time I went and wondering what it could be used for. Sadly,there isn't one that near to us, so I'll have to be content admiring your projects. That will be no hardship! Enjoy your bonus day this weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really good! I love great expanses of floor without anything on them, but I understand the want to cover those bits that are in less than perfect condition. Also, the thought of stepping on such a rug first thing in the morning when getting out of bed sounds nice.
    A bonus day at home instead of going into busy-chaotic-noisy-hectic London - great! :-)
    It has finally started to rain here, too... We really, really needed it, woods and fields and gardens have been way too dry all autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it and had never thought of crocheting a round rug for the floor. I've seen rectangular ones, but this I really like and the colours are so pretty. Although it's nearly summer here and we had over 30 yesterday, I do believe Sunday is supposed to be only 16, but we'll see and this afternoon we had lashings of rain which we desparately needed so weather is just so "unpredictable". Have a lovely weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks brilliant another addition to your new home, well done you. I just sort of accept grey photos at this time of year it's fine, your photos today are superb. Enjoy your weekend, with a little snow we might get some light bouncing around!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! The colours are lovely. I am still soldiering on with the pouffe I started crocheting from t-shirt yarn ages ago, but it hurts my wrists and I feel like I've had a workout each time! My husband has started to gently suggest that we should just buy another pouffe as he misses putting his feet up each evening. Must man up and get it finished! Feeling inspired and motivated by your rug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rug is a triumph, it really is incredibly effective. A friend of mine is knitting a rug using seven strands of hard-wearing wool, which is really hard going. It's looking lovely, but I think it would be much easier with the yarn you've used. A shame about your weekend plans being postponed, but I hope you have a good time anyway. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a gorgeous rug Gillian. I love how the colours work without matching in an obvious way. I bet it feels lovely underfoot. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful rug Gillian - straight out of Garnet Hill (that is a compliment - I love their rugs), but so much better because it is handmade! It is a beautiful pattern and looks lovely in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go! The colours work so very well together! The pattern is fab and the rug lies flat! A chore when rug making:) your creativity is endless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this so much Jennifer, the colours are just beautiful, so soft and the peach just lifts it a little! I have persuaded Hubby to turn out his work t-shirts (he had over fifty!!) and managed to aquire 26 to cut up for t-shirt yarn for projects in the new year all being well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The rug looks perfect in your room. I agree with you about colour. I always stick to a tried and trusted colour palette in my house, mostly soft yellows, all shades of pink from palest to crimson including peach and mauve, greeny blues and yellowy greens set against off-white, grey, mushroom and palest blue-grey. Interestingly none of these colours are those I wear! I love how confident you are with colour Gillian. One of my flatmates 30 years ago used to work at the Royal Opera House and treated our rented flat almost as a stage set. She was not afraid of colour and l learnt from her what a transformation colour can make. I could never have a tasteful all-beige home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really lovely Gillian(and the photos are fine!). Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it, it is just perfect for that spot.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous rug Gillian! Just your style and colours too! It is perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous, I love the idea of rug making, it is so traditional. I've a soft spot for rag rugs too. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab Gillian, colours are great together :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely Gillian, I like the colours. I'd really like to have a go at this - may be after Christmas. Shame the weekend hasn't turned out as you planned but have a good one anyway. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Gillian,
    Ooh you clever thing. Gorgeous of course. I like to have things that I can move around the house. I frequently do, and Marc gets very perplexed!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your rug is absolutely stunning. I know what you mean about the yarn squishiness it really does feel nice under your feet .you have used such pretty colours .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgous,your very clever ,was it heavy to hold while you were crocheting ? x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great rug!!! I think I might "steal" your idea and make one for the bedroom too! We have a wooden floor and it tends to be rather cold in the mornings, so a lovely rug would be a good idea (plus I have spare t-shirt yarn).

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your new rug is brilliant. I love the colours you've used. I made one similar a few years ago using yarn made from tartan fabric made into strips. Very like the t-shirt yarn but even thicker. I used a 20mm hook for mine. It's also very squishy and I really love it. Hard on the wrists to work at for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.