Sunday 29 November 2015

Make, Bake, Sew, Grow


{ Make }

I've been making the mantel a little more festive with the addition of some battery powered fairy lights.


How did I not know about these? They're brilliant! No wires trailing everywhere...I hid the battery in the yellow tea pot.

I'm pretty bored with the mantel arrangement to be honest. I'm looking forward to festooning this slab of oak with every single Christmas decoration we own in a couple of weeks. 

In the mean time, this rather beautiful bare branched tree is lovely. I found it hidden away a few weeks ago in a drawer. I might hang some mini baubles on it if I can find some.


I have made two rather fabulous additions to my bowl and cookery book collection, neither of which are small and both of which always need to be added to. We spent this weekend with my (oldest and best) friend Abigail and she gave me this incredibly lovely Ken Eardley bowl and a new cookery book Life is Sweet as late housewarming gifts. 



I haven't cooked from it yet but I have two other Hummingbird Bakery books and they're very good and well used, so I'm keen to try something from this. The recipes for Oatmeal Spice Cake, Lemon Chiffon Pie and Cornmeal Cookies all need my urgent attention.

{ Bake }

In preparation for this Deep-South themed baking onslaught I have purchased tinned pumpkin and molasses. I'd thought molasses was like treacle and was surprised to find it's just like darker, stickier demerara sugar. I didn't know where I'd get these two items either, as they're not exactly widely used in the UK, but I should've known: Waitrose.


The novelty of having a branch a ten minute walk away hasn't worn off yet. I have an urge to make Pumpkin Pancakes, just to see what they're like. 


My other new obsession is Chai Latte hot drinks. I love this stuff. (On a side note - the December issue of The Simple Things is a bit good! It's the first issue I've bought in about a year and I'm enjoying it.)


Sugary drinks and baking aside, this Chickpea and Preserved Lemon Stew from A Modern Way to Eat was outstanding. Definitely one to make again -  quick, easy and cheap too, using store cupboard ingredients. Apart from the preserved lemons that is. Again, thank you Waitrose.



{ Sew }



It's all about the crochet lately. I don't know why, but I'm enjoying it and I like the results so who cares. I'm steadily increasing the border on my blanket and it's a little repetitive, but a nice project for those evenings when I just want mindless crochet.


I'm also making Bella and Angus a toy each from this book. This is my first attempt at amigurumi-style crochet and so far so good, although the constant counting does get a bit boring sometimes. This headless creation will soon be a polar bear for Bella 


{ Grow }

The only times I've been in the garden lately are to put something in the bin or chuck ash on the compost heap. There's nothing going on out there. But we do have a holly tree and a lot of fir trees, so in a couple of weeks I plan to drag some of that inside and attempt to do something creative with it all. 


There ends my round up of what's going on. Life is hectic. People keep asking me if I'm "ready for Christmas". I'm not, and the amount of stuff on the calendar over the next three weeks isn't helping with that, but that's the way it is at this time of year and I wouldn't really have it any other way. 




{ Make } Something for the home.

{ Bake } Something from the kitchen.

{ Sew } Something crafty.

{ Grow } Something in the garden.


36 comments:

  1. The blanket is looking really good. I think it was a great idea to make it bigger by adding to the border. It will be very dramatic-looking too, like a deep frame. I like amigurumi crochet but I find I need to use stitch markers as I go around and around, or else I'll never get the right stitch counts. You can even just tie a piece of yarn around the first stitch to mark your place. Your mantle looks lovely and I can't wait to see what you do to it for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molasses is often purchased as a thick, sticky liquid, so you were correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the deep south, Georgia, and I've never seen molasses in a box, as a sugar. It's a syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paperchase have some mini glass baubles 20 for £4 I think, loving your mantel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is molasses sugar, which is similar to muscovado sugar. Both are dark and rich - with a high content of molasses. Molasses is what you thought it was, a very rich dark syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't those battery-powered Christmas lights brilliant? I've just purchased a small table-top real Christmas tree and it came complete with those lights! Now I'm crocheting small hearts to make the tree look festive!
    That chickpea stew sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, molasses meant the same as for you. But I read it comes in both forms - granular like other types of sugar, or similar to treacle. I've never used it myself.
    Looking forward to seeing the face of Bella's polar bear, and finding out what animal you'll be making for Angus!
    Lovely to have your best friend visiting. Her presents are great!
    The mini tree on the mantel is beautiful. You could put earrings and rings on its branches to make it look festive. My few decorative items are up since Saturday evening, ready for the 1st Advent Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your decorations and I feel the same way about how crazy and hectic life gets, but the great thing is that we still find time to enjoy every second with our families. Hoping you had a wonderful thanksgiving. With your family and Christmas will get here very quickly. Your house is looking fantastic 🎄🎅

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love your mantel and look forward to seeing what you do for Xmas. I think I have a Hummingbird Bakery book, but not sure I've used it. Pumpkin in tins! That's a new one on me. I've never tried Chai Latte, so if you can recommend it mabe I'll give it a go. Love your crochet rug and sometimes mindless stitching is what you need of a night. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm that recipe sounds good. sadly my nearest waitrose is about 50 miles.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could always make your own decorations for your little tree if you can't find the right thing in the shops. thanks fro the head up that Waitrose sell tinned pumpkin puree I love pumpkin pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of lovely delicious inspiration here. It's so much fun popping in to see what you are up to. The blanket is going to look so dramatic and opulent when the new border is finished. Well done for taking it to this next level.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me know when you make the lemon chiffon pie, I'll be round for a large slice. Chai Latte sounds delicious as well, and I like your mug, the short fat shape of it is so very satisfying. Waitrose is a very wonderful place isn't it, lucky you having one ten minutes away. I know what you mean about the madness of those last few weeks before Christmas. But as you say, it's part of the fun. It wouldn't be Christmas if we hadn't all be whipped up into a complete frenzy beforehand. If I do 800 stitches a day I might just finish the littlest boy's blanket for Christmas Eve. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chai latte is very nice but that variety is very sweet. Tassimo used to do one for the coffee maker which was delicious but its not in the supermarkets any more. Although it may be in Waitrose??
    I did an amigurumi once and that was quite enough thank you. I found it incredibly boring. My husband requested a minion and I have had to tell him its never going to happen....ever. Having said that I do think they make gorgeous little toys and that book has some of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love my Edward's Menagerie book. I have just finished another bunny. I have yet to try the other animals but would love to make them all :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't that weird - I thought molasses was treacly too! E also loves the chai latte drink but likes to make it half and half with milk. Thank you for the chick pea and preserved lemon recommendation; I have that book, so might put it on next week's menu. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love Chaï Latte and I make them with either spelt or oat milk... They are so delicious!!!
    I have made our Advent "wreath", which is absolutely not a wreath and prepared the Advent calendar over the weekend...
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes I love a chai latte, I buy the spiced teabags and add hot frothed milk as I don't like it sweet. I made it iced with coconut milk in the summer so might try it warm with coconut too.

    I love your bare branched tree, itching to get the christmas decorations out and go with my usual more is more look!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to have a Waitrose five minutes away and it's one of the things I do miss about living here (the nearest is now 30 mins away) but I do spend a lot less! Lovely photos and news of what you've been up to. I have some battery-operated twinkly lights too - they're brilliant. Your friend has exceedingly good taste - that bowl is beautiful. And your blanket is going to be gorgeous. Too many superlatives here probably but hey ho! Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Edward's Menagerie - I have the first book and the new birds book on my Christmas wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband and big daughter drink gallons of Chai Latte, we should probably look at buying into the company as we must provide most of the profits! ;) I love the Edward's Menagerie animals, I admired them all at Yarndale but couldn't decide which I liked the best so haven't made any. One day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Gillian,
    I bought some battery operated fairy lights for the conservatory this weekend. Aren't they fab?! As is your crafty makes, and wonderful gifts. What a lovely friend Abigail is.
    I hope you are well, Gillian. You seem up against it. Take care, my lovely.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd say it is a wonderful round up, sounds like you are very happy and very busy. Have a wonderful week,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a lovely post. I have been catching up with your blog I love your Wood post. I do love the series you are involved in .You all write such interesting stuff always interesting to find out everyone's ideas for a word. Have a lovely week

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the cup in this post. Please can you tell me where you got it from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - sorry I am only now getting around to replying to this, it was very hectic in December! It's by the French company Mr & Mrs Clynk. I bought it in the gift shop in Yorkshire Sculpture park a while ago but they are available online.

      Gillian

      Delete
  26. Love the shape of the polar bears tummy, looks like he's been indulging in a few pumpkin pancakes too!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the little lights along the mantel - so pretty! I so need to get some more fairy lights around here.
    Happy December Gillian. And I don't feel at all ready yet either. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your blanket looks really good & your crochet animal too. I've yet to crochet anything other than a blanket so I really need to push myself. A lovely round up xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was a lovely read this morning with my belated coffee. You seem to be planning on making some very nice things. Me, well I'm in the process of ruthlessly clearing out a spare bedroom wardrobe but now I'm thinking I'd much rather be baking along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So much to like in this post. I'm a little bit in love with that polar bear, sans tête though he may be (polar bears speak French, right?).

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the plate on the mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes to battery operated fairy lights. Your post is a lovely collection of happenings. Life may be hectic but you are able to enjoy the small joys in between, what a gift this is! x

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A beautiful post, I love your mantle piece and look forward to seeing the polar bear! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. chai latte - welcme to my world, so sweeeet. Little baubles? Paperchase, as previously mentioned, I think. I bought them a few years ago (pictured in close up on my twigs here: http://childhooduninterrupted.blogspot.co.uk/) they are lovely colours and I haven't yet (touch wood) broken any. Have a cool yule.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.