Friday 14 August 2015

Sun and Cloud, In and Out


Oh, you lot are so lovely! Thank you so much for your generous comments and for your votes, I really appreciate it.

We continue to meander our way through the school holidays in a generally happy fashion. I am always cheered (maybe that's not the right word - bolstered? encouraged?) to read that other blogging and Instagram friends have their parenting peaks and troughs as I do, that it's not just me shouting and exasperated. But generally it's been a good couple of weeks and our days, spent at home and out and about, manage to retain a slow, relaxed pace. Last Friday I met some friends down in Southsea for the morning with our children. Southsea is a fun, buzzy, slightly touristy area and just the kind of place you want to be on a sunny day. The sea was so calm and the air really still and warm. Beautiful. As I drove down there I had a little moment of excitement and I thought "we really do live by the sea now!" I sometimes forget, despite the incessant squawking of the seagulls.



The weather continued to cooperate all weekend thank goodness, and on Sunday afternoon we hosted a family barbecue to celebrate my parents' ruby wedding anniversary. We are so at the mercy of the weather in this country, and it's a blessing when it works out how you hoped, and it was a lovely, carefree, easy afternoon with lots of delicious food and noisy children running around the house and garden. A while ago, remembering one I had from my childhood, I bought the kids a space hopper. Do you remember them? For some reason they love to use it on the trampoline - for double bounce action, I guess - or else they play a game where they hit each other with it really hard then do an exaggerated fall and roll, while laughing so hard they can barely stand. I like to watch them. I also noticed the children in their school using a LoLo ball recently. I used to love my LoLo ball so much! I must've been about Bella's age when I had mine and I was so good on it, I could bounce everywhere. My pelvic floor and vertigo mean I tend to give all bouncy things a miss these days, but hey ho, it's nice to watch the children having fun.


John and I had a night away in a hotel on Monday. A whole 24 hours without responsibility, space hoppers or children! I feared I might have built it up too much in my head but it was just as I'd hoped. 


We stayed on the banks of the Thames and it was very pretty, despite the constant drizzle and white skies.

At home, I've been busy with the paintbrush. My parents were getting rid of this garden bench and, scrounger that I am, I kindly offered to take it off their hands. I'm helpful like that.


A few hours of sanding, priming and painting later we have this beauty. John muttered about the bright pink metal work but I think it's fabulous and a big improvement.


I had a really lovely morning shopping with Bella a couple of days ago. When did this happen, that my daughter and I would do these things together? We had lunch out and everything. She's good at shopping, no surprise there. I found really nice skirt on the Cath Kidston sale and decided to splurge and buy it. Even half price (£80 reduced to £40) I thought it was pretty expensive, but I'm glad I bought it.


It will be good for work and in the summer I can wear it with a t-shirt and sandals, and I think the darker colours would make it wearable for winter too, with some tights and a cardigan maybe. But look at those ric rac stripes! So pleasingly wiggly!



I also treated myself to a new cookery book, A Modern Way to Eat. I've been dithering over this one for months but when I stayed with my friend Abigail recently I pretty much read her copy cover to cover and decided to just buy my own. 


I've been reading it in bed (armed with a pad of post it notes, as is my habit) and I think that this book might be a really good investment. Although all I've baked from it is cake so far. Today I made the Super Raw Brownies above (not really like brownies, more of a refrigerator cake but very good) and the Salted Caramel Brownies below (like real brownies and pretty amazing too.)


As well as the brownies, I also baked Abigail's Tea Loaf and a batch of biscotti.



I know, that's a lot of cake for one day, but there are two reasons. One, it rained (and thundered) solidly for most of the day and baking is how I help shift the inevitable low mood which bad weather so often brings me, and two, we are about to go on holiday and we must have cake. With John's parents, we'll be staying in Derbyshire for a week, near Matlock. I've bought new magazines, borrowed books, chosen my crochet and embroidery projects...I am ready! Please let it not rain every day...

Has anyone else noticed that it suddenly seems to get dark so much earlier? Angus commented on it tonight and Bella asked earlier if autumn was "nearly coming". Despite the deliberate slowness and pottering-like nature, of our days, I can't help but notice that we are slowly and inexorably moving from mid to late summer. Apples are on the trees, blackberries are in the bushes, and it's dark by 8.30 pm now. It doesn't matter that I'm still in full summer holiday mode, whether I like it or not autumn isn't that far off.

46 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this post. What a good way to dispel the gloom that comes with grey/bad weather! I have to keep it in mind, since the weather does affect my mood as well, and there have been a lot of grey days for us this summer. Now the days are noticeably shortening here, and there is a distinct autumnal feeling in the air, it may be a good idea to get the cookery books out. Maybe it also helps keeping the children happy for the remaining weeks of their summer break?! I hope you'll have a lovely break in Derbyshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it went dark on me at the allotment last night. A month ago it seemed I was there until after 10 o'clock, now it's nearer 9.20pm. You've made a lovely job of that bench, the pink is brilliant. And the rule is of course, She Who Paints The Bench Chooses The Colour.

    You've reminded me how much I used to love my space hopper. I used to bounce up and down the hall on it for hours. Good to hear you like that cookery book, it's in my Amazon wishlist (item number 402 or something like that I think...), I saw it a while ago and thought it looked brill. I hope you have a wonderful holiday, Derbyshire is absolutely beautiful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bench makeover - I bet your parents will be regretting getting rid of it now! I haven't seen that veggie cookery book before - I'll have to keep an eye open for it. It's pouring down here at the moment, so I think I'll take a leaf out of your book and do a bit of baking. Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post! Yes, autumn not far away, we have walnuts on our tree ... but the rest of the plants have been a wash out this year, not enough attention from us combined with a compost which I'm sure was iffy. Yes, I know, a bad workman blames his tools!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gillian,
    It seems as if you are having a great summer holiday. I have hidden the space hopper. It was involved in son very energetic fighting between Alf and Olly, and things got broken. Have a super holiday, my friend.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fabulous bench makeover! All that delicious baking is making me hungry! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the bench! It looks so vibrant, too bad we don't have a garden or I'd paint my own. Those cakes look very good, eating cake and having some hot chocolate is essential when it is raining in summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that skirt on the CK website a few weeks ago and thought it was really pretty. My kids have what we call "hop balls" and they love them. They can only use them in the house, though. There are too many thorns and these seed pods called goat heads outside; the balls would be popped in minutes. We have a good track through the kitchen, living room and dining rooms so they go around and around on that. I hope you have a very good trip and time away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bench makeover too Gillian, and the cake, can never have to much cake especially home made,
    I've said this week how the nights are drawing in, doesn't seem five minutes since we were saying "it's still light at 10pm" .I truly love Autumn but am still in Summer mode too, Enjoy your time away
    Best Wishes
    Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I adore your bench! It looks fabulous and you will lie every time you look at it. All your baking looks yummy too. Hope you have a great holiday...the holidays are almost over here and schools return next week.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your bench is just fabulous. I'd never have thought of pink but it works. I love it!. I've never had salted caramel brownies before. I love salted caramel and the brownies must taste amazing. Will look up this recipe soon. Where are you staying in Derbyshire? We stopped in Matlock on our way home from camping last week. The park is great for young kids and there some vintage shops if you fancy shopping. Hope you have a lovely time and fingers crossed it won't rain all week! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, we have that Miss Print bed linen too. It was a Mother's Day treat. I love the colour and print. X

      Delete
  12. Love the skirt, nice job on the garden bench and those sweet treats look extremely delicious (no need for any explanation, just bake away). Yes, the nights do seem to be drawing in. Or as my dad used to say, it's getting late early.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOve your new skirt! I, too, love the wobbliness of the zigs. You can def. wear it in the winter- colourful turtleneck or navy cardi with neutral or coloured tights! Cute!! Forget what John says - the pink bench is great! My 9 year old daughter gives it a thumbs up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a pretty good week! I could recommend some lovely walks near Matlock but perhaps best to give 'Giddy Edge' a miss, with the vertigo! That new skirt is fab and I hate pink but still think the bench looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are in hurricane season right now on the Island and it has been raining everyday. How strange - when it rains I have this sudden urge to bake as well. To fill the house with good smells and sweet treats. Those caramel brownies look yummy! I am so glad that you and your mister got out for your own. It is so needed! Lovely addition to your skirt collection! And yes, how wonderful to be able to shop and have lunch dates with your daughter! Enjoy your day! Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have just voted for you... I love your green lamp from your previous post, I think it really suits your overal deco and colour palette. Those cakes/brownies look yum! Have a lovely and relaxing holiday! Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The weather is so hideous right now, much as I adore autumn and everything it signals I am not yet ready to give up summer.

    Those caramel brownies look much more the ticket than the raw ones ;) Have a fabulous break in the Peak District - its nearly as beautiful as Yorkshire x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It really does feel like autumn, I saw a tree with orange leaves the other day! It looks like a truly blissful summer down your way, lots of play and quality time together. I love your new skirt, I always wear my skirts with tights and boots in the winter and t-shirts in the summer - a very justifiable investment ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I've noticed how early it's going dark though it's still light until about 9 here. The bonus is that the stars come out earlier but there is the sadness of summer gradually falling away. Love your bench - wish I'd kept ours now which was the same design. And, wow, that skirt! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. We were near Matlock for our holidays at the end of June/beginning of July. It's a gorgeous part of the country. We stayed in Winster. Loads of lovely villages with pretty cottage gardens and nice pubs nearby. We did lots of the cycle trails. Have a lovely time.
    The bench make-over makes it look very tropical! Way too nice to be thrown out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the best people post it note cook books! (I do too) We went to the butterfly farm today on the train to Stratford. It was so wet I was soaked just getting a parking ticket to park the car for the day but it was a perfect day for being inside. Always great to hear your news. Your skirt is out of this world by the way! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the nomination! I have cast my vote :-) I love, love, love what you did with the bench. It looks awesome! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you're enjoying the summer holidays. I was thinking today that it feels as if Autumn is just around the corner. Less like late summer and more like late Autumn. I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet. Have a great break. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. You really have been busy ;-) Isn't it just amazing to live near the sea! I had a space hopper and made sure the children had one too when they were younger, in fact I think there still is one in the shed that comes out when Josh makes obstacle courses with his friends! I'm glad you were able to get away for a little break and re-charge!!
    I love the skirt! I too have been shopping in Cath Kidston this week and got a few goodies :-) Have you been to Gunwharf Quays at Portsmouth? There is a large outlet shopping centre and it has an outlet Cath Kidston! We were there earlier this week, Abi was in her element with all the discount designer stores!
    I'm glad that I am not the only one that has to have home made cake to take on holiday, it is a bit of a must in our household :-) I hope you have a lovely break and that the weather will be kind to you. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. The painted bench looks a little Charlestonesque I think. How clever you are to see its potential. I remember being quite surprised by how good my daughter is at shopping and then realised that all those mother/daughter shopping trips had not been in vain. i think your CK skirt is fab, just think of all the colours you can wear it with. Have a good break and I hope you don't get too much sewing and crochet done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fab post Gillian - love your skirt, brilliant bench, photos, that you bake to perk yourself up (I do too) and you bought your kids a space hopper. I LOVED my space hopper and used to do gymkhanas in the garden on it (cheaper than riding lessons!). Bouncing on a trampoline as well would be fantastic - you can see the delight on your daughter's face. Obvs couldn't do that now after 3 babies! Have a completely wonderful holiday. Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. For years now children have loved space hoppers, I've got 2 here that my grandchildren like to bounce up and down on. Understand what you mean though, I only have to look at one and my pelvic floor twitches.
    Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your bench transformation!!! I really must get on and paint mine, you have inspired me! Cake is always needed too isn't it, especially on a rainy school holiday. Enjoy wearing your fabulous skirt! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. My boys used the space hopper on the trampoline, they spent so much time on the trampoline it was a wonderful investment! Love the bench, they sell for quite a lot of money! I think the skirt will really suit you , love the rickrack. I really don't want the early darkness to come, it makes walking the dogs grim. Let hope we have more sun to come. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yum yum to the goodies and the bench. Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's a time of the year I love and fear equally... love it, because of the rich abundance of fruit, nuts on the trees getting bigger by the hour, beautiful flowers, fields and forests looking very different from only a few weeks ago. Fear, because I know it's inevitably moving towards autumn - a season I very much love, too, but dread for its cold and often grey and wet days and weeks with no end in sight.
    The Cath Kidston skirt is great - I want one, too!!! I'll be in England next week... but I guess all the good bits will be gone from the sale by then. Well, I'll have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Summer to autumn is so bittersweet isn't it? The end of the long hot (??!) days and lazy relaxation, but the promise of autum colour, crunchy leaves and pumpkins with Christmas just starting to twinkle on the horizon. Have a wonderful holiday, looking forward to seeing all your holiday projects.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I vaguely remember having a space hopper but have clearer memories of a pogo stick & a narrow concrete ledge! It really is getting darker earlier now isn't it, I like it though Autumn is my favourite season. Love the skirt & your bench transformation & I hope you have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, the cakes sound good! I'm going to look out for that book in the library. And the skirt is great. Is the ricrac printed or sewn on? And I've placed my vote, so good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my, that bouncing looks like so much fun. I might give it a try (under the cover of darkness I might add). Did your parents try to claim the bench back? It is just stunning! I shall add bench painting to my list of fun things to do this autumn. Have a great holiday Gillian. x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your bench makeover ! Why is it that men always seem to have comments when we women use pink in our house ?? I bet that if you would have used yellow or green, the bench would have been approved of immediately...
    I never had one of those big balls, but I do remember my loloball :-) ! Oh boy I hopped around for kilometers and kilometers (and had regular "meetings" with the ground as well ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my, the space hopper on the trampoline, it looks like so much fun. I shall have to try this (under the cover of darkness I might add). I wonder if youf mum and dad will ask to have their renovated bench back, it is fabulous. Have a lovely holiday. Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. love the bedding so bright and pleasing

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would like your bench, and your skirt, and your cookbook (and some pre-made brownies too please!). Looks like a lovely summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. The shortening days haven't gone by unnoticed here either. I'm torn between wanting a proper summer (where's the sun been?) and getting excited about my favourite time of year...
    Baking's what I love to do on rainy days. Its just the whole process. So absorbing and calming, and it appeals to all my senses too. I bet your kitchen's been smelling wonderful lately!
    Congrats on the pink paint. I've still to attack my little bookcase but it will happen. We also have a rickety old bench out the back which my stepdad's going to mend for us. It'll have a makeover too.
    Your bedding's lovely and the house is looking great - I just voted for you. Good luck!
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Again, I love so many things in this post, your skirt and your bench (well done, it looks great! Love the pink!), and those brownies.. yum!
    And I also want to say well done for keeping your blog going all through the holidays and your return to work, I don't know how you find the time to take pictures and write, you are an inspiration and it is always such a pleasure to read you!
    Enjoy the rest of your summer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hope you're having a wonderful holiday. There's so much joy in your post. Love the skirt!! We're currently going through the hula hoop and skipping craze. I go slightly dizzy from having to count the spins!! That bench is wonderful - an inspired colour choice I think! We've noticed the shortening days (particularly when we wake up for an early shift...it's definitely dark at 4.20am now!) but for me this is the perfect time. I love the (the lead up to) Autumn. The fresh page of the new school/academic year. Any opportunity for new stationery!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Finally I'm properly back on line, blog restored, and can catch up with everyone. Here's hoping you're having (have had almost, I guess) a fabulous holiday.

    Good luck in the Amara awards. The nomination is very much deserved and I've voted :o)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Yes darker nights here too. Though not until about 9. I loved my space hopper too, though mine was probably first generation, early '70's. X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.