Sunday 30 August 2015

A Tale Of Two Seasons





Saturday morning before last - over a week ago already, where has the time gone? - while hanging out washing load number four or five, I realised that it was not only sunny but actually quite hot. Hot for the UK, anyway, at 28°C/82°F, and not a day to be squandered. We made plans to go to the beach hut that afternoon and met up with my sister and her family there. We drove and sat in traffic, they cycled, and it took us both an hour to get there. As the afternoon went on it started to cloud over but, undeterred, we still swam in the sea. I thought that afternoon might be the last chance we got to swim this summer and I wanted to make the most of it all - the weather, my family, the warmth. Isn't sea swimming just wonderful? So liberating and uplifting. That swim is another mental postcard to bring out in the middle of winter. 

Then last Monday, it felt like we'd fast forwarded straight into autumn without any warning. We woke to rain and dim light levels which hung around for the rest of the week. I sulked. Where had my summer gone? Torrential rain was hurled at the windows as I made made pancakes for breakfast. I spent most of last week running errands, catching up on housework and washing, and getting ready for the new school term. This all sounds tedious but it was satisfyingly productive and a pleasing return to normality after our holiday. We dodged the rain as we went from parcel depot to dry cleaners to doctors to Hobbycraft to shoe shop. It seems to get darker earlier at a rate of knots now, and the evening air is cooling. The seasons are turning.

It's so much easier to embrace autumn when you feel you've had a good summer, and I do feel that we have, even with the wet end to the holidays that we've just experienced. Back in June, I wrote a sort of summer wish list and all those goals have been met bar the making of lemon curd. Never mind, I'll buy some. But beach opportunities have been seized and the garden has served us so well as a place to relax and eat, I've crafted and stitched and painted, and I've certainly found the weekends John works easier now that I am so near my family. 

I'm more aware of autumn's approach than any other season I think, except perhaps spring. The beginning of autumn is so closely connected to the start of a new school year for me that I cannot miss it. On Tuesday, when I go back to work, my summer will feel like it's over, even though technically it lasts until the end of September. Of course I hope that we'll have lots more warm, dry weather in the coming weeks but...it wont be the same. I'll be at work, the children at school, and the leaves will be turning. But I love autumn with a passion, I really do, and I feel excited just knowing it's coming. Excited to experience autumn in this house, in this area, to light the wood burning stove and find the best woods for conkers. An end and a beginning. 

*

Yesterday, while picking blackberries, we saw this spider in the hedgerow. I've never seen one like it before - isn't it beautiful and also slightly scary looking? Does anyone know what it is?


And thank you so, so much for the lovely, overwhelmingly positive comments to my last post, which was about a dress but really about body image. I know that we all share the same hangups but it's always feels good to give them an airing, then they seem to evaporate - or at least lose a little of their power. Once again I am lucky enough to feel the supportive warmth and friendship of the blogging community. You're all good eggs.


*


The two crocheted net bags pictured above are from the excellent book Modern Crochet by Molla Mills. The crocheted square is for the Cedar River blanket which I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. I'll write more about them both soon. And that gorgeous yellow kettle is by the genius brand Mini Moderns. When I left Leeds, my friends clubbed together and gave me some money as a leaving gift, so that when we were settled I could choose something non-essential and pretty for our new house. I chose this because I like yellow, I like enamelware, I love the shape, but mostly because the kettle is decorated with little pictures of really angular retro style houses which look so much like ours. It had to be done. 

37 comments:

  1. I think it may be a wasp spider: http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/wasp-spider

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too feel slightly wistful that the summer is in its final few weeks, but really looking forward to Autumn as it is my favourite season of all.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really has been a tale of two seasons over the last week with all that rain hasn't it, not good at all. I do hope that there will be a few last days of summer yet to come! Seems as though you have made the very best of it though. Love your new kettle!! Your blanket looks great too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love autumn but it makes me wary to think that a long dark winter follows. I noticed that the laundry feels a little damp when taken in too late in the day. A sure sign. Love your yellow kettle, love yellow. I hope terms starts well for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normally, I'm always happy when autumn kicks in, but this year, I really want summer to last a little bit longer... Maybe because we were spoilt this year with a great summer ? And like children, we want more of "the good stuff" ?
    And that lemon curd, you still have time to make it (it is sooo easy to make !), officially summer isn't over yet ;-)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn or summer? We've had sun but no heat this week; no swimming in the sea for me this year! But I'm happy to think that autumn will come with the darker nights and the chances to light candles and the crafting that doesn't get done in summer sun but will be better when the days are dreary. I love your pictures on this post.Very apt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a lovely post gillian, and beautiful pictures. glad you have made the most of the summer xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather's been wild and unpredictable hasn't it. Lots of chores done here too, and many more to go. It does look cosy in your kitchen. Best place to be when the rain is hurling against the windows. I'm glad you've had a good summer, it must be wonderful being so near the sea. And you're right, sea swimming is wonderful. I still vividly remember the last time I swam in the sea, it's such a tonic. You're not tempted to take up running into the sea every morning at 6am now you live nearby? CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow that spider find is fantastic. It's a wasp spider! They've only been in the UK since 1920-something and are only in the south. I'd love to see one of these.

    Lovely collection of photos - I haven't swam in the sea since I was 14! I'd love to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I quite like it when the weather changes and we can snuggle up indoors on a gloomy wet day.
    If you want to finish your wish list, I posted a great lemon curd recipe on my blog recently, come check it out! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love your posts Gillian. Your photos are so atmospheric and your writing always makes me smile. It has been a weird old week for weather. We've just been out on the balcony watching an electric storm over the sea – the whole sky lit up and there was a massive lightening bolt over France. The seasons are definitely changing. I have friends who swim in the sea all year round but I go in only when it's hot enough not to be freezing when you come out! Good wishes for the new term. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cold here last week too. However, the weather is going to make it up to us this week - 30+ degrees all week. I head back to school (teaching) in just over a week. School is here, so autumn is soon to follow. I don't mind though. Time to dig out the afghans and the flannel pjs. Cosy is my favourite feeling in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whenever I read your posts, no matter what the topic, your writing is so warm and your photos always peaceful. I adore your crochet, I've been crocheting more myself, I'm trying to move away from disposable items like napkins and dishclothes, so I'm crocheting and sewing! I hopeyou have a phenomenol week! Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Gillian. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos and thoughts. Looking at your handsome wood burning stove I can't wait for autumn either. Good luck with going back to work and It's great to hear how settled you feel now that you're nearer your family xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That yellow kettle would look very nice in my kitchen, yellow being my favourite colour :-)

    I so agree with you about embracing autumn. Since my return from Yorkshire, I've had days of 32/33 C and wore my summer dresses for probably the last time for many months to come. Today is my first day back at work, and it is probably the last of those hot, sunny days.
    To get in the mood for September (a month I've always loved), I've treated myself to a new coffee mug: it has a retro-style fox printed on it, with acorns and oak leaves scattered around it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post with so many gorgeous photos. I do envy how close you must be to the coast, as it takes us nearly an hour. Always seems strange when we change over seasons, as we are coming into Spring and I'm another year older and you are getting ready for autumn. Hmmm! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you have had better weather than you would have had in Leeds! I'm afraid I am a warm sea swimmer! swimming in the South China Sea now there is an experience! I like autumn, but not the dark nights, that just means walking the dogs in the dark. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous photos, (and word too) really really really nice post.
    Ciao, Antonella

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes those sunny days in the holidays needed to be embraced whilst they were here we didn't get a great deal of them, thank goodness for cameras and blogging to record those glimpses.
    Blackberry picking and conker searching coming up!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just one quick question, what did use to crochet the bags ?I am thinking fishing twine (as per instructions) is might have a hard texture. Lovely pics by the way.Good luck with the Lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sorry it took me so long to reply. I used cotton, as these are more hanging storage than actual shopping bags. I suspect it's surprisingly strong though!

      Delete
  21. Oh that yellow kettle is gorgeous, what a lovely thing to choose with your leaving gift money.
    Good luck with the return of school and work this week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://www.minimoderns.com/category/furnishing-lampshades >>>>oh the feathers lampshades are beautiful!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your kettle, Gillian. It's perfect for you and your house. I appreciate that you have the same feelings about autumn that I do, it's so good to know I'm not alone. It's so much a part of who I am, the feelings I have about the seasons changing and how they affect my life and everything I do, really.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Gillian,
    This post has articulated my summer holiday perfectly. Just as well, as I am once more without a computer, grrrr. And how funny - I took some photos of my kitchen in action, so to speak. Not styled, but just as it was. And I have swum in the sea a few times. There will be more beach trips, I'm sure. As for the kettle...perfection.
    Hope your return to work, and Bella and Angus's return to school are stress free and enjoyable.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love those bags Gillian - so cheerful and practical! That is quite the intimidating spider. We have tons of spiders around here - inside and outside - but luckily I have not seen one like that. Though yesterday I almost saw a bumblebee devoured by a spider; he managed to extract himself from the web at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Drooling over that enamelware, just fabulous.

    Bit geeky but I Iooked up your spider friend and it is a Araneus Quadratus. Says "superfically similar to the garden spider but has a white anterior stripe with spots and stripes on the abdomen. Females can appear grotesquely swollen. Adults seen from July to October Spins a spherical web. Females are larger than males." From the Collins complete guide British wildlife. Great book we have two. One at home and one at the cabin. Easy for kids to use too.

    Enjoy the last of your holidays. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've just realised that I haven't seen the sea since early spring ... that will have to be remedied pronto!

    The kettle is so you! And it's going to look really cheerful come the winter gloom.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your kitchen looks so warm and cozy - I could spend hours in there. I am very ready for Autumn myself, as it has been a terribly hot summer here. I love your yellow kettle!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your new kettle is really beautiful. I love the colour and the design. We never reached as high a temperature as you did at the weekend. I think we managed to get to 23C a few days. The rest were hovering mostly between 16 and 18. And soon much rain! You're right that autumn is well and truly on its way. It will be a relief in a way. No need to keep hoping that the summer weather will finally arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes last week of the holidays already, it seems to have gone in a wet flash! I love the kettle to, that is my favourite colour. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can't believe summer has gone so quickly! If you still want to squeeze in making that lemon curd, I use a microwave recipe. It is so easy, uses whole eggs, so no whites to use up and it tastes amazing! Here is a link if you are interested. I do cook it for a couple of minutes longer than they say. x

    http://realmomkitchen.com/7090/microwave-lemon-curd/

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your kettle, great choice of present. You have really made the most of living close to the sea, it's good to see and hear about you sea swimming with the family. I have a collection of well-used crochet bags that my mum used to make for me, it may be time to start making my own in zingy colours! Hope work and back to school is going smoothly for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all your photographs, and thank you for the info about the crochet bags, they look really useful! We can feel the season turning here too. I like autumn, don't have a problem with longer evenings etc. I think we are so fortunate to live in a climate with such an interesting variety of seasonal weather x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a great post Gillian. I love the kettle. Your kitchen looks cosy and inviting. I thought the rain would never end here but we've had dry weather just recently although there's the definite Autumnal chill now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes, I too am an Autumn lover these days and I know exactly what you mean, both about it not being the same once September starts. But also being more ready for it once you've had a good summer. I don't think we really have had a good summer, but a decent holiday to somewhere hot helped a lot! Still enjoying all your pictures so much. Do I say that every time? Probably, but it's true!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It will always be useful to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their web sites.


    Also visit my webpage - curly hair styles ()

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.