Wednesday 3 December 2014

Alpine Tea Light Holders


Today was a perfect December day, cold and clear with a colourful sunrise and sunset. Exactly the kind of sky and weather I was thinking about when I made these jam jar tea light holders. 

They are very easy and a lot of fun to make, and I've put together a quick tutorial for you.

You'll need:
  • Jam jars (I used the larger ones, the kind mayonaise comes in.)
  • PVA glue.
  • Tissue paper.
  • An old plastic pot and paintbrush.
  • Tea light candles.


Make sure your jars are clean-ish, but don't worry about any glue from labels left on the outside as it'll all be covered. Cut up your tissue paper into strips. I started with a sheet of each colour and used all the white and only very small amounts of the other colours.


In the plastic bowl, mix one part PVA glue with one part water and mix well. I believe Mod Podge would work in the same way here, although I've never used it. Using the paintbrush, paint a layer of this mixture over the entire jam jar.


Start layering on your strips of tissue paper, going over each layer with another coat of the gluey mixture. I found I needed to use loads of white, but very little of the stronger colours. I wanted mine to look like winter sunsets, so planned my colours accordingly.


You might want to leave it to dry between stages to see if you need to add any more layers of a particular colour, especially the paler ones. Also, I found that some of the stronger colours bled a little. Then I added my mountains and trees, slowly layering up little tissue paper shapes until I was fairly happy with what I had. I badly wanted to do a cable car and a chalet, but this kind of craft is fairly rough around the edges and I thought they'd just look like messy blobs. So I stuck to trees and mountains on a snowy hill with a setting sun behind them. When they were finished and dry, I gave each jar one more coat of the glue mixture, just to seal them and act as a kind of varnish.


I really like how they came out. They say Winter without screaming Christmas, and you know how I do love a winter sky. And I enjoyed doing some quiet, festive crafting on a slow afternoon too, even better.


I wanted the sunsets to glow when they were lit, and this is what happens. Such a cosy effect!


Of course you can do anything with the tissue paper. The kids just enjoyed layering stripes of colour onto the jam jars and that works just as well too.


33 comments:

  1. these are so pretty Gillian, love the effect of the glowing winter sunsets x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're very pretty. I think it's a great idea to make things like this, inexpensive and simple but very effective. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely way of bringing colour into the house in winter, I'll be trying these with the kids as well. Antonia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Gilllian and a good project, escpecially to keep kids occupied on a wet afternoon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very effective - love the warm glow the tea lights create
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A simple and effective idea, lovely. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like yours and the children's equally! The way that the trees are slightly fuzzy around the edges is great and works really well, there is a definite sunset feel too!! They will look great on your mantel with your new picture! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boys love making these, i love the ones you all made :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My girls love making these with sunsets and black trees on. Yours are more subtle and may i say more beautiful. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are very pretty and I love the way they glow when the tea lights are lit xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful idea and they look so cosy when they are lit. A great craft to keep the children occupied in the run up to Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty votives! I love how you chose to create a sunset...so cozy and inviting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice idea ! thanks for sharing ! have a lovely and creative day !!

    http://woolandcats.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, these are so pretty...perhaps my grands would enjoy making some with me. Thanks for sharing the how to, Gillian xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Liking these, Gillian. Going to have a go! Thanks for sharing.
    Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So effective! Am adding this to my (very long) must do list! Thank you. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just the perfect crafty project. Love love love this! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very clever and creative. The soft, warm glow from the tealights are lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved seeing your tissue lanterns x

    ReplyDelete
  20. So simple and pretty, I love the warm glow they give out! A perfect winter project! Have a lovely week-end xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. So lovely, they are like stained glass. I like a bit of pva crafting! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. So pretty! I do love a glowing winter sky. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are really pretty. I bought one recently which looks like the Northern Lights over a snowbound cottage - these remind me very much of that. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. BigR would love doing this. What a great idea! xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. So clever, and creative, they look magical with the candles lit inside X

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are so pretty Gillian, I love them! My daughter would love making these too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Gillian, I made similar tea light holders with my children today, and I'm about to post a blogpost about it, and will reference your post, if that's ok :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Gillian, I'm just about to post about my making of these, inspired by yours! I'm referencing your post, I hope thats ok :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.