Monday 12 August 2013

Fun with Felt and Mollie Makes


It feels like there hasn't been much time for crafting this summer holiday. Moments have been snatched here and there (usually when we've been staying with friends and family) and I've had fun with a few little projects but not accomplished half of what I wanted to. So, instead of making the children something useful like PE bags (boring) ready for the start of school in September I thought, I know, it's absolutely essential that Bella and Angus have a felt fox and raccoon to play with. Their summer holiday will not be complete without them.


The pattern for these rather handsome little fellows comes from issue 23 of Mollie Makes. Yes, I am still working my way through my year-long subscription, determined to make one thing from each issue. I think issue 23 came out some time around February - I am quite behind, it's true, but very much enjoying browsing these old issues for inspiration. Funny how old fashion and interiors magazines sap my inspiration but old crafty pages do the opposite. Even if a certain pattern or idea has been aimed at a particular season, it's easy enough to change elements of it to suit me.


But I didn't change a thing about these animals - I followed the (very good) pattern to the letter and enjoyed every little stitch.  I find this kind of hand sewing so relaxing and each one was completed in a couple of evenings.

And from issue 29, which I think came out fairly recently, I made these two little ice lollies, a Rocket and a Fab. 


I was instantly drawn to their old school, ice cream van charm. I did deviate from the pattern though. 


I edged the Rocket in straight stitch as the pattern said but thought it looked messy so I edged the Fab in blanket stitch. I love blanket stitch - it's so smooth and tidy looking. I could make those stitches for hours. Am I weird?


Ultimately the ice lollies will end up in Bella and Angus's toy shop, but in the meantime all of these goodies will be put in their holiday bags along with some other bits and bobs to keep them quiet and make them happy when we are away. I'm making new holiday bags - I'll show you them later in the week when they're finished. Ooh, holidays are coming!


30 comments:

  1. Ah! Stop they are the cutest... I have yet to get a copy of Mollie Makes, I really do feel like I am missing out! But these Gillian, these are gorgeous! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the animals, very cute. Agree about the blanket stitch, the rocket lolly looks good, but the blanket stitch one looks really good. You are not strange, you just know what you like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore all your felty creations! I'm quite the same with my Mollie Makes, so many dog-eared pages of projects I will do one day...some day...but the Fab is a must, both my girls love them to bits, so thanks for the top tip about the edging stitches. And I, too, get an odd satisfaction from blanket stitch, it just seems to sort out everything with one little tug of thread, doesn't it? :-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Gillian. I too love working with felt and saw those cuties on the cover of the magazine, but didn't buy it. I've enough "stuff" to keep me going for more than a lifetime. I'll just enjoy other people doing things that I've not got time for.(giggle).

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're all so cute! You did a great job with them. My daughter just saw them as I was reading and she LOVES the rocket pop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are adorable!! The lollies put a smile on my face, my daughter would love those for her play kitchen! And you're right... summer would not be complete with out the animals for the kids!
    I hope you're having a good start to the week!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these are just gorgeous! You're quite right about the blanket stitch - it gives a much neater finish. I have only 4 days to work before I'm off for 2 weeks - yippee! We're going to stay with friends for a few days but I'm looking forward to doing some crafting too. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are both brilliant and I'm sure will be played with for hours :)
    Our holidays are coming to an end - back to school for Matt's GCSE year in less than 3 weeks. It's gone so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They will be enjoyed during lots of happy play times I'm sure, how couldn't they be when they are so cute!
    Looking forward to seeing the bags too, just love seeing your makes.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love them ... the Fab lolly is my favourite!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are great. I made fox & raccoon sat on the beach in Spain and was delighted that my 7 year old was able to make the Fab on the train to London at the weekend. We put a real lolly stick in to speed things up! Ellie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love play food too. I I still remember the play house when I was in nursery and how everyone wanted the egg box filled with wooden eggs! A shop is on the cards for my girls too....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous felt creations! The fox and racoon are so cute and who can resist retro lollies? I agree though, that blanket stitch is far superior. :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are all wonderful, well done you. And I totally understand what you mean about blanket stitch, I love it too! I bet your little people are thrilled with these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gillian, Sooooo cute!!!Great Magazine!!!
    Have a fab week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are just lovely and a really satisfying make. I am writing to let you know about this cake recipe. It is fantastic. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/courgette-cake-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. They're so cute. I love the lollies and I'm sure they'll be a big hit in the toy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your little animals are delightful. I bet your children will be thrilled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those lollies are the business!! I saw them in my friends copy of the magazine. Can't wait to see the holiday bags.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous ... I am rather behind on my crafting too ... you have motivated me though .... I think I want a racoon and fox to play with ;) ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all your little felt makes! The little animals are particularly cute. I love sewing with felt.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  22. The animals are so darling! I know Bella and Angus will be so pleased with them. I look forward to seeing your holiday bags! I cannot believe they are just right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely adorable! Those animals are the sweetest. I've never tried to make such small fiddly felt things. I wonder if I would find it relaxing, too?? Hmm..I must try it...

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute. I've only made 1 thing from mollie makes though I love reading it! Maybe you need younger children to make items. Or maybe I should just go ahead anyway. I agree with you about the blanket stitch looks really neat. And the fab lolly is my favourite .... I remember them coming out and they were considered really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  25. There creations are all so cute! The felt fox would be a great gift for my friends child (their last name is fox).

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adore the fab. I think it is wonderful that your children have things that you have made specially for them. They will treasure them in years to come or the memories of them

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.