Thursday 30 November 2023

November Moments


I was thinking earlier that November is an underrated month. I used to think of it  as a cold and dreary month, a dark pause between Halloween in October and then everything that December brings. This year it was certainly cold and wet, but I always think the leaf colour is so much better in November than October, and suddenly feel the urge to get out into the woods and make the most of it before all the leaves disappear. The pause is welcome because it gives me time to rest but also start thinking about the marathon that is Christmas planning and shopping.

And so that it what I have been trying to do this November: get out into the woods, spend time in the house, do a bit of Christmas planning and rest here and there.


So here is a random collection of moments from the last month, times when I have paused and enjoyed what is before me.

The woods, with the dog and John (teenagers sometimes) always make me feel better. 


I love it when I get home from work and John has already lit the fire. I like it even more when he hands me a glass of wine. 


After some busy weekends away, I have really enjoyed just pottering at home on recent weekends. I am also very much enjoying reading at the moment and am already adding a few festive titles to my bedside table.


We have been blessed with the odd frosty morning and it has been beautiful. This was the staff car park at work early one Friday morning, It was the kind of day where a big walk in the countryside would have been just the thing.


We made pumpkin pancakes with canned pumpkin puree. They are just normal pancakes but with pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Absolutely delicious and one of my favourite autumn things to eat.


I don't know how or why, but a lone rose just started flowering in the garden. A November rose.


Last Sunday I made my Christmas cake. Just a small one this year, as it's just John and I who eat it, but I felt better for making one, like I had done something enjoyable and festive. It's now wrapped up in greaseproof paper and foil, tucked away in a tin.

I really want to bake more Christmassy treats this year. Last year I think I managed cookies and mince pies and that was it. I also want to make time to do some festive crafting, It is really hard to find the time for things like this now that I work full time, and usually at the weekends too, but I know that I will feel better for a little festive pottering, 


I started crocheting this scarf over half term and haven't picked it up for a while. In the evenings I just want to crochet a few rows of my blanket, but I am hopeful to so a little more of this soon.


I picked up my Iceland embroidery from the framers a couple of weeks ago,


I opted to have no glass, as I dislike glass on my embroideries. I like to be able to touch them when they are in their frames, and feel the texture of the stitches. 


It just about fits at the top of my gallery wall, above my New York embroidery.


It's a good memory of one of the best holidays we ever had. 


I'll leave you with a few pictures of Ziggy. He can mostly be found lying in a sunbeam, or on a freshly made bed. When not doing that, he will be begging for food or stealing my slippers.









9 comments:

  1. You have my most favorite house on all the internet - so cozy, colorful, calm, and full of books! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post as always, Gillian! Your house is beautiful, love your new framed embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A post of loveliness. Thank you. I also teach full time - managed to make Christmas cards again this year but sadly no cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new framed embroidery! Love all your framed embroideries!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of lovely memories on your wall of some of the places you have been on holiday. The new Iceland embroidery looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the books, the books...heaven! Also a teacher,now retired, but STILL don't get time to read all my books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean about finding time for Christmas crafts! I am also a teacher. I have also developed carpol tunnel, so no knitting or crochet this year. I am missing it so much.
    Thank, as always, for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ziggy has the loveliest face, quite serene! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your embroidery work is amazing! I love to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.