Sunday 12 November 2023

Autumn

 

Autumn has been a mixed bag so far. The weather has been unseasonably warm, then very wet, before finally cooling down. We've had all sorts going on at home, in amongst the usual treadmill of work/school/college. We uncovered a slow leak in the bathroom which resulted in lots of the wall needing to be knocked out to expose the pipe work. It is three quarters fixed and I am distracting myself by choosing paint colours since we're going to have to redecorate. There's an issue with the roof which is causing small leaks in the dining room and living room. And the front door is also leaking. So it's been fun. Add to that a poorly dog, although he is better now, and it's been a rollercoaster.

This sourdough is a good metaphor. One bake rising unfeasibly high, the next flat as a pancake (like my pumpkin one above). And then the starter got flies in it, because I didn't put the lid on properly, just to top it all off. Sometimes a sourdough starter is a bit like having another thing to keep alive and I have my hands full with children and pets. 


But there have been many seasonal comforts and moments of joy in amongst the vets and plumbers and mess. Like autumnal food, such as this resplendent toad in the hole, as well as many pies and stews and crumbles.


I have been tidying up the garden ready for winter. I am proud of myself for remembering to put my geraniums in the cold frame, so that the frost does not get them. I love a geranium. Large plants which had outgrown their pots have been moved into the borders and I have planted bulbs. The outdoor sofa cushions have been brought inside ready to be washed and packed away.


There have been lots of walks. I took this photo about a month ago and it was so warm that afternoon that we were all in t-shirts.


Other small pleasures include getting my nails done...


...watching Great British Bake Off....


....and a lie in with a good book. 

On the crafting front, I did finally finish my Iceland holiday diary and took it to the framer. I am still working on the same patchwork quilt and crochet blanket that I have been for years. The socks I started on the plane back from Iceland have not been looked at since. 


We did have a very lovely jaunt to London with our friends during half term. We ate, drank, played miniature gold and shuffleboard, rode in a cable car and a boat and saw an excellent exhibition at The Imperial War Museum about espionage. It was all very much needed.








Now my thoughts are turning towards Christmas a little. It doesn't start for me until December 1st, at the earliest, but the calendar is filling up and I have started to do a bit of shopping. I am trying to get ahead of myself, but still very much enjoying autumn. I always think it's a shame when people want to jump straight to Christmas the minute Halloween is over, because autumn is still happening and it is the best season. But then if putting your tree up on 1st November makes you happy, crack on - we all need to find the joy wherever and whenever we can. 

4 comments:

  1. Very much agree - I try to love whichever season we are in, but I can't help but love autumn a little bit more than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also beginning to slowly turn towards Christmas. We will celebrate Thanksgiving in a little over a week, and after that I'm all about getting ready and excited for Christmas. I actually picked up a few Christmas gifts when I was out and about shopping over the weekend. Hope you have a wonderful, cozy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same about the seasons and hating the rush, especially on the commercial front. When it gets to Halloween I've only just come to terms with the summer being over, so November really feels like a true autumn month for me. I don't like to think about christmas in November because I'm still in autumn mode, although I did buy a box of After Eight mints and a net of whole nuts last week. Wishing you lots of lovely cosy (dry) autumnal days still to come xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliantly presented! Your post is both insightful and thought-provoking. Appreciate you sharing your valuable perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.