Thursday 23 December 2021

Festivities



Undeterred by work tiredness, school tiredness, coughs, colds, sore arms from boosters and constantly lingering Covid worries, we have been busy squeezing every last drop of joy out of December.

The month started very strongly with a trip to London to meet up with my book group friends. I was particularly excited about the journey: two hours each way with a book, a magazine, a coffee and my crochet and - crucially - no-one talking to me. Bliss. I needed to save my chatting energy for the friends I was meeting. We started our book group in May 2020 in the first lockdown (a mixture of people I already knew and new friends, scattered across the UK) and it was the first time we have met in person, and it was just wonderful.

We met for lunch at the Wolseley in Piccadilly, and were in there for four and a half hours, so a good lunch. There was time for a little pottering around the shops nearby, including a very festive Fortnum and Masons. Their windows were spectacular and, lit up, it was stunning as it grew dark.




At home, Christmas traditions continued, as familiar and comforting as a crochet blanket.


The homemade advent candle came out. Angus remembers to light it every Sunday night. 


Fairy lights are festooned liberally, including all over the front of the house too, a first for us. 


The children helped me decorated the tree, and I rearranged all their bauble choices once they were in bed.


We bought some chalk pens and had fun decorating the windows. 


The kids made peppermint bark, definitely one of their favourite Christmas treats. 


I spent a Friday night making Christmas cards. I have a few stamps from here which I've been collecting over the last few years and I experimented with layering different colour inks from the many stamp pads I have lurking in the spare room.


I dried oranges for garlands which I hung at the kitchen window and above the stove.


Then, last Saturday we went to London as a family to celebrate Bella's fifteenth birthday.



After arriving by train, we avoided public transport for the rest of the day, walking everywhere and taking a couple of taxis at the end of the day when we were getting tired.



Bella had the chance to visit a couple of shops which I've never heard of but apparently are very cool if you're a teenager, and we had a fantastic lunch here, ramen being Bella's absolute favourite food. 


We had booked tickets to go up The Shard but, as you can see from the above photo, there was a lot of low cloud that day and so the view was, sadly, non-existent. It was quite surreal, absolutely silent up there, and with no sense of where you were or how high up. Anyway, you get to re-use your tickets for free within a year, so we will have the opportunity to go again.


And now it is the Christmas holidays. I don't feel like I've stopped, but it's a nice kind of busy with meet ups with friends, walks with family and Christmas preparations. It feels like we're all quite deliberately trying to soak up every opportunity to be with the people we care about, with the prospect of another lockdown hanging over us. I've been distracting myself with the washing, cleaning, cooking, baking, wrapping presents, tidying up the piles of mysterious objects that build up around the house during term time. I had my booster on Tuesday and felt pretty rough yesterday which was a shame as it meant cancelling plans to see friends who were over from Australia, but that's covid for you, ruining plans for the last two years. 


In between all that I have been catching up with December's Stitch A Day and working on a crochet scarf from this book.


I had saved up enough points on my Waterstones loyalty card to treat myself to this gorgeous book, Advent: Festive German Bakes to Celebrate the Coming of Christmas, pictured above. It is beautifully written and photographed and I want to make everything but, due to life, have only had time to make some lebkuchen, which I still need to ice. 

For a bit of fun, I made these chocolate chip cookies from the blog Jane's Patisserie, recipe here. They are really good and so easy to make with the kids.


And it would not be Christmas without mince pies, or certainly not for me, anyway. I always use this recipe and my pies don't come out looking that neat, but the the pastry is so short and buttery and crumbly, they are really good. 



Today it is Christmas Eve Eve, or my sister Anna's birthday, as it's known in our family. My other sister, Katy, has hers on the 27th, a date she shares with her son. We have a lot of Christmas birthdays in this family! So I am popping round to see my sister with her gift before collecting my food shopping, then John, Bella, Angus and I are going to the pantomime this afternoon, a Christmas tradition I really missed last year. 

Tomorrow will involve cleaning and cooking (assembling a tiramisu, baking a chocolate log and roasting a ham), last minute wrapping and finally that sweet moment on Christmas Eve when, if it isn't done, it isn't going to be done, and you can relax a little.

Merry Christmas lovely blog readers. Thank you for being here, for reading and saying hello in the comments, even when I cannot be here as often as I once was. I hope Christmas is good to you, and you get to spend time doing things you enjoy with the people you love.




27 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Gillian. That looked like a wonderful visit to London. We haven't been there for many years and are long overdue a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas - I know your job keeps you very busy so I appreciate your posts .Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the crochet design of the scarf Gillian and the choc chip cookies look fun to make.
    Happy Birthday Bella and Merry Christmas to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Thank you for all the nice pictures and text you give us all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Gillian, thank you for sharing your photos. Have a good rest too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the tales from your happy house. Please don't ever stop posting! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post!! Love it all! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas from Barcelona!! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you a merry Christmas too, this is a lovely post, everything looks wonderful, happy birthday to your beautiful daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas have loved reading your blog over this past year and your craft, cooking and homey decorating is very inspiring. Stay safe. Greetings from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look like you are making the most of the season! Thanks for sharing your cozy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Enjoy your trips a lot! Happy birthday to Bella and Merry Christmas to you and your family 💜❤️💜

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all your lovely photos and posts. I love the way you grasp life with both hands and enjoy it. I bet you're a fantastic teacher! Happy Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello.
    I love your posts. Thanks for charing.
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas from Portugal!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've commented before, but this blog post was just what I needed before I start the busyness of today, Christmas Eve. What beautiful photos! I enjoyed seeing all you have been up to with stitching and baking and enjoying time around town with your sweet family. Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always enjoy reading about your adventures and your crafting - love the Stitch a Day. Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for a smashing festive post, Gillian. I have missed your posts very much. Bella is quite a young woman now! You are so good to share your home life and creative talents with us, a constant in a changing world. Thank you and a very very Merry Christmas to you all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas, Gillian to you and your family! What lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Christmas to you. I am always in awe of your photography and baking everything is so well put together. I look forward to seeing and reading more in the new year. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Late at the party, Xmas is over XD Hope you had a lovely time. Big hug, and on to NY party. Take care and stay COVID free.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have enjoyed watching your monthly stitch come along this year! Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Christmassy Wishes to you and your family, Gillian! I hope you've had a lovely cosy time. After all these years, your blog posts are still my favourite, I'm so glad that you keep doing them. Now that my daughter is closer to Bella's age when you started it (Kitty will be 5 in March!) and I have a bit more time to do nice things at home, I love going right back to the beginning and getting lots of ideas for crafts and cooks! Have a wonderful 2022! Hopefully more than the last two years - I keep thinking the decade has only just begun and yet we're two years in and not much done! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year to you and your family Gillian, thank you for still posting even though you are so busy, I so look forward to hearing your news. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year John Gillian Bella and Angus ... we wish you much happiness, prosperity and the good health to enjoy it. Your Tales from a Happy House is lovely and a nice way to see what you are up to in these busy times, we think of you often. With love from Marg, Dave and family in Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those chocolate cookies are so very appealing, I would like to try them next year. And the mince pies, too! My grandma always made a mince pie at Christmas, and hardly anyone liked it, but I always admire recipes similar to yours and mull over the idea of making them in her memory. Your description of the short crust and the fact that these are your favorites puts them at the top of my list. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.