Sunday 9 August 2020

A Burst of Summer Creativity


Bella, Angus and I still write a list of things we want to do over the summer holidays. Mine will often include jobs around the house and craft projects I want to complete. Angus's is often a wish including visits to all local fast food outlets, a day trip to London, picnic on the beach...eating features heavily. This summer, Bella's included tie dyeing some clothes. She has been watching lots of TikTok videos of rainbow tie dye but I didn't realise it had to be rainbow so just bought a sachet of Dylon hand dye in Vintage Blue.
We had a lot of fun wrapping and rolling our clothes into different patterns. We did a couple of spirals and a couple with evenly spaced elastic bands to create wobbly stripes.


Bella was over the moon with her hoodie (a hand me down from me, I bought it about ten years ago and never wear it) and t-shirt. We also dyed Angus's NASA t-shirt and he really likes how it came out. We are going to do some rainbow tie dye later in the holidays with the cousins - we can spread the cost of the rainbow dye set between us all - I might have to find a couple more plain white t-shirts though. 


I took part in a little tie dyeing too, using an old white t-shirt of John's which had shrunk. I cut off the arms and collar and sewed blanket stitch around the raw edges. I am planning on adding some crochet edging to the blanket stitch. I have no idea what I'm doing here but I haven't lost anything if it all goes wrong.


I had a sudden burst of enthusiasm and organisation recently and got my crochet projects sorted. I printed out the patterns I'd bought and downloaded, searched my stash for or ordered the right yarn, and then put it all in little project bags so they're ready to go for when I have a moment. My first one is a small commission, a baby blanket like this one I made

I ordered more cotton yarn to make another t-shirt, although this time I will alter the sizing slightly to take into account my height.
I had this rust sock-weight yarn leftover from jumper so I bought a couple more balls in off white to make these socks.
And finally, I bought some tubular yarn to crochet this bag.
These projects will probably take me right up to Christmas and beyond, which is fine (finally I am learning that there is no rush!) but there is something pleasing about seeing them all ready to go.


I also bought a little more wool DK yarn and a round cushion pad and have vague ideas about crocheting a cushion cover because I've been re-arranging furniture and have decided that a new cushion is essential. 

In our hallway, the bench always used to sit by the front door, and the console table has always been closer to the stairs, under the mirror, as below.
I swapped them over, so the bench now lives under the mirror, and love it so much more. I'm sure you'll agree that the bench is just crying out for a small, round, colourful, crocheted cushion...
The hall table is now where the bench was, and I treated myself to a new poster to hang above the table. (The Statue of Liberty tea towel from New York which used to hang there is now hung in the bathroom where it looks fab - I am not ready for it to be used for actual drying up.)
This is the poster. They make the most beautiful individual pressed seaweed prints, too, but I couldn't decide on one and preferred to overall look of the poster. The wooden poster hanger is from Amazon - it's this one.

I am still steadily working on my patchwork quilt. I have now sewn 140 hexagons together (I'm using 3 inch ones) and am starting to get a feel for how it will look. I am loving this project so much, sewing those little fabric shapes together is very soothing and I love the way the pattern slowly builds. 



I feel like the seasons are turning right now. I can see such a shift from high to late summer, in the garden, the hedgerows, the fields. The colour is beginning to fade in the leaves and there are blackberries everywhere.

It's beautiful though. This is one of my favourite times of year, the slow movement of late summer into early autumn. I am determined to make the most of these next weeks before school starts back in September.

12 comments:

  1. Happy August. I have a cactus poster like yours and lots plants underneath it on a table and it looks great although I must say there are rarely one pair of neat shoes under my table! more and assortment of wellies and flip flops. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you in a financial crisis, looking for money to start your own business or to pay your bills?
      GET YOUR BLANK ATM CREDIT CARD AT AFFORDABLE PRICE*
      We sell this card to all our customers and interested buyers worldwide,Tho card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5000 and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores and unlimited on POS.
      **WHAT WE OFFER**
      *1)WESTERN UNION TRANSFERS/MONEY GRAM TRANSFER*
      *2)BINARY OPTION *
      *3)BANKS TRANSFERS*
      *4)CRYPTO CURRENCY MINNING*.
      *5)BUYING OF GIFT CARDS*,
      *6)LOADING OF ACCOUNTS*
      *7)WALMART TRANSFERS*
      *8)BITCOIN INVESTMENTS*
      *9)REMOVING OF NAME FROM DEBIT RECORD AND CRIMINAL RECORD*
      *10)BANK HACKING**11) BANKS LOGINS*
      email Blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com
      you can also call or whatsapp us Contact us today for more enlightenment

        +1 (854) 203-2224   
      WE ARE REAL AND LEGIT...........2019 FUNDS/FORGET ABOUT GETTING A LOAN..

      IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND TRUSTED

      whatsapp only ===>>   +1 (854) 203-2224  
      Cheap as $200

      Delete
  2. Such fun projects.

    Do you hand sew your hexagons? Your quilt is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photographs always make me smile. Thank you for the lift I need right now!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. All so lovely. Look forward to seeing the quilt grow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good idea to have all your creative projects sorted into bags for each one!
    The bench/table swap in the hallway looks really good, and I agree that a round cushion would correspond perfectly with the shape of the mirror.
    Yes, it's that time of the year again... it just feels very early, as if summer has properly begun only very recently (which is of course not true) and autumn will be early this year, what with the very dry and hot weather we have been having over here. The other day during my daily after-work walk, I have picked my first blackberry and spotted the first orange "lampion flowers" in a garden along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos and you have some good projects coming up in the next few months, what a good idea to have them bagged up ready and I can't wait to see how that bag turns out and the granny square round cushion.

    Brilliant tie die experiments too, I'm old enough to have worn tie dyed clothes first time around ... just ... and I loved it then too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dearest gillian, thank you once again for your lovely and inspriational post. always such a pleasure to share in your life. i do a lot of reorganizing and just shuffling my treasures around for different displays and it it so rewarding. so many projects, good luck and will be lovely to see your accomplishments. and yes, take your time. once again, thank you for sharing and making my morning cup of tea so very enjoyable with your company. (-: from london, ontario where it is going to be a humidex of 40 degrees today. enough already. whew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your days with us. They make for a lovely mid-morning break. And I shall be looking into the sock pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you in a financial crisis, looking for money to start your own business or to pay your bills?
    GET YOUR BLANK ATM CREDIT CARD AT AFFORDABLE PRICE*
    We sell this card to all our customers and interested buyers worldwide,Tho card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5000 and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores and unlimited on POS.
    **WHAT WE OFFER**
    *1)WESTERN UNION TRANSFERS/MONEY GRAM TRANSFER*
    *2)BINARY OPTION *
    *3)BANKS TRANSFERS*
    *4)CRYPTO CURRENCY MINNING*.
    *5)BUYING OF GIFT CARDS*,
    *6)LOADING OF ACCOUNTS*
    *7)WALMART TRANSFERS*
    *8)BITCOIN INVESTMENTS*
    *9)REMOVING OF NAME FROM DEBIT RECORD AND CRIMINAL RECORD*
    *10)BANK HACKING**11) BANKS LOGINS*
    email Blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com
    you can also call or whatsapp us Contact us today for more enlightenment

      +1 (854) 203-2224   
    WE ARE REAL AND LEGIT...........2019 FUNDS/FORGET ABOUT GETTING A LOAN..

    IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND TRUSTED

    whatsapp only ===>>   +1 (854) 203-2224  
    Cheap as $200

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really enjoying reading your posts - I get to see how another family are going about being functional and healthy and it makes me feel less like I'm paddling upstream!!
    The poster hanger is a great tip, thank you. I'd also like to know how you're hanging the tea towel - perhaps the same hanger would work? I have a tea towel I popped into a frame, which doesn't look too bad.
    Nice applique bags too.
    Right - time to check out some countryside walks for the rest of the summer 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good idea to bag up all your new crafty projects like that. So easy then to have all the things you need in one place and you can choose what to work on as the mood takes you. Good luck with all of them x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.