Wednesday 8 July 2020

From Cardigan to Top


You may remember that some time ago, back at the start of lockdown, I unravelled this cardigan. It was definitely a lockdown project, something that I'd been meaning to do for a long time but never got round to. It was a lovely cardigan but never worn, and so a waste of yarn. 


I thought that the most useful thing I could make at this time of year was a t-shirt or top, so I started my search at Ravelry because you can filter their results by yarn weight, among many other things. I eventually narrowed it down to a few and settled on this pattern because it used the Aran weight yarn I had and was the kind of boxy fit I like in a top. There was something really liberating about re-using balls of yarn for this project, like it didn't matter if I didn't like it, I hadn't already committed to buying £30 of yarn especially for something. 


It's a very simple make - you could definitely make this top if you felt you were a beginner crocheter. You make two squares with a pattern that is mostly trebles with chain spaces to creates the gaps, joining them on the shoulders and side seams. Then you sew a couple more rows of trebles around each arm hole to create small sleeves.


I decided that I wanted the top a little longer than the design intended so I added a few rows of front and back post treble around the hem to add a little length. The pattern is crocheted side to side, so you can adjust the width during making but not the length.


I like the way the ribbing gathers the crochet in a little at the bottom, making is puff out around the top of the hem.


If I make another - which I almost certainly will - I think I would increase the starting chain so that the whole top is a little longer all round, which would save me making this waistband. I had a look on the designer's Etsy page and found this version of the pattern, where the rows are rotated by 90° and I like that too. This is probably the quickest garment I've ever crocheted, taking only a week or so. I used a 5mm hook and the yarn was Shiny Happy Cotton by Wool and the Gang. The colour I have is called "nude pink" but looking at their website I don't think they do that any more - "malibu" would be your closest.




12 comments:

  1. The cardigan Is so pretty on you, Gillian. I just love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shirt is very sweet and looks very nice on you,greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a keeper. I love it. I must say, I have made two kits from wool and the gang when they sponsored me and I wore both of them a few times but they didn't actually stand the test of time, everything was a bit baggy and shapeless. I think this top certainly will though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's all Greek to me! I can't crochet, but it's a lovely result and how satisfying to have recycled all that wool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, you! Such a lovely top,and I like the fact that if you layer it, you'd get little peeks of colour through! I like your waste not, want not thinking too x Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is gorgeous and that shade of pink really suits you. I have to say I prefer the little top to the cardigan, it's a style that is just so 'you'.

    What a quick job to do too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your top is lovely and so are you! Your needlework is so neat and precise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It suits you, the bottom row is a clever extension. Like it a lot. I think your length and my small size makes the fit different. I am starting to look like my gran more every day. She was as high as wide, I do hope I don't end that way XD All the models are small fragile women you probably could put on a sack and it would look fine. Us not so well ;>D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I personally think the ribbed bottom makes the piece! Like you said, I love the way it makes the bottom billowy. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the colour the ribbed bottom and above all the slimming effect! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very pretty top and a perfect colour. Great that you were able to reuse something you didn't wear into something you will. I am still a newby to crochet but I just might look at this pattern for a later date x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.