Friday 24 July 2020

End of term, end of primary school


It's all been going on here, the big and the little. I blinked and both our children appear to have left primary school. Here he is, after his school "Oscars", clutching his trophy for "Biggest Daydreamer" (spot on, I thought) which consists of the school mug stuffed full of sweets. He was beaming and so proud of himself. This year has not been easy for children (or adults too, for that matter) and I have been so thankful that he was able to return to school for the last six weeks of term. It made such a difference with how ready he feels to go to secondary school in September. 



We celebrated with a meal out at the kids' favourite burger place, 7Bone, which was our first meal out since February. Their safety measures and social distancing were brilliant, not that I was overly worried about that. I was more concerned about having my temperature taken upon entering and finding that it was too high and we wouldn't be allowed in, but fortunately nothing came between us and our dirty fries. 


I finished school a couple of days later, on Wednesday, and it was a strange old week at work.  I work in a pretty tight-knit school with a team that rub along pretty well together, but with Covid, and the lack of children, plus a few staff members leaving - it just all felt a bit sad. This was probably compounded by me handing in my notice from my role as Teaching Assistant, as I'm going back to university in September to do Teacher Training. I swing between excitement and terror, mostly terror if I'm honest, but the flowers and cupcakes did help.


Ziggy turned three. We bought him a stupidly big bone and called him Birthday Boy all day long.


He wore himself out, as you can see.


In house news, we painted out front door. I have never liked our uPVC front door which came with the house, but since there's nothing wrong with it we can't really justify replacing it....yet. I reasoned that I could not hate it more than I already did so why not paint it, just to cheer it up? I did a lot of research into painting uPVC before we committed and, after sanding the door lightly and making sure it was spotlessly clean, gave it two coats of this primer which comes in black or white. You have to leave it for five days to "cure" before adding your topcoat, or you could leave it black I suppose if you wanted. 


Then we gave it two coats of paint to match the blue balcony railings above, Woad by Little Greene Paint. 



I adore it, and so does John. I find people's reaction to painting this door hilarious though - people seem genuinely shocked. One set of neighbours called us "bold" while another wanted all the paint details from John as they were also wanting to paint their uPVC front door. Our window cleaner absolutely loved it. It makes me smile.

Saturday morning pancakes made a comeback after a long break. I do love the fluffy American ones but if it's just me having them I make these oat ones. They are made with 100g oats, 200g cottage cheese and 4 eggs. I blitz it all together with a stick blender and usually get nine from the batter, and eat two or three for breakfast. They are denser than the usual flour-based pancakes but I really like them.



Less healthy, but I also made fudge, from this recipe. I had 3/4 of a tin of evaporated milk to use up and just googled "recipes with evaporated milk" and fudge was the first to pop up. I think it's the best fudge I've made. After cooking, you leave it to cool for five minutes then beat it in the food mixer for five or ten minutes. This takes away the slightly glossy, chewy texture and makes it thicker and grainier, which I much prefer. I like my fudge really crumbly, maybe more like Scottish tablet. 


I also made chutney with the redcurrants I picked in the garden, and I think it's the best use I've found for redcurrants yet. I followed this recipe and it is so, so good - I think it's the Chinese Five Spice that really makes it work. 


I'm sure it's lovely with brie or any other soft cheese, but I found it was delicious with cream cheese on a ryvita. 


I ordered myself a new bedside table locker during lockdown, but it took ages to come because of covid, so it was quite a nice surprise when I unwrapped it. I love these lockers, and they come in the most gorgeous colours; I couldn't decide between forest green, mustard yellow, grey or white, but in the end pink won. 


 I picked my sampler up from the framers. They made such a beautiful job of framing it, I'm so glad I paid to have it done professionally rather than trying to do it myself. 


The garden is looking a bit parched and not quite so well tended as it was during April, May and June. 


 But I try not to be too critical, and ignore the dead plants, and focus on the nice bits. Like all these pears hanging over the fence from the garden that backs onto ours...


And there are sunflowers too, which always make me happy.


24 comments:

  1. As always, your photos are beautiful. Best of luck with the teacher training and new career. Love the door too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. University, how exciting, I am cheering you on. A friend did it and it was brilliant and she has a job she loves now. Well done Angus, a hard end to the year, but hopefully September will be great for them all. Well done on the door, you've made a lovely job of it, it's fantastic. I think you have probably started something now, everyone will be following suit. The 'bold' comment made me laugh. Have a lovely weekend my friend and a brilliant summer break, which I know is very well deserved. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Angus, that’s a big milestone. And congratulations to you too on making the decision to train as a teacher.i have a couple of friends who did this after being teaching assistants and they loved it. I think your door looks great but interesting how everyone likes to give their opinions! I’m all for being bold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Angus, an auspicious accolade. I have done the opposite career wise and have left teaching to be a TA! Gardens always look a little faded at this time of year but yours is looking good. Have a good Summer. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you and yours for making it to the end of term! Year 6 is bittersweet, but more adventures beckon. I applaud your decision to become a teacher! I trained in my 30s when my children were small and I so enjoy school life. I have been teaching part-time over the last year or so and I will be full-time again in September, so new beginnings for me too, really. Teaching is a wonderful career, complete with ups and downs just like any other, and I am sure you will absolutely love it. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You kept the teacher training super quiet! How exciting and what a new adventure for you. It is a challenging job but very rewarding, and you did the best thing by testing the water as a Teaching Assistant first. That's exactly what I did and it's the best way to do it. I hope you have a great summer and get lots of chances to relax and rest ready for the new term. Make sure you get everything done for the months ahead now as life doing a PGCE is a bit of a whirlwind and you're at Christmas before you know it! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bold is a statement, I am soooo jealous. We're allowed, ocre, canalbuilding green or white. I don't like yellows so boring white and green it is. So my garden at the front is one bold colourfull statement XD ( they did complain but had no valuable reason so I don't change it) Son and you are in for a great change, well done. Never to late for a new career. Your nightstand was strangly know until I realised I've a pink one too XD I wish you all a safe holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh gillian, congratulations to angus and to you, off to school. woot. well done. i am sure your will be welcomed as a teacher when the time comes. thank you for such a sweet, lovely post. it was a nice way to start my day with my tea. always appreciated and looked forward to. take care to you and your family. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck in your new chosen career. Love the front door, have been trying to convince my husband we could do this, seeing yours he is slowly coming round. Have a good summer hols

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post, very uplifting and the recipes are mouthwatering. Good luck for your studies - is it selfish to hope you still have time to post? I'm pleased Ziggy had a good birthday. It is a change when all 'the babies' are at secondary school, time seems to fly faster.... I'm now off to hunt for redcurrants for that chutney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! Best of luck with your teacher training. I’ve always wanted to do it but just didn’t get around to it because of one thing and another (plus I’m too old now). Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your're never too old! I finished my first year of teaching at 50 years of age last year. "Old" teachers are fab with lots of life experience behind them!

      Delete
  12. I love red currants and grow loads so have had to find different recipes for them and find that any recipe that calls for gooseberries can also be successfully made with red currants and one of our all time favourites is a tart with a meringue topping (http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7401/redcurrant-tart.aspx) the base is a lemon flavoured shortbread and the currants in the meringue topping gives the perfect combination of sweet and tart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on going back to uni! Will be one of the best things you've ever done! "Old" students rock and usually fly. And usually do far too much work! It's funny being at uni with the 19/early 20 year olds. I finished my first year of teaching last year and turned 50 too! We've got lots of life experience too. I was also bumped up 2 pay grades too due to my librarian/ school librarian experience. Have fun! I'll never go back to school libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to your son - being a daydreamer is good, maybe he will be an inventor or a creative type. I love your door - that was so brave to take a chance I would have been worried sick it ended up with black slime splodged everywhere for all the world to see! It's so bright and cheery. The locker is pretty too - no risk of those annoying cupmarks on a surface like that either. Good luck going to back to Uni - I think many people will be doing this so you got in at the right time before the stampede.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck for September Gillian you will make a fantastic teacher,you have so much to offer.I'm sure you old school will miss you terribly for all you have done there. Also, what a difference the paint job has made to your front of house, lifting it from ordinary to a real stunner.Happy holidays x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never commented before but you mentioning teacher training inspired me! I did exactly the same two years ago - I went from being a stay at home mum to full time trainee teacher! I was so scared and kept wondering if I'd made the right decision! But it was fantastic! I've just finished my NQT year and looking forward to getting back to normal in September. Best of luck with it all - you seem super organized which is definitely the way to manage a pgce.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to Angus on that milestone! He looks so happy, and it's wonderful that there was a sense of closure and normality at the end of this period. And huge congratulations to you on going in for teaching. The world needs good teachers. I think the pay of CEOs and teachers should be reversed. My mum was a primary teacher and loved it. The pupils loved her too - now that I've moved back to the village where I grew up and where she taught, I keep having people coming up to me in the street and telling me that my mum taught them and that she was the best teacher they had. Even if teachers aren't paid as they should be, that's a better legacy than that of a CEO!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're going to be a great teacher! It's always so nice to see a slice of your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! So much goodness in one post! Where do I even start my comment?!?!? First, congratulations on everyone having a successful school year...especially during such trying times. When we give our Anna Lee a chew bone, it always wears her out!! Love the door and the color! And I need to try both the pancake recipe and the currant chutney. And that locker!! Super cute! And the colors. Swoon. Anyway, so much goodness in one post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All the best for September Gillian, you're very brave. My husband used to teacher in seniors school and his parents before him were both teachers. I thought about it many years ago but know it's not for me. Lots of lovely photos, enjoy your summer break x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulation Gillian ! All the best with your new endeavour, you will make a wonderful teacher i am sure! Just stay safe and healthy and take good care!
    I hope you will continue blogging, I love your family and i am always feeling better after i read your blog. What do the kids say about you going back to school?
    Enjoy your summer holiday with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good day everyone reading this, My name is Sarah Keith and I am from the USA. I want to give a short testimony on how I was able to get a legit blank ATM card! As at last week I urgently needed money to pay my kids bills and get some stuffs for the home, I was having no where to get any help so I was online and I saw a post that Mr Alexander is giving out blank ATM card, So I have to give them a try because I needed money urgently I copied his email address and sent her a personal message applying for the blank card, I got a reply from him and I sent them all what they asked me to my greatest surprise they really delivered the card to me in my door steps, I got the card and went straight to the nearest ATM machine to give a try and it really works,I made a lot of money from the card!! Now am doing great and living good life with my family please if you are out there in need of help urgently please contact Mr Alexander  via email:alexenderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck with the teacher training. I'm sure you'll love it and do really well. I spent the last year and a half re-training as a nursery practitioner but while working on the job and in my own time. It's been hard work but really rewarding and feels so great now its finished. Enjoy the summer before you start x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.