Monday 15 June 2020

Almost Midsummer


Normal life has started to tentatively resume here and it's strange. I'm back at work full time, although not in the usual classroom or with the usual children, and Angus has returned to school, but he sadly won't be going off on his Year 6 residential as he was supposed to next week. I noted with regret that Bella's parents' evening should have been last week (I always like going to Bella's parents' evenings - teachers love her) and that, like so many other things, has been cancelled. Bella is still learning at home, and John is still furloughed so we're fifty percent there. It's been good for Angus to see his friends at school and Bella has been able to meet up with cousins and friends in the park - time away from family and the house has done them both the world of good. We were able to have lunch in my parents' beautiful garden yesterday and the Zoom catch ups are still going strong.


But, strangely, I am finding the easing of restrictions harder than the full, early lockdown. I think I felt a sense of togetherness and solidarity with everyone else that I don't feel now. I was motivated by the unexpected time at home, we powered through our list of DIY tasks, unsure how many weeks we'd have altogether. And then spring was over, and now we're almost at Midsummer and the weeks drift by. I think I've just completely had enough of it all. Of course I understand why it must be so, and I obediently follow all the rules, but my heart isn't in it anymore. I can only imagine how those still shielding must feel, with no tangible end in sight yet. 


But there has been good stuff happening, so much good stuff. John celebrated his birthday on a gorgeously hot day and we ate cookies and cream cake (looked better than it tasted if I'm honest) and went to the beach.


We've had some really lovely walks lately. 


Just our usual, local places, nothing that exciting, but everything is just bursting with that early summer green, full of wild flowers and lush ferns. 


These walks are so good for me, and for us as a family. Even if it's just an hour, together, wandering along the footpaths. 


Thank you all so much for your comments on my lockdown sampler. I am glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I did miss the rhythm of sewing a letter a day at first, but after a few days break I went straight into the next project - my English Paper Piecing patchwork quilt.


I have been slowly sewing hexies over the last couple of months in the evenings, in front of the TV, and have now used every single scrap of spare fabric I had, which feels wonderfully satisfying. I have the box above of coloured pieces, plus the neutrals below.


I have (I think) 995 hexagons altogether which is enough for 142 flower shapes made from 7 hexagons. My plan is to make them all then arrange them, for that pleasing random effect (that isn't actually random at all) and then sew them together. I don't know if this will give me a big enough quilt. I don't really know what I'm doing, let's be honest, but I'm having fun. I'm really loving the slow, organic, hand-sewing process of EPP so far. I think it's a good fit for me. 

17 comments:

  1. Your patience to sew all those little hexies amazes me - they will look fabulous when you put them together .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! A bit of disconnect. I've SO enjoyed beginning your blog(I'm up to 2013, now) but I saw this grown up BOY and it took me a few seconds to figure out that it was little Angus! Thank you for sharing your life with us. I'm from a little town in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That woodland path among the fern looks irresistible! As you know from my blog, I take such walks every chance I get, so I can fully understand what you mean when you say they are so good for you.
    Here, public life has largely resumed, but it all feels rather awkward with so many rules about distance, mandatory masks etc. still in place. Going to a restaurant, shopping or the hairdresser's is no fun, so I am not keen on doing any of that.
    Did you make the cushion cover with the swimmers/sunbathers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ys I can certainly relate to your feelings about the easing of covid restrictions. I will miss the quiet and slow pace of living, and having my husband home during the week, instead of commitments which take him out the house for 3 nights of the week.Here in Australia they are just starting to reopen interstate borders, and I must say it makes me feel vulnerable knowing there will be more cases of human transmission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, how beautifully neat they all are in their little boxes, you have no idea what a happy sigh I gave when I saw that. I know what you mean about your heart not being in it any more. The novelty has well and truly worn off, hasn't it. My middle boy would have been in France shortly, and my eldest would have finished his GCSEs on Friday and have had his prom last night. That feeling of having finished and worked so hard and being FREE would have been brilliant. But he is fine, happy enough, and not complaining. Love your countryside pictures, it really is beautiful out there at the moment isn't it. Thank goodness the weather has been so lovely, that has been a saving grace. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you did a lockdown sampler! So did I :), but it's in cross stitch. Took away a ton of stressful thoughts.

    " I was motivated by the unexpected time at home, we powered through our list of DIY tasks, unsure how many weeks we'd have altogether." - I love this thought. Sometimes we take granted time with our loved ones and time spent at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a chronic asthmatic and live on my own. Today is day 91 and I've left the house once when I totally trashed my glasses and had to get them sorted. It's even harder for me now, because things are opening up for other people it makes it so much worse being stuck at home. But I do like to read about what others are doing. I can't honestly see me being free to leave home before the end of the year which is frightening. My only hope is a vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy seeing your photos of family life and everyday things.
    Loving the patchwork quilt hexagons,they will look fantastic when you put them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I smiled at your observation, "Just our usual, local places, nothing that exciting," because your beautiful photos took me up and away to pretty places, far from our restricted existence in SE USA. Thank you! /Fay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those hexagons, so pretty. Thanks for flagging up Yoga With Adrienne, btw - it may be a silly question, but how do you do it while watching a youtube vid? I’d be cricking my neck every few seconds ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must admit, I’m finding these little relaxations of this and that a bit weird too. I love the fact we can actually go to the beach or moors now, but I’m definitely not rushing to go to non essential shops yet!
    Love your pics by the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy your blog. Your house is so neat, & your nature pictures are very soothing. I live in USA. What is EPP & did you cut ALL of the hexagons manually? You are an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing. Mary Ann Cauthen I will just watch your blog for these answers if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the hexagons! How do you make them? Fox gloves are such interesting flowers, I should check and see if they sell the plants around here. You got lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gracias por compartir fotos de tu hogar.

    Con todas las fotos de exteriores, recorremos también la naturaleza.
    Bien q has compartido con tus hermanas.

    Tengas buenos días.

    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  15. The lock down has reminded me that once upon a time, and really, not so far back in history, our world and social circles were so very much smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Housing Finance Pvt Ltd Thank

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you on the weirdness. I'm fortunate in that I get supermarket and veg box deliveries and only have myself to entertain. Mind you there were whoops of joy when my hairdresser phoned to make an appointment!
    What size are your hexies? The quilt I made years ago had 2 inch sides - yours looks much smaller.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.