Sunday 7 June 2020

Lockdown Embroidered Sampler


Hello my friends! I hope you are all well. Last weekend I sewed the final letter in my lockdown alphabet sampler and I wanted to show you the final sections. I have enjoyed this project enormously; making an hour to sew every day was a mental health lifesaver, and sharing one motif each day on Instagram made me accountable, so I made sure I did do it each day. I thoroughly enjoyed thinking about and sewing every single picture and keep changing my mind about my favourite. The rainbow for K. No, the books for R. No, the retro-looking sunshine for W which reminds me of vintage toys and childrens' picture books. No, it's the ball of yarn for M....etc...

I believe I had just sewed a sourdough loaf for S when I last shared this with you, so let's continue.

T was very nearly for Teaching (all that homeschooling!) but in the end was Tea, or a satin stitch cup to tea to symbolise the hot, caffeinated drinks that have kept me going through lockdown. When your day involves meals, homeschool, a dog walk, and not a lot else, those moments that punctuate your day become rather special, whether that's a well-made coffee from the machine mid morning or a cup of tea with something sweet late afternoon. I find people tend to be either tea or coffee drinkers whereas I love both. A cup of tea first thing, then coffee throughout the morning (the number of cups is dependent upon where I am and what I'm doing) and tea in the afternoon and evening. I've no idea why but there it is.



U is for utensils (thank you Jo!) to represent all the cooking we've done in this house during lockdown, in particular a satin stitch knife, wooden spoon and fish slice. On a good day, I am living my dream life, pottering around the kitchen all day with the radio on, but on a bad one I feel resentful of every meal I must prepare, serve and clean up, with absolutely no motivation to do anything. Fortunately those bad days are rare and I generally seek solace in our kitchen.


 
V is for Virus. What else could it be? I used French knots to create this version of covid-19 under a microscope.


 
W is for Weather, represented by a chain stitch sun. I am very thankful that the weather this spring has been so warm and dry - the sunniest spring since records began, apparently. It has made everything easier; time in the garden, walks, just my general mood and energy levels. Can you imagine how much harder lockdown would have been if it had rained every day?


 
X was hard but thankfully I have a son (and husband for that matter) who enjoy playing on the Xbox so I sewed a satin stitch controller. Since chatting to his friends online while playing Minecraft is one of Angus's main ways of staying in touch with his friends, I've had to reframe the way I think about his screen time and accept that, during lockdown, it has been more than usual and that is fine.


 
Y is for yoga, so here is someone in tree pose, done in satin stitch and I tried so hard with this one because it had to look like what it was - a person doing yoga. (No she's not a ballerina. I'd have sewn a tutu if she was.) I used to attend a regular weekly yoga class but since my teacher had to move premises the lessons stopped, and I miss it so much. During lockdown both John and I have been working our way through Yoga With Adriene's 30 day yoga programme, and now it's finished we're just trying different videos each day. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I'm much more likely to continue this than HIIT workouts.


 
And finally, Z is for Zoom. Of course, what else could it be, so I sewed an applique laptop. Ten weeks ago I'd never heard of this video conferencing app, but since then I've hosted a birthday party, attended staff meetings with colleagues, drunk cocktails with friends, shared quizzes with family and even "met up" with all my old friends from Leeds, all via Zoom. Thank goodness for technology.



And there we are; twenty six letters and twenty six images to commemorate this strange time in our history. I am going to get it framed as soon as the framing shop opens up. I have been wondering if I should add the date. I think I will, as this embroidery is so much about 2020, I feel that the year needs to be stitched on there too somewhere.

22 comments:

  1. Love it SOOOO much! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this idea and may "borrow" it to do a celebration Sampler for my 70th birthday year - in a year or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's brilliant Gillian. And of course, Z is for Zoom, what else. How handy, otherwise it might have been hard to come up with a Z. No zoo right now. I've thought so many times how fortunate it's been that we have had such glorious weather. It would have been so much harder if it had been wet. I have had sneaky half hours in the garden with a book in the afternoon from time to time. Absolute luxury. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your embroidery work is amazing and I loved seeing this sampler come together and your icons for each letter are fantastic. It needs the year or even the official start and end dates to lockdown. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work. Kathy, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!! I'd print some of your pictures of the alphabet sampler to put in my kitchen board...it's perfect to remember everything we are learning during these strange days!!!
    I am not good with embroidery so I do enjoy your work!!! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is absolutely beautiful. What a wonderful way to "document" what you and your family have been through during this very weird time in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sampler; what a wonderful reminder of the strange time we are all going through. Definitely put a date on it, it will become a piece of craft history for future generations. My equivalent has been to make a 'Quarantine Quilt', just a couple of blocks a day but enough to keep me sane. :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is absolutely beautiful! You do amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't say it often enough, your embroidery - especially the level of minute detail and skill - is just wonderful!
    Yes, the year should definitely be there somewhere. The Yoga lady is very obviously NOT a ballerina, neither by pose nor by clothes, and last but not least what sense would a ballerina make next to the letter Y, and what else would suite the Y better than Yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love this!!!! You have done fantastic job and it will be a great reminder in years to come! Oh, and the year most definitely needs to be on there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so had to laugh. On my screen the asana looked like a light bulb so I clicked your post and found out it was the Vrksasana. I'm a Raja yoga teacher in my free time for many many years so it really spoke to me. It indeed is the strangest year, starting with the fires in Australia. And it won't be over any time soon. The sister of my Gyu would marry in Seoul in Juli but the partying hard by the young Korean people gave a second wave of Covid. I don't know if my son and Gyu can go there as all is closed again. History is never in peoples mind. The second wave of the Spanish flu killed the most back in the days. Your embroidery is history worth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's brilliant...and how you get such detail!!! Amazing....and DONE!!! And now what? Won't you miss the rhythm of doing a letter a day?

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh gillian, marvelous my dear lady, just marvelous darling. thanks for sharing once again and making our day(s) a bit brighter. an inspiration to the future maybe for me! maybe.......(-: so much enjoyment following your posts. cheers to you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful embroidery work. I love all the little motifs! A really interesting way of stitching and, in time, it will be a memory for you of the surreal times that this year has brought. I wonder what you will create next? Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just gorgeous & well done you for seeing it through. It will be a gentle reminder of the strange times we went through in 2020. Take care, stay safe & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been following the progress of this sampler both here and on Insta. It is simply gorgeous. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful embroidery work Gillian. So special,and yes definately put the date on somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a truly wonderful account of the last three months. You have done yourself proud - keep cooking those wonderful meals! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, I love your blog so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is wonderful! I love it. Thank you so much for sharing. And I agree, it definitely needs the date incorporated somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful, you really can tell what each and everything is representing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.