Tuesday 3 March 2020

Sensum Sweater


Just one week back at school and work, and it's like we never had half term. The days are rushing by in their usual chaotic fashion but the evenings are lighter all the time which makes the world of difference.


Luckily it's still cold enough to wear the finished crochet project I have to share with you today: the Sensum Sweater by Eleven Handmade, who's Goldenrod Sweater I crocheted last year. I love her patterns. I think she has a clever designer's eye for crochet garments, and uses colours and shapes that appeal to me and are the kind of clothes I like to wear. 


This was a challenging pattern, with a repeat of treble and puff stitches that increases and decreases across the jumper, creating a sort of zigzag pattern.


Counting is involved and at times it was hard to visualise quite where it was all going but  - and I found this with the Goldenrod jumper - the pattern is good and you just have to read carefully and do what it says.  


I especially love the way the pattern works on the sleeves, and how they gather and puff out at the cuff.


The cuffs and hem are all worked by crocheting into the back loop only of a htc stitch, giving a gentle ribbed effect.


I couldn't easily find the suggested yarn (Lion Brand Scarfie) so used Rico Essentials Mega Chunky Wool in colourway 001, using 10 balls which I bought with a birthday gift voucher. I did a swatch test and decided to use the hook both yarn and pattern specified, 6 mm, which in hindsight I think was a mistake.


In terms of sizing, the pattern gives you four options which I took to be small, medium, large and extra large. I'm 5'11" and wear a UK size 14 so chose large. The jumper is absolutely enormous, as you can see. I worried for a while that it was just too big to actually be wearable, so what I did was gather up the side seams and secure them with running stitch, making the sides a couple of inches shorter than the front and back.


This makes a big difference to how it looks and feels when I'm wearing it. The sweater still hangs down a little at the front and back but I find it easier to wear, and it works with skinny jeans and leggings. On the plus side, the pattern is just gorgeous, it's incredibly warm, the yarn washes really well with no issues (important for such an impractical colour!) and I have received many compliments when wearing it. Most people seem to think the oversized shape is deliberate, and it is, but maybe not quite so oversized. When I make another - and I will definitely make another - I will go down a hook size and possibly make myself a medium rather than a large. 

It's tricky isn't it, making sure the clothes you crochet and knit fit you properly? I'm still learning so much about this but it's a learning curve that I'm happy to climb. I suspect that my crochet tension is quite loose so I think going down a hook size or more is always going to be a good idea for me. But I'm not put off, if anything I want to crochet even more clothes, especially while I'm not buying any new. Some summer tops would be nice, perhaps in cotton.

Right now I am making myself a pair of wrist warmers. I've just finished one and am happy to report that it's a perfect fit. :-)

19 comments:

  1. Wow.I am very impressed. I can't follow crochet patterns as I am left handed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely, what a clever, complicated pattern. Very nicely done and perfectly warm for these cold days. Although I believe Spring may be on the way... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is impressive and you carry it off wonderfully, with or without adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful sweater... I love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chunky jumpers, and this one looks great on you, oversized or not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the jumper Gillian it looks great on you. Thank you for all the inspiration you give.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sweater, It's pretty and looks so cozy!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great jumper, it looks really good on too, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job! Your sweater turned out beautifully. I saw this pattern a while back, I think it was on the Lion Brand website, and thought what a great looking pattern, but maybe too tricky for my skills. It sure looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a lovely sweater, my doubt always rises when I see the model wearing it hanging in a chair with an oversized model draped around her skinny body. She must have worn a small so I thought it would be huge in a large. Still need to make it though so I am so thankful you already did ;>p You're a dare devil making it in such a light colour indeed. I have a soft pink merino, ready to start. If you like a light and lovely yarn try Drops Linen, it's so beautiful and the colours are so summer like. I am curious how the Stylecraft cotton/ viscose will be, have to try that yarn too.
    Thanks for the fitting session,
    Tineke.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous sweater. I like the texture the pattern gives it and I'm impressed with how you altered it to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the new sweater. I think this designer makes her sweaters on the large side, as I found out when I made the Goldenrod sweater last year. I am 5ft tall so did adjust the length of it. I also did a running stitch around the neck to draw it up a bit. It was fine. I really like the zig zag pattern too. Looks good in the cream colour.I have just bought some cream 4ply to make another Goldenrod.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks gorgeous as an oversized jumper...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! I'm not usually a fan of big jumpers but that looks great. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great. A very good knitter once told me she always knits a size smaller than she wants and it is always a good fit. I tried it about 5 years ago and have had much better results. I always knit a smaller size than a 36 bust because there is so much ease in knitting and crocheted garments. Your side hack looks good. It would even look good with ribbons on the sides I think. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like a really fun project! I love how you have to just trust a pattern, how scary it feels to just keep on going and then somehow, miraculously it works!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pattern and your execution is absolutely lovely. I have found that when I crochet a sweater it tends to "grow" in every direction. Your experience seems to support that theory. I like your plan to change hook size and the smaller size you plan to make.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.