Tuesday 24 December 2019

Lots to Celebrate


It's been a busy week but a very lovely one. Bella turned thirteen and it all felt very grown up. Presents were few, smaller and cost more, and opened early before school.


No parties (I'm not especially sad that phase is over if I'm honest) but she chose to go shopping after school and have dinner out in Wagamama.


She still ordered off the children's menu though. :-)


The last week at work has been fun and my Secret Santa gift was particularly inspired.


A half day finish on Friday meant that we could go on one of our first after-work dog walks during daylight hours in a long time.


It has rained so much lately and everywhere is very muddy.


Saturday morning was spent at home, making cards, drinking coffee, planning menus and writing a huge shopping list.


This kitchen table scene makes me happy.


Later that day we went to the theatre to watch a pantomime with my parents, then had fish and chips for tea afterwards. Such a nice start to the holidays.


I have loved receiving Christmas cards this year. I persevere with this tradition because I think it's a nice way to stay in touch with people, plus it's one of the few times of the year when post is fun. My friend Charlotte made the card above from sea glass. 


Crafting is always what keeps me sane, and I found a few moments here and there this week to sew this little mistletoe hoop from last year's Winter Craftpod. It was the perfect seasonal project and I enjoyed every stitch.


Sunday was spent elving. We picked up the food shopping, baked mince pies and ginger cake, made peppermint bark, decorated the Christmas cake and made the gravy for Christmas day. 


Yesterday was similarly industrious; changing beds, vacuuming, washing, ironing, and generally getting the house ready for guests. And today will include picking up the turkey and ham, cooking the ham, making a yule log, making a tiramisu for those who don't like Christmas pudding, and preparing the vegetables for the big day. Christmas is hard work, isn't it?

But I have family around me and John to share the workload. I have food in the house, presents under the tree, and the promise of quiet home days once the big day has passed, so I do feel extremely fortunate. Oh, and I have lots of prosecco in the fridge too so I think I will make myself a kir royale later, and drink it while I listen to Carols from Kings.

Merry Christmas lovely people. I hope your day is filled with warmth and laughter. 



19 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas to you and your family - you have done so much towards having a memorable Christmas -the little treats and special times are the ones you remember. Happy birthday to Bella - she is growing up so quickly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of Ziggy in the boot is gorgeous. I'm glad Bella had a lovely birthday, and I hope you and yours all have a wonderful Christmas. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not been very good at keeping up with blogs this year, but wanted to send Christmas blessings from my house to yours. xx

    And especially to Ziggy - there is (almost) nothing which does "oh pity me, I am being abused in the shower!" as well as a muddy whippet πŸ•πŸΎπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Christmas to you and your family x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you and yours from Spain!!!!! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moments to cherish. Children seem to grow up so quickly.
    A very Merry Christmas to you and your family, Gillian. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas to you, John and the children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family!
    It has a been a while since i started reading your blog, and i think Christmas is the perfect time to write to you. I have been enjoying your blog tremendously, you have lovely children and i think both you and your husband are wonderful role models.
    It makes my heart sing to read your blog! So, have a wonderful holiday, and the best in the coming new year.I am looking forward to all your adventures and discoveries next year!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us your wonderful family.
    Martine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family, dear Gillian!
    I love the mistletoe and the card made with seaglass, what a great idea. Christmas is of course a lot less work for someone like me who lives single during the week and gets to spend the holidays with my own parents (Christmas Eve) and O.K.'s family (today and tomorrow), but the weeks (actually, months) leading up to it were so busy with work that I am truly ready for the break.
    Now you have a teenager in the house! I guess you wonder where those 13 years went...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the secret santa cup present...so perfect. Also a Lindt Reindeer...how cute - we don't have them in Australia however we do have the Lindt Bunnies at Easter time. Have a Merry Christmas...it's 7.08 pm in Australia Christmas Day and our celebrations are over, dishwasher on and table and chairs back in order. Loved reading your blog this year and seeing what craft projects you are up to you are very clever. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas!!! I wish you a peaceful day with your family...with crochet and pudding :)!!
    Thanks for sharing your life with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas to you, John, Bella and Angus. Hope you’ve had a wonderful day! Lovely photos, poor Ziggy doesn’t look too impressed with the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A belated Happy Birthday to Bella and a late Xmas greeting. Have a wonderful New Year & I'll catch up properly soon. Tech issues have been doing my head in of late, so way behind on the blog front. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I love your blog! You are such a talented woman and I feel lucky that you share your wonderful family through your photos and writing with me. You are a clever decorator and artist and I am always inspired by your lovely home and crafts. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds a most lovely time at your place. My son collects sea glass and I love the little card your friend made from the green pieces. How simple and sweet! I've not ever seen a Lindt reindeer; I don't think we get them here in Australia but then we don't have reindeer! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year!! Thank you for all you shared in 2019!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.