Saturday 7 December 2019

A Calm Blanket


I have crocheted a baby blanket for my friend and colleague Lucy, who has just had her first baby, such a special time. A few months ago, I showed her lots of photos of different kinds of blanket (granny square, ripple, zigzag, stripe) in varying styles (vintage, colourful, modern, colour block etc) and this was the one she loved the most, and I really love it too. 


The pattern is the Reese Blanket by Lakeside Loops. It's a great design in that it's one large repeated area of pattern, so it can be adapted easily. It gives instructions for Baby, Small, Medium and Large, and you can also make it into a scarf. Really clever. I chose to make the "small" size, which was a mistake as it was much bigger than I thought it would be and took ages - I started this at the end of October and have been working on it steadily ever since. I should have chosen the "baby" size which would have been perfect for a pram or crib, but never mind. The pattern is all trebles with chain stitches to create gaps, so while easy it does require careful counting. 


I especially like the border at the top and bottom. It is just rows of half trebles but crocheted into the back loop, to create a ribbed effect, like a cuff. I really like the contrast of the crisp while against the grey.


I like the way the absence of colour makes the pattern stand out more, and think I'd quite like to crochet one of these for myself. You may have noticed a certain photo bomber in these photos, a grey and white whippet who likes to snooze on the bed in the sun during the day when the door is left open...



I used Stylecraft Special Aran yarn in Silver and White with a 5 mm hook. I think it's the calmest blanket I've ever crocheted - here's hoping some of that calm rubs off onto the new baby.

13 comments:

  1. Very pretty Gillian. I really like the slight ruffled edge - feminine, but not over the top. (I cringe when I see your dog on all of that nice light colored bedding - he must be a much cleaner dog than my crew!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done. And a dog sleeping in the sun always brings a smile to my face. They really know how to do blissful don't they. Hope you're having a good weekend. I am freshly back from fishing, and trying to warm up. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful and will be an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work and will be loved and loved for years I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a winner, I hadn't thought of a one colour blanket before that shows off the design so well x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your crocheting is amazing and I love the colour and pattern. Very modern yet vintage at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blanket is beautiful and I'm sure will be put straight into good use with this cold weather. Its such a lovely gift isn't it to make a blanket for a new baby. Its a lovely pattern too not sure I've seen one like this before.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bigger blanket will last much longer and be more useful! Such a lovely colour and pattern, your friend will be so pleased x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Gillian & I see a certain dog loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blanket is gorgeous. I like your lovely dog too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful blanket... love the ruffle edge

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.