Monday 23 April 2018

I Knitted A Jumper


This post comes under the category of Posts I Never Thought I'd Write, including "I sewed a wearable item of clothing", "I successfully made macarons" and "I finally baked that sourdough loaf". My knitted jumper dreams are mainly centred around Sarah Lund style Faroese patterns and complicated Fair Isle colour work - beautiful but incredibly complicated and time consuming - but what do you know, I actually knitted a jumper, and just in time for a heat wave too! I try for seasonal crafting, I really do, but I'm a bit slow with the old needles. 


The pattern is the Dreaming Jumper by Wool and the Gang (you know I'm a big fan of them) which was very kindly - and patiently - gifted to me last November. I didn't really get going on it until the end of the year and then have been working on it off and on for about four months. I know, that's slow. Quicker or more experienced knitters would be able to knit this in a week or two, easily, as it's just four large garter stitch squares sewn together. 



And that's the beauty of it: it is the ultimate beginner's pattern for a knitted sweater. No increases or decreases, no purls, just cast on, knit, cast off. You might say dull. I say relaxing. Wool and the Gang kits are fab and come with everything you need including pattern, yarn, needles, darning needle and even a cute label to sew in, a nice touch.


The yarn is very soft, very chunky and a delight to knit with. It glides over the needles and has great stitch definition while still being a little fluffy. The kit came with six balls of my chosen colour Rocky Grey, but paranoid as I am about jumpers and coats never being long enough in the sleeve for me (I'm 5'11") I bought myself another ball of yarn in Bronzed Olive to edge the cuffs with. I love this block of colour at the end of each sleeve, and they are really, really long now.


The jumper is cloud-like. If I was ever to take it on holiday I would either have to wear it or give it it's own separate bag, as it is voluminous. Folding it is almost impossible.


It's a dream to wear, although perhaps not the most slimming item of clothing in my wardrobe, but if you're cosy who cares.


Angus, who was a little under the weather over the weekend, kept wearing it. He wants a blanket knitted in the same yarn as it it so soft and warm. I would also quite like to knit a blanket in this yarn, I just need to seriously save my pennies first. (Actually, the thought of a one colour blanket in this kind of yarn, with the emphasis on texture more than colour or pattern, is very appealing indeed. Very calming.)


Knitting this jumper has definitely brought back some of my knitting mojo, but also my desire to make more things to wear. I've crocheted and sewn so much for the house, and I will always want to do that, but it's fun to make things to wear too. I want to try my hand at a crochet cotton summer sweater next. 


But overall, a success. I knitted a jumper and I like it a lot. I just need winter to come back now so that I can wear it. 


23 comments:

  1. That's a fab jumper Gillian! I don't think I have ever seen knitting needles as big as yours. I imagine it knits up quite fast? Hope Angus is better today. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you. You really suit your bespoke jumper. Love the contrasting bands on the sleeves. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, it's awesome! You did a great job with it. I'm really impressed! It looks very nice on you as well. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! The harder is to knit the first one. Now that you began nothing is going to stop you. I know what I'm talking about ,believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NICE! Well done you, I love it. I'd love to knit something to wear, I haven't in years because they never fit, but I really must give it a go. Still in blanket mode here at the moment. It has the advantage of not needing any thinking at all and I know it will fit. Small boys do love to wear a good, big adult jumper don't they. My youngest is always squirming into my giant winter cardigan. Love that last photo of you, one to keep I think. Very you, and in your beautiful home. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I think the contrasting cuffs are brilliant and Angus looks adorable in it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love that sweater. Looks like something I might be able to knit to wear besides socks. Looks cute on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done you. You really suit your bespoke jumper. Love the contrasting bands on the sleeves. Great job.


    Genting Crown

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that last photo of you! And Angus wearing the jumper is a fun picture, too. Light grey is one of my favourite colours, and the jumper really looks cosy, although I'd probably want it even longer (not the sleeves, just the hem). I'm 5'10" so it would probably feel the perfect length for me.
    By the way, I can not knit at all - have never learned it - and therefore I pull my hat to your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is gorgeous, and I really like the contrast cuffs. The wool and the gang yarn looks dreamy... wouldn't a blanket be a splendid thing? Do hope Angus feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe how warm and cosy your jumper looks! Really great look with the two coloured sleeves and yes, a blanket in that yarn would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the knitting club Gillian! You may not be wearing my 'knitting ninja' badge just yet but that is a great sweater for cosy evenings, well doe you. I have just finished the crochet dress from the new spring/summer collection by WATG it is fantastic - I need the sunshine to model mine though! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forgot to say... you and your daughter look so alike, it is crazy!!! JO x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks amazing, so warm and cosy. I can only knit squares and scarves, but maybe, just maybe, even I could manage this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Gillian,
    Love, love, love it!!! I think therefore I knit. Or something.
    Also noticed your Observer books; I spotted several in a chazza in Falmouth the other day. They were £1.95 each. Is that cheap? I should have bought them, but am trying to not buy more stuff before our move. There were birds, dogs, churches, architecture and musical instruments..... I should have bought them...... I could have sent them to you..........dammit.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the jumper! The yellow is such a nice touch, and it looks so snuggly. Maybe I should persevere with the knitting malarky...

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely to see your latest make, Gillian! You inspire me to go search for a sweater to wear because it is cloudy and chilly here :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Gillian, the jumper looks fantastic! I love reading your blog and you have inspired me with your crochet. Now I would like to make the granny square blanket. Could you tell me the colours you used please. I can't wait to see your next project. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine. Which blanket do you mean? I have a few granny square ones - a throw which goes on the back of a chair in the living room or a big wool blanket on the bed. If you can give me a bit more information I will try to help.

      Delete
  19. The big wool one you have on your bed. Thank you so much for getting back to me. Christine x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.