Thursday 28 December 2017

Midwinter Pause


Hello! Everyone OK? Did you survive Christmas? Ours was lovely but I notice that I am relaxing more and more with each day that goes by. Christmas is wonderful but it's also exhausting, and I didn't even have to cook the big lunch.

My mother and father in law travelled down from Durham to spend some time with us and it was so nice to see them, and especially to watch the children bask in the glow of grandparent attention. We spent Christmas Eve pottering around the house, with myself mainly in the kitchen; boiling and roasting a ham, cooking a turkey crown and attempting a gingerbread house. It didn't get off to the most auspicious start, since the ready made kit I bought was broken in places. I repaired it with icing but the biscuit was starting to soften quite badly. Once Bella and Angus had decorated it, I left it for a day or two and hoped it would harden before I assembled it. But it didn't really, and the whole thing collapsed under it's own weight before I could even get a photo of it.

Christmas day was a blur of unwrapping gifts, eating, and trying to stop Ziggy stealing the turkey. My mum hosted lunch and excelled herself as usual. She does a mean Christmas lunch, and never even looks that hot or stressed, and everything is always delicious. Boxing Day, always a day I prefer, was calmer, with a walk on the beach then home for turkey and ham pie followed by cappuccino pavlova, before watching a film in front of the fire. I got out my embroidered napkins and it was so nice to use them, if only for one meal.

Yesterday, we woke to a dusting of snow. Nothing dramatic, but the first snow fall we've had since we moved here three years ago. Angus was so excited. He was out of bed, dressed and downstairs pulling on his wellies in about thirty seconds, before going outside to walk footprints all over the back garden. His delight was infectious, and I got a kick out of seeing our usual views transformed by the snow. But it also made me sad that he doesn't really remember any of the heavy snowfalls we experienced when we lived in Leeds. I hope we get at least one good snow this winter. I bet we don't though. Sadly, the unexpected snow, even though it was all melted by lunchtime, meant my in-laws left a day early as they were worried about the long drive home. 

Today was cold, frosty and sunny, and tonight is supposed to be the coldest night of the year. I spent most of today at home, sorting out presents, putting things away, doing washing, vacuuming, clearing out the fridge. We have more guests arriving on Saturday so tomorrow I need to start thinking about that -  planning meals, shopping, getting the spare bedroom ready again, making the house presentable. 

Father Christmas was kind this year. New nightwear, jewellery, cookery books, clothes - including one of those fantastic blanket scarves that are so toasty - and a lot of chocolate were all wonderful but my favourite gift is this pair of slippers, from John. Ziggy destroyed my other ones, and I badly needed a new pair. I adore these. They are so warm and comfortable. I did drop very heavy hints - they are from here


He also gave me some scented soy candles and matches pretty enough to earn their place on the mantel from the excellent The Botanical Candle Co.


I thought you would all like this beautiful print, a gift from my parents. from local shop Winter's Moon. The black background sets of those plant shapes and colours so well.


And this necklace from my friend Charlotte is from a etsy seller I'd never come across before, but I think I'll be looking there in future. Mustard, grey and navy, my favourite colours.


Oh, and Ziggy has a smart new Harris tweed collar, isn't he looking handsome in it?


And now we are entering one of my favourite times of the year. Apart from friends coming to stay this weekend, I don't have a whole lot planned over the next week. There will certainly be walking, reading and sitting in front of the fire. I am almost finished with Bella and Angus's Christmas New Year's gifts, and we might go to the cinema at some point. (I really want to see Paddington 2 before it stops showing.) I will certainly get out a jigsaw or two and eat up some Christmas cake. But that's about it. A midwinter pause. 

22 comments:

  1. Such a lovely, cosy sounding Christmas. Your new slippers look super comfy and Ziggy does indeed look very handsome! Enjoy the rest of your Christmas break and best wishes to you and your family for 2018. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ziggy is growing up so quickly Gillian. I loved all your pictures and reading about your Christmas. Enjoy New Year and the Pauses :0)
    Jacquie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Gillian & how the children are growing. I must admit that your slippers are gorgeous, as is that print. Hope you have a lovely New Year & enjoy whatever 2018 brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've blogged yesterday about this "in between" time which I like very much, even though it is not the cheerful Christmas mood but more a mix of being happy and sad.
    Your presents and Christmas activities all sound good! Harris Tweed is wonderful, isn't it; one of my favourite handbags I bought from houseoftweed.co.uk, and last year for Christmas, I gave O.K. an ipad slip made of Harris tweed (and a bottle of Harris Gin, to stay in tune with the theme).
    The print your parents gave you is very beautiful, it suits your home so much!
    No snow here; our Christmas was grey-brown-green :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely pictures, all beautiful. Have a good New Years Eve and a really fine 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas, wishing you a very happy new year. And yes, go see Paddington 2, I went with the 19 year old and we Loved it! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Boxing Day too, we usually go to the beach and run and breathe in all that air and enjoy all the space. We went the day after this year, because of the weather. I do love to see a nice old pier, I like to imagine people strolling up and down it years ago. Just a whisper of snow here too, I have new sledges in the garage that were bought years ago and have never been used. Glad you had a good Christmas. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures, it all looks very homely and festive at your house. I love the Harris tweed dollar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write so beautifully with a sense of calmness and peace. A happy house indeed.

    I've just started my "midwinter pause" delayed somewhat due to having grandma duties during the school hols. Today is the first day I've felt able to be slow and properly pause.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a heavy snow fall today but all gone already tonight. My mum ended up going home a day earlier than planned when she came for her pre Christmas visit - a bit disappointing for her especially when the deep snow forecast didn't materialise - but we couldn't take the chance.
    Your photos captured a lovely Christmas - have a nice rest between guests.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading your post very much. So many similarities though countries apart.
    We have lots of snow and are in day 5 of extreme cold temperatures here in Canada; however, this is a great excuse to hang around the fireplace and drink hot concoctions!
    Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually went outside and dug the garden on boxing day morning! It felt nice to be outside in the fresh air. Glad you are winding down. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super happy Christmas thanks again for letting us have a glimpse into your home x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Gillian,
    I am coveting the print from your parents very much. I'm glad that Christmas was kind to you. Some lovely, well deserved gifts for someone who I suspect is very generous in the giving of lovely things. I also love Angus's badger hat and gloves. Long may our little boys have that carefree sense of self that allow them to enjoy these things. Olly has not removed his Santa hat for the entire festive period. Wishing you and your lovely family a very happy new year.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful collection of photos and it sounds like a lovely Christmas! The Winter's Moon print is beautiful. I love that box of matches, I have one too, still in a box waiting to move house with me though sadly! I have really enjoyed reading your posts this year (though I havne't left many comments, life has been so busy I've fallen into a pattern of reading posts but feeling too tired to comment!). Wishing you all the best for 2018, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Gillian, I have enjoyed your posts, thank you for sharing. I'm inspired to do something similar, haven't a clue how to start.
    Meanwhile I have emailed you about sewing mice..... from some time ago.
    Very best wishes for a happy new year. Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sally, I have just replied. :-)

      Kind regards,
      Gillian

      Delete
  17. Lovely photos, Ziggy looks so calm and contemplative. We traveled to Hampshire after Christmas to visit family. Happy New year for 2018. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi your Christmas sounds lovely and I cannot get over the size of your dog now. Happy New Year. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are still managing some gentle holiday time days... though friends staying with us have now left so I think today I may have to have a quietly sorting type of day. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I recognise that feeling of after-holiday calm...
    It is nice to see pictures of your children and dog. I'm sure the dog will be okay with those images 5 years hence, but the children? You can never get anything OFF the internet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jet, thank you for your comment.

      E-safety is something we discuss a lot at home, and one of the reasons my children do not yet have mobile phones. I always tell them if I am going to share a photo of them here or on instagram, and if they don't want me to then I don't. And obviously I would never share anything here that I thought would cause problems for them. In fact, compared to what many parent bloggers share, I think my two get off quite lightly.

      Kind regards,
      Gillian

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.