Sunday 24 December 2017

All the Christmas Feels


The last week has passed in an exhausting, festive blur and while it's been fun, I'm ready to stop now. We finished work and school on Thursday lunchtime. My colleague gave me a manicure after work and I was feeling bold so I chose to add glitter to my nails. I rarely paint my nails (the drying time interferes with crafting) but I love this bit of Christmas sparkle. Then we got dressed up and went out for our staff Christmas party which was brilliant fun. It's so nice to get dressed up sometimes, and see all my lovely colleagues in their beautiful outfits when we usually see each other in our everyday work clothes. 

Friday and yesterday were industrious and productive. John took the kids and the dog out for a couple of hours so I could clean the house, which was in a pretty disgusting state. I did enjoy this brief moment of solo housework and tidying up the piles of crap that accumulate all around the house when we are busy. I get so little time alone, to myself, and I treasure it, even if I am steam cleaning the floors. The Big Food Shop was delivered, then I went to Waitrose to collect the turkey and ham and buy everything that was out of stock in my order. I have done five loads of washing and a large pile of ironing. The gifts are wrapped, but they won't be put under the tree until tomorrow morning because Ziggy will, without question, rip them all open if we do. Our Christmas tree is currently dressed in a unique style in which all the baubles and decorations are on the top third of the branches, so badly does Ziggy want to get to them all. The monkey. I do love him though - he is snuggled up against me right now, snuffling and snoozing, like a noisy velvety hot water bottle. While his blue eyes have faded, his fur is still so, so soft. It's lovely. 

I have baked, and then baked some more. Most of this was done last weekend. Do you remember the little baked bean tin Christmas cakes I made back in November? Well I gave them a little festive icing.


I bought ready rolled marzipan and fondant icing and just cut out disks in the same size as the cakes.


Then I finished them with a little ready made edible cupcake topper. Aren't they adorable? Anything miniature is always appealing to me. I initially made these for my grandparents but they also made excellent teacher gifts along with a jar of chilli jam and a bag of peppermint bark.


The peppermint bark I made exactly the same way as last time, and made sure there was lots leftover for us. 


 And there was just enough marzipan and icing left over to ice our Christmas cake. I don't usually bother but it seemed a shame to throw the leftovers away, and I only iced the top.



Finally, I made a Yule Log. I haven't made one of these for a few years and I'd forgotten how much fun they are to decorate. They are much easier to make than you would think - I followed the recipe in Nigella Christmas - and totally delicious. We ate half for dessert last night and will finish it tonight. 


If all that sugar looks a bit much, don't worry, we have fruit in the house. Don't the clementines look beautiful with their green leaves still attached?


But now, I am stopping. My in-laws arrived yesterday afternoon and there is not a lot more I can do to prepare for Christmas, so It's time to enjoy it. I have made my peace with the fact that, for the first time ever, Bella and Angus's crocheted toys are not going to be ready for tomorrow. It doesn't matter. They don't mind. They will have lots of other things to unwrap and we are calling them New Year presents now. I felt guilty for a while but I'm over it. I can't do everything. 

I think we'll take the dogs for a walk this morning (my in-laws have a Jack Russell) and then maybe go out somewhere for tea and cake this afternoon. Or just chill at home, I'm not sure. I've got prosecco in the fridge, chilling, and I bought some Chambord so I can make myself a kir. It's my Christmas Eve tradition.

Merry Christmas friends! I hope you all have a happy, peaceful time with lots of laughter and good food. No doubt I'll be popping back here before New Year so say hello. 







21 comments:

  1. Looking beautiful... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to compliment you on all your hard work - the photos of your makes and bakes and decor are lovely - we seem quite alike in trying to do so much with our time but sit back now and enjoy - have a wonderful Christmas with your family. Viv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've been doing some work... everything looks delicious. I miss mince pies myself but never tried to cook them. I think I should.

    Have a wonderful Chritmas with your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! Love from Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. you've been super busy. Have a wonderful happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family Gillian. Relax and enjoy. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a lovely Christmas - I know I dont post often here or on Instagram and when I do I tend to ask a question lol - so I just want to say a big thank you for your posts xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you and your family. With warm wishes Manon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Christmas, Gillian. Have a wonderful time. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous festive photos, it's looking so cosy with you. I still need to make a yule log, one of my favourite things, although it used to be a lot better when I was little and I got to eat the end piece. I hope you and yours have a wonderful day filled with love, peace and contentment. Hugs, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas Gillian, have a lovely time. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas! Your blog is absolutely lovely and I enjoy reading every post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Christmas Gillian. I hope you enjoyed the kir, it was well deserved xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your yule cake is beautiful. I watched how to make them on the Great British Baking show today, and I plan to make one next year at winter solstice. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, dear Gillian!
    Everything you have made or baked looks fantastic, and I am deeply impressed with the yule log. Christmas at your place sounds like a wonderful warm, cosy affair, yet lively at the same time, with plenty of great food and drinks, a lot of happiness, chatting and laughter, maybe some singing?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post. Everything looks gorgeous. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and thanks for all the lovely news and crafting throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a very Merry Christmas lovely G. Everything looks beautiful and I’m left with an urge to make a Yule log!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post. As I'm catch-up with blog reading, I do hope you had a lovely Xmas & am now wishing you A Happy New Year. Take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful cakes, the small ones and the big one. I hope you've had lovely christmas-days. We had.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.