Sunday 29 October 2017

At Home

Look closely at the upstairs window...

Our half term break has involved a lot of home days and I've enjoyed doing all the things I never get time to do during term time, like cooking meals that take a while, baking during the day, clearing out cupboards, sorting through drawers, hanging pictures. Nesting, but with a fair amount of running around after the dog thrown in for good measure. He keeps me on my toes. We've also had some nice days out and when the weather has cooperated we've gone on lots of dog walks, which are improving. Ziggy even wags his tail now. We visited Marwell Zoo on one day, and drove up to my friend Abigail's new house on another, and that was absolutely lovely - their house, and seeing her and my goddaughters. 

I've been rearranging a few corners of our home lately, and you saw our repainted porch a couple of weeks ago, but I've enjoyed hanging pictures in different places and creating some gallery walls. I hung these picture together above the sideboard in the living room. A few of them were from the kitchen, one from the porch, another from our bedroom. What can I say, I like moving things around.


And in the kitchen, I have hung my four framed embroideries - two are holiday diaries and the other two alphabet samplers were kits from Posie Gets Cozy. I really like them all together and look at them a lot more here.


And in the spare room, where previously had stood a white sideboard filled with games and a TV that no-one watched, we now have all our CDs together. How old fashioned we are, keeping our CDs! I'd gladly see the back of all of them - we have a Spotify subscription and listen to all our music through two Sonos speakers - but John is very attached to them. Some are very rare, apparently....  It's also a good place to put the cheese plant so that Ziggy can't harass it quite so much. That poor plant - the leaves really must be tasty.


Another of my half term jobs was to sand and stain our coffee table. A couple of years ago I varnished it, but I never liked the slightly orange tone of the varnish, or the high gloss finish. So I sanded it back and treated it with some clear Danish wood oil, and I love how the natural tones of the wood show through now, and it's matt texture.


We recently renewed a lot of our essential household items which were getting really worn out; cutlery, towels, bath mats, fitted sheets, duvet sets. Our towels especially, were suddenly in a shocking state - faded, worn, even torn in places! I blame the children. It seemed a lot of money to spend all in one go but it was so nice to get into a bed made up with freshly washed, brand new bedding, and dry myself with thick, fluffy towels. And when you think how much use these day to day household items withstand, then I don't begrudge the money spent on them so much. It's just that I'd rather have bought yarn. 


Bella enjoyed choosing herself this duvet set and I was happy to be able to say yes, when so often I seem to be saying no to her requests at the moment.


Other half term news: I didn't win the Craft Blogger award at the Amara IBAs, but thank you so much to all you voted for me. I didn't expect to win: I'm not here enough, I don't engage enough with the blogging world, I don't put the time and money into my blogging that others do, and that's ok, because I have a job, children, a dog and a busy life. I love being here, even if it's this infrequently, and I love blogging. But, excitingly, we had a photographer and stylist here this week to photograph our house for a magazine. Yes, that did happen before, two years ago, but we've redecorated a lot since then as well as creating the kitchen-diner, so hopefully it all looks very different. I don't yet know where or when it will be published, but I will certainly let you all know.

It's back to work for me tomorrow. I don't mind. I feel like a got a lot accomplished this half term and am ready for whatever the next eight weeks throws at me. I've started a new, easy, crochet project, a cowl using up lots of scraps of cashmerino yarn and, now that the clocks have gone back, I have a few new crime fiction books lined up, including an Agatha Christie, my favourite kind of autumn/winter reading. I am very keen to go to the cinema to see the new Murder on the Orient Express film. I also have my evening TV viewing sorted as the second season of Stranger Things has just begun. Did anyone else enjoy the first season? I thought it was one of the best things I watched last year, and so far the second is as good, although nothing much has happened yet, we just know that it's going to. We also recently enjoyed Mindhunter, on Netflix, which is set in the late 70s in the FBI as they begin to work with and understand more about serial killers and criminal psychology. Very good. Can you tell I'm starting to hibernate? 

Have a great week my lovely blogging friends. 








21 comments:

  1. We've seen through episode 5 of the new Stranger Things season and we have really enjoyed it. I started Mindhunter too. Have you read John Douglas's books? I think you'd like them. I think the show is good but I love his books. How exciting to have a photographer come to your house again. Clearly the media world thinks highly of your home decor expertise. I think you were a great contender for the crafting award, I'm sorry you didn't win, but like you said, it takes a huge investment of time and money to be a big blog. I will never be able to put in anything like what would be required for that, it's just not who I am, even if I had the resources. I used to think that it was something to aspire to, but I don't anymore. I'm blogging for fun and to connect with other people. Any small income or exposure I get is gravy, as they say. I think your blog is interesting, informative and attractive, and you capture you own life beautifully, which is what I read blogs for, period. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had half your enthusiasm for re-arranging things and making a nice lovely home. By the time I have done the hoovering I am usually so depressed that I want to move out - everything borders on shabby, furniture scuffed and partly destroyed by a now grown up dog. It looks just so lovey and homely at yours. New sheets are one of the best treats I can imagine. I don't know if that makes a bit sad? I love to visit here and find inspiration and happiness. I come here as a friend, I love to read about your lives and see your children grow older. I am sorry you didn't win the award, I think you should have. Oh and CDs, we seem to have far too many gathering dust. I don't know why Richard can't part with them! Have a lovely week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Gillian & I so enjoy seeing how you decorate & rearrange & I've still got the magazine article from your Yorkshire home. Ziggy is certainly growing, as are those children of yours. I'll bet Bella is taller than me, as are all but two of my grandchildren are, although one of those is only a fraction shorter. We still have lots of CDs & use them quite often. Happy crafting/reading in Autumn. BTW, I enjoy your blog & sometimes it is just, maybe, the connection we have with our followers that is the best part & not necessarily being on the top of the list. You do beautiful work anyway & you should be proud. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit of murder in the darker evenings is an excellent thing isn't it. Your home is looking beautiful as ever, no doubt it will be a fantastic magazine piece. Love the samplers all together, so nicely done. Have a good week Gillian. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Stranger Things fan here, I absolutely loved the first season, I think a lot to do with the care and effort that was put into the set styling and costuming to be true to the 80s. I so appreciated that! It's not that I can remember the 80s much being born in '84, but the older I get the more that decade makes me feel nostalgic. Looking forward to starting the second season tonight!! Gorgeous pictures in your post, and Ziggy is really growing. Our five month old pup is quite handful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spooky photo! What a lovely half term you seem to have had. I love all your rearranged pictures and samplers. I enjoyed Mindhunter too - definitely one for chilly autumn evenings. Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you love blogging Gillian because I anticipate a Sunday night! I love that picture of Bella, the shape of her head and the eyelashes, it is such a swoon. Have a good week back. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gillian! I have spent the afternoon reading and rereading your posts I have missed while traveling and getting myself sorted back into a home routine. Getting to know your new pet is delightful, and Ziggy is so blessed to have your family to lovingly train him! Your holiday account is lovely and your holiday embroidery is brilliant! I waffle back and forth trying to pick a favorite motif...but I admire each one...and even the back of your project! I enjoy switching around my furniture and enjoy seeing your wonderful decorating choices...and am so happy for you, that your home is being featured again. I admire your crocheted, fruit, vegetables, owl, fingerless mitts... all. Then you challenge me with your interesting cooking and gardening to boot! So glad your grandpa is better and loved your family photos as well. Thanks for a good visit :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a lovely half term, I do enjoy your photographs of everyday... Certainly feeling the hibernation season here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your half term does indeed sound productive without being too stressful. I like the newly arranged pictures, and you know I absolutely love the embroidered holiday diaries and alphabets!
    But here is a funny little thing... I looked at all your pictures and really like what I see. But what instantly stuck out to me was that your husband is wearing New Balance trainers - I do, too :-)
    I was very late in discovering this brand which has been around for about 100 years (really, I have researched it). Ever since I bought them in the spring last year, they have fast turned into my favourite casual footwear. Sometimes I regret that I have to observe a business dress code at work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see the magazine - you have some lovely original ideas in your home and put things together well. That is some CD collection - it even beats my daughters collection that she has left here with me as her house is too small to take them! The best bit is by far your beautiful and creative embroideries - I bought a book to inspire me to get down to doing some but that is far as I have got. I once did some pillowcases for my friends as a wedding present with little freehand pictures of themselves embroidered in the corners they were quite cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely round up! It's the little things that bring pleasure - like your replacement towels and moving the pictures around - and the bigger stuff falls into place behind it. Your half-term sounds great - hope your return to work went equally smoothly Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Olá, vi por aqui lindas imagens. Feliz semana. cumprimentos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Gillian,
    Who on earth is in the window??
    Marc and the boys watch Stranger Things. I'm not good with supernatural. But I LOVED Mind Hunter! What can I say; I'm more of a serial killer girl. I'm hunkering down and cooking soups and planning chutney, Xmas cake and other kitchen activities. You seem happy, my friend. Good for you!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful decoration! I love how cozy it makes your space.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your home is so lovely and cozy. I love the wallpaper in Bella's room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It always looks so lovely round yours Gillian. Bella's room looks especially cosy. And very important for daughter's duvets not to show makeup or other spillages! I recently treated our bed to some new very plain white bed linen but could not resist embellishing the pillowcases with a fine white cotton picot crochet edge. Have you tried the Waitrose baked squash and blue cheese risotto I wonder. I am steadily working our way through the 25 Red Kuri squashes I grew this year and am desperately seeking new inspiration. I also love the grouping together of your samplers which reminds me I must finish Alicia's Christmas sampler from last year. I put it slightly unfinished into a frame for Christmas and it's been waiting patiently ever since. Have a lovely relaxing weekend. I think I may try cross stitching to "Alias Grace" when all the essentials are done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely autumn snapshots of family life. Isn't that photo of Bella lovely, you can see she is growing up!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just came across your blog and I have so enjoyed looking at all the beautiful photo.
    Wonderful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  20. We too need to replace household essentials like towels, pillows and duvet sets - as you say, it's expensive but worthwhile, too! Well done on reaching the shortlist for the IBAs - a fab achievement and very well deserved, love your projects and home styling x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.